Lucas Digne

villan-scott

54 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Funny how those calling for Targett to come back and start are now very quiet.

Weren't people mostly wishing he was back to start instead of Young the times Digne has been injured? I don't believe you'd be able to find more than 1 example of anyone saying what you're suggesting.

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Weren't people mostly wishing he was back to start instead of Young the times Digne has been injured? I don't believe you'd be able to find more than 1 example of anyone saying what you're suggesting.

I seem to recall there were more than a few saying they didn't think he was much of an upgrade on Targett. 

edit: just read page 89

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

MOTM for me.

If only we managed to keep the ball higher up the pitch more often then his crosses and overlapping would be even more a threat 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I seem to recall there were more than a few saying they didn't think he was much of an upgrade on Targett. 

edit: just read page 89

I think that was a pretty fair opinion on April 9 that Targett had been better for Newcastle. Considering that was after a shocking result I think the few who were genuinely saying Targett would start was quite a measured response for this site! Even in the midst of a meltdown most of the posts seem to be saying it was a bit of a pointless signing and he's not that much better, rather than Matt Targett is better.

This guy is excellent isn't he. I think if he was a bit more of a natural athlete in terms of pace, strength etc then there wouldn't be a chance of him not playing for a top side still.

4 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It'a a moot point really as no one thought Digne would pick up the injuries he had so far and we won't have Young as backup next season either...surely.

Targett could've stayed but ultimately his value would've just gone down like so many others we've kept to warm the bench in recent years whereas now we should at least get 15m for him from someone.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It'a a moot point really as no one thought Digne would pick up the injuries he had so far and we won't have Young as backup next season either...surely.

Targett could've stayed but ultimately his value would've just gone down like so many others we've kept to warm the bench in recent years whereas now we should at least get 15m for him from someone.

If we get decent money for him it vindicates the decision. We've basically just bought players for 3 years and how well we sell is going to be vital to what we can do in the summer.  I do think we could have sold easily enough in the summer with half a season as 2nd choice without him kicking up a fuss or his value plummeting though.

I'm a fan of Digne and if Targett isn't willing to stay and be a decent backup I'd like to see us going for a younger, more forward thinking player to sit on the bench.

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

If we get decent money for him it vindicates the decision. We've basically just bought players for 3 years and how well we sell is going to be vital to what we can do in the summer.  I do think we could have sold easily enough in the summer with half a season as 2nd choice without him kicking up a fuss or his value plummeting though.

I'm a fan of Digne and if Targett isn't willing to stay and be a decent backup I'd like to see us going for a younger, more forward thinking player to sit on the bench.

I find it hard to believe we'd sell Targett for less given he's become a premier league regular since joining us and has played a big part in Newcastle staying up whether we like it or not.

Can't remember if he signed a new deal after his good year so he's either got 12 months left or a few years aswell.

He really shouldn't be that hard to sell which Gerrard will obviously green light.

Thought we paid 13 million or so for him, that's when he didn't have much 1st team experience in the Premier league?

So 3 years of Premier league action and first choice left back at our club now at Newcastle?

I can only presume the loan had various payments attached, loan fee 5 million, stay up another 5 million and fixed price to buy 15 million ? Otherwise it makes very little sense letting him go for pretty much what we paid for him as a prospect when he is now established.

Â