Lucas Digne

villan-scott

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Due to how well players manage their bodies and diet etc.. we are seeing players perform at top level well into their 30s. So thoughts of 28 being "old" these days is hilarious. 

tbh I don't get the whole criticise a player for his age thing. Look at Ashley Young, imagine saying he was "old" when he was 28 !

But what about saying Ashley Young is getting old now? It’s not easy for him to play LB against pacy wingers these days and that’s not criticizing imo, only natural.

I’d expect Digne to be able to play at the same level at least 4-5 more years, maybe longer. Age is more of an issue when it comes to transfer value as that usually drops around 29-30. If we for some reason would want to sell Digne when he’s 30 we wouldn’t get much.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I said it before the contract Digne got has killed the competition, he is on probably 80k a week more than Targett. Targett could play like Maldini but Digne has to play because of his contract

I think we will also struggle to sign a left back for the same reason as the competition for the left back position is dead now

I don't know. 5 subs will help next season. I mean yesterday Robertson was subbed for the Greek kid and many teams change their FBs around when in european competition. I can remember years back when Spurs had Walker and Trippier as RB options and Pochettino would regularly rotate them.

Gerrard showed yesterday benching Coutinho he can leave his disciples out from time to time and Digne will probably pick up some injuries next season aswell.

6 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

But what about saying Ashley Young is getting old now? It’s not easy for him to play LB against pacy wingers these days and that’s not criticizing imo, only natural.

I’d expect Digne to be able to play at the same level at least 4-5 more years, maybe longer. Age is more of an issue when it comes to transfer value as that usually drops around 29-30. If we for some reason would want to sell Digne when he’s 30 we wouldn’t get much.

We'll get 4 seasons out of him at the top level and he is an excellent full back. I think he and Cash are good enough for us even in a Champions League push. Martinez (and Coutinho) is only other player in our squad you could say wouldn't be out of place in CL.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We'll get 4 seasons out of him at the top level and he is an excellent full back. I think he and Cash are good enough for us even in a Champions League push. Martinez (and Coutinho) is only other player in our squad you could say wouldn't be out of place in CL.

I agree, with the way Cash has been improving this season we now have two great full backs. Just need to add second options.

He is a clear improvment on Targett for sure. Having him give us room to nurture a bright young player. I''d sign a very talented 20 to 22 year old as cover who we can blood here and there for a season or two, till they prove themself as at least a solid back up / rotation option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

He is a clear improvment on Targett for sure. Having him give us room to nurture a bright young player. I''d sign a very talented 20 to 22 year old as cover who we can blood here and there for a season or two, till they prove themself as at least a solid back up / rotation option.

Isn't Chrisene meant to be that player?

Sometimes I still can't believe we actually signed him. We have one of the top 2/3 left backs in the league, and we just casually signed him in January.

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Sometimes I still can't believe we actually signed him. We have one of the top 2/3 left backs in the league, and we just casually signed him in January.

Not convinced by Chrisene only time will tell. But for me Chrisene needs a season on loan. Apparently we have a 15 / 16 year old on the books who is meant to be a Highly promising modern left back. But he is miles away from the level we require at the moment.

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I mean, not really? I didn't get the impression that Chrisene is a highly rated youth product. Don't think anyone was even talking about him until we loaned out Targett and had to rely on him for depth.

Think we'll really see the best of this guy next season after a solid uninterrupted pre-season. His quality is there for sure. Really like his energy and athleticism. A great addition who, given some time, will hopefully help us improve.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, not really? I didn't get the impression that Chrisene is a highly rated youth product. Don't think anyone was even talking about him until we loaned out Targett and had to rely on him for depth.

Didn't we pay big money for him to Exeter. Well big in terms of his age

Chrisene was very highly rated when signed, we paid a lot of money for him and reportedly beat Chelsea and Liverpool to his signature, he'd already played for Exeter's first team as a fifteen year old, is also an England Youth international at various age groups. And as far as I'm aware he's still very highly rated, the athletic did a piece on our academy suggesting that of all our youngsters inside the club he's the most highly rated, he's just been unfortuante that he's missed a lot of this season with injury.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Most highly rated of our kids by the academy staff apparently. No guarantees of course.

On 08/05/2022 at 06:37, VillaChris said:

Gerrard showed yesterday benching Coutinho he can leave his disciples out from time to time

Or he wants to leave him out vs Liverpool to give them an easier game and knew he’d be slated for that so benched him a game earlier ;)

Â