Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Imo

Digne is much better going forward than targett.

Digne is slightly below Targett in defending.

My criticism of Targett was that he almost wanted to play as a centre half. Based on yesterday that's more of a reflection on the limitations of konsa and mings. 

We now have no natural LB in the team until next season. FYI Targett wanted to leave the minute we bought a bit of competition for his place, but we shouldn’t have let him go if we needed him. And if we did, we should have pressed to get Hickey in too, now we have nobody. 

If Digne is out for the season as feared, then we could play five at the back with Young as a wing back? Not great but a tuff time to bring in a youngster like Chrisene. 

Chambers    Mings    Hause

Cash                                                  Young

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If Digne is out for the season as feared, then we could play five at the back with Young as a wing back? Not great but a tuff time to bring in a youngster like Chrisene. 

Chambers    Mings    Hause

Cash                                                  Young

Stevie isn’t gonna do that 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

5 games in one month in May for Young to play left back. Just not possible. Do we play Hause or Ming's in some of those games? McGinn even?

I guess we should have kept Targett in the event Digne was out.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Digne has shown he’s a good player going forward, but handing out very lucrative 4 year contracts to 29 year olds is still questionable. 

This was my problem with the signing of Digne. My concern is that Gerrard wants to bring in players with contracts that are going to be too much for the club. I don't want us to return to the dark days. 

• Like 1

Not going to happen but I would not mind if we went 5 at the back now if Digne is out for the season.

Mings, Chambers, Konsa is a better defense than just 2 of them. Cash and Young (or even Bailey in a pinch) should work as full backs. And Young would be less exposed.

Luiz and Sanson sitting and then Coutinho, Buendia behing whichever striker manages to put their boots on on their correct feet. Could also switch it up and use wingers as wingers when Coutinho tires.

Bit like the Chelsea formation. Will still be flawed but not as much as the current formation would be.

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

A few more forays into the transfer market like the Digne/Target episodes - well be flying next season eh lads ?🤣

I don't get this. If we didn't sign Digne and Targett got injured it would still be Young playing LB now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I don't get this. If we didn't sign Digne and Targett got injured it would still be Young playing LB now. 

True.

But Target isn't injured and Digne  is.

Bit like saying if we hadn't signed Micah Richards and signed Lewis Dunk instead. 

On 10/04/2022 at 07:53, Stratvillan said:

Imo

Digne is much better going forward than targett.

Digne is slightly below Targett in defending.

My criticism of Targett was that he almost wanted to play as a centre half. Based on yesterday that's more of a reflection on the limitations of konsa and mings. 

Targett tended to bottle it at times when things got tough  , and his positioning was woeful  

Digne hasn't been as good as I thought he would be (so far)  , but i believe he's still an upgrade on Targett 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, hippo said:

True.

But Target isn't injured and Digne  is.

In other circumstances Targett might have been injured and Digne not. You can't use that as a comparison because it's unknown at the time of purchasing the player. Fact is Digne is a much better player than Targett, we identified the position as a weak one and brought in someone better. Injuries happen at any time - It's unfortunate circumstances.

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Yeah against his will, then we would have had to listen to people slating Gerrards handling of our former player of the year. 

I honestly don’t think anyone, even the Gerrard haters, would have been critical of stopping Targett from flouncing out of the door a couple of weeks after we signed Digne and telling him to sit tight until summer when his options could be discussed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Yeah against his will, then we would have had to listen to people slating Gerrards handling of our former player of the year. 

Against his will? He's not a slave.  Players ask to leave clubs all the time doesn't mean they leave right away, we could just have said no and sold him in the summer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I honestly don’t think anyone, even the Gerrard haters, would have been critical of stopping Targett from flouncing out of the door a couple of weeks after we signed Digne and telling him to sit tight until summer when his options could be discussed.

Nothing surprises me anymore 

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Against his will? He's not a slave.  Players ask to leave clubs all the time doesn't mean they leave right away, we could just have said no and sold him in the summer.

Depends on what you think of the fact he wanted to go, I thought he had every right to leave. So wouldn’t have wanted to potentially bench him for 5 months

Â