Lucas Digne

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

That wasn't the issue but believe it if you want 😉

The issue was giving away a capable left back for practically nothing and assisting a rival who then finished above us. Left back is now returning to us and we got no benefit from the deal. Especially when Digne was missing a few games

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There were many that felt Digne was no better.

Also as I said at the time Targett has been a good professional at the club and had a great opportunity to play first team football and improve his chances of a move in the summer. He was surplus to requirement at Villa.  

I personally think it would have been a quite shitty to block his move when we also had Young. 

For what it's worth, I agree with both of you RE: Targett.

I didn't like the move either, and thought/thinks it made no sense. I get that he might have been forcing a move, but personally I'd probably have even forced him to stay for the greater good of the club.

The chain reaction led to people prematurely slating Digne.

No doubt who the better progressive LB is, but it would always have been better to have both IMO. ( Whilst not helping Newcastle to boot )

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

On 07/06/2022 at 09:35, Zatman said:

That wasn't the issue but believe it if you want 😉

The issue was giving away a capable left back for practically nothing and assisting a rival who then finished above us. Left back is now returning to us and we got no benefit from the deal. Especially when Digne was missing a few games

How has this worked out for you? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

How has this worked out for you? 

Well we are in the exact same situation, we still only have one left back especially with Digne returning late for pre season training

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

When did Newcastle become a rival?

Considering they finished above us, have richer owners and we are chasing the same long term goal 

Not sure what else to call them 😛

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well we are in the exact same situation, we still only have one left back especially with Digne returning late for pre season training

Precisely as you predicted then when you said we would be left with a player returning to us and no benefit from the initial loan deal. 

It's ok to say fair play, I got that one wrong guys. People respect it, I find. 

• Like 2

It's weird mate, the avfc hashtag on twitter has more Newcastle fans and Villa fans bickering than wannabe ITK's. 

You'd think both clubs would be somewhat spurring each other on to break the top 6 lol.

• Like 1

For them, when we celebrated their relegation with banners at Villa Park. Beating us 6-1 on their return (back in the Andy Carrol era) was a nice moment for them.

As others have said, there's nothing else to call them really. We're both investing to go for the same goal and we've both gone for similar or the same targets over the past couple Windows. (Digne and Carlos). Them, Leicester, West Ham and Wolves are our main rivals for breaking the Sky 6s dominance. 

Out of those 4 teams, Newcastle are the ones most able to spend their way in and we're both currently outsiders to that pack due to our finishes last year.

We may not have a big rivalry, but they are our biggest competition for the next couple seasons at least.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

For them, when we celebrated their relegation with banners at Villa Park. Beating us 6-1 on their return (back in the Andy Carrol era) was a nice moment for them.

As others have said, there's nothing else to call them really. We're both investing to go for the same goal and we've both gone for similar or the same targets over the past couple Windows. (Digne and Carlos). Them, Leicester, West Ham and Wolves are our main rivals for breaking the Sky 6s dominance. 

Out of those 4 teams, Newcastle are the ones most able to spend their way in and we're both currently outsiders to that pack due to our finishes last year.

We may not have a big rivalry, but they are our biggest competition for the next couple seasons at least.

Yeah, I couldn't be bothered by their fans and this one way rivalry...  That said, I'd rather this spark into something more legitimate between the two clubs than the Leeds v Villa rivalry the Dirty Leeds supporters tried to ship us on.  

20 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Not sure what Digne is doing at Aston Villa tbh. Too good for us. Should be at Man City 

Why would you even think that, let alone type it. Have you any respect for our football club?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Considering they finished above us, have richer owners and we are chasing the same long term goal 

Not sure what else to call them 😛

We have the better project. Better owners too IMO. The Saudi link has the potential to cause them all sorts of grief in the coming years. 

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

So when we sign another left back this summer what will be your complaint then?

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So when we sign another left back this summer what will be your complaint then?

Well we should only sign a young left back as understudy because a similarly aged left back for half the wages wont be a competition

Â