Lucas Digne

villan-scott

16 hours ago, Xela said:

I seem to recall there were more than a few saying they didn't think he was much of an upgrade on Targett. 

edit: just read page 89

Probably the same lot that were, giving dogs abuse to Buendia beginning of the season and have now tuned to giving Coutinho abuse, the same lot who wanted Ramsey to go on loan ,and to start Chuckwemeka then Chuck gets a few mins and all over sudden he’s crap, no pleasing some. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Indigo said:

This guy is excellent isn't he. I think if he was a bit more of a natural athlete in terms of pace, strength etc then there wouldn't be a chance of him not playing for a top side still.

How dare you insinuate Villa are not a top side 🤫.

On topic, his fitness levels took a fair while to get there after being out of action for a month and a half by the time he played for us. Injuries during the interim period until now hampered his full return to match fitness.

Now they're where they should be, we're seeing the best of him.  The perfect player for our desired formation, just needs the rest of the squad balance to be right and he'll be a star for us next year.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

He's superb. He's also shut up the "Targett was better and didnt need replacing" crowd. Yes LB wasnt the problem area that needed improving but if you get a chance to level up then you take it as Gerrard did.

• Like 3

He's starting to look a real coup.

5 hours ago, R.Bear said:

He's superb. He's also shut up the "Targett was better and didnt need replacing" crowd. Yes LB wasnt the problem area that needed improving but if you get a chance to level up then you take it as Gerrard did.

As you might know......I am still frustrated at CDM and was hoping in Jan we could have done something....but hey ho.

Hope we get this settled in the summer.

I guess you are right, it was an opportunity we just couldn't pass over.....but I would like to see a few big uns come in.

Edited by TRO

On 15/05/2022 at 16:12, Zatman said:

No surprise he has looked better when not expected to play like Roberto Carlos like his first few games

The funny thing is he's now playing like Roberto Carlos. 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2022 at 17:09, Xela said:

I seem to recall there were more than a few saying they didn't think he was much of an upgrade on Targett. 

edit: just read page 89

Hey, I'm on there :D

Tbf, I never thought he was a bad player, or not an upgrade on Targett, I was just sceptical it was a big enough upgrade to justify being one of the first signings for Gerrard, and concerned Targett looks a new player at Newcastle.

Bloody good at the weekend though, I'll be happy if we see that kind of performance from him a bit more regularly

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Hey, I'm on there :D

Tbf, I never thought he was a bad player, or not an upgrade on Targett, I was just sceptical it was a big enough upgrade to justify being one of the first signings for Gerrard, and concerned Targett looks a new player at Newcastle.

Bloody good at the weekend though, I'll be happy if we see that kind of performance from him a bit more regularly

Yeah hopefully I'm proved wrong. Injury history does worry me still hopefully he can stay fit next season

11 hours ago, MrBlack said:

How dare you insinuate Villa are not a top side 🤫.

On topic, his fitness levels took a fair while to get there after being out of action for a month and a half by the time he played for us. Injuries during the interim period until now hampered his full return to match fitness.

Now they're where they should be, we're seeing the best of him.  The perfect player for our desired formation, just needs the rest of the squad balance to be right and he'll be a star for us next year.

If he keeps going, he could possibly even sign for a top side like Barcelona one day!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

If you take from the United game. Where - Digne and Coutinho made their PL debuts for Villa - to now

The top three in key passes per 90 (passes leading to a shot) - we have Buendia top with 2.91, Digne 2.14, Coutinho 1.7, McGinn 1.31

Cash is 0.84, but he's scored a couple of goals in there too where Digne hasn't. 

Just goes to show how abundantly talented Digne is in this attacking full back role

• Like 2

Just now, MrBlack said:

And how we've criminally wasted Buendia. 🤦

Well, his numbers a bit skewed as he's played like 40% of the mins compared to the others in that time. It would be fairer for looking at his numbers since Gerrard came in (then all three of them have around the same 1000 mins+ time), which has him on 2.23. Still top but only just ahead of Digne

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well, his numbers a bit skewed as he's played like 40% of the mins compared to the others in that time. It would be fairer for looking at his numbers since Gerrard came in (then all three of them have around the same 1000 mins+ time), which has him on 2.23. Still top but only just ahead of Digne

It's still per 90 though,  so he's been more effective, despite being given limited game time in bit part roles. I don't think it is easier to create chances in 10-20 minute sub appearances.

That said, it does show Digne is really proving his worth. I look forward to him continuing this trend next season!

• Like 1

Â