Lucas Digne

villan-scott

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We had money to sign a DM in Jan, just Brighton turned down the bid for Bissouma and Bentancur chose to go to Spurs so makes no sense to then sign someone 4th or 5th down the list. Wait until the summer but also strengthen other areas of the team in meantime.

It's been very disjointed start here but hopefully he can stay fit for last few games so can hit the ground running in August.

Problem is in August he’ll be 29 which is far too old and I’d be surprised if he can still move.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah a good game from Digne. Strong, quick and accuracy with his passing.

Again another player who will benefit greatly from a preseason.

Which will probably be delayed if he gets a France call up. They have 4 internationals in June 🙄😂

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

One of the great mysteries of this season why people didn't rate him. Not when he signed as can understand concerns over his age but after watching him play.

To be fair, he wasn't very good the first few games and then an injury that was initially described as an 8 week absence would've set a few alarms off for those worried about the age.

For me, Digne wasn't the problem it was losing  the competition we finally had at LB by losing Targett. Looks like a good moe for Digne though, hopefully we get that competition in the summer from either Hickey or Chrisene or someone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

One of the great mysteries of this season why people didn't rate him. Not when he signed as can understand concerns over his age but after watching him play.

His crossing was fine today but he had 2 of the worst offsides I have seen. He might be technically better than Targett but I still have not seen anything that he is better

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

To be fair, he wasn't very good the first few games and then an injury that was initially described as an 8 week absence would've set a few alarms off for those worried about the age.

For me, Digne wasn't the problem it was losing  the competition we finally had at LB by losing Targett. Looks like a good moe for Digne though, hopefully we get that competition in the summer from either Hickey or Chrisene or someone

I thought he was fine v Man. United and then he played in unit that comfortably kept clean sheet at Everton so that was his first two games. Dunno what happened from Leeds game but I wouldn't say he was at fault for any of the goals (Mings was culpable for at least one of them). Then we had the disappointing results against Newcastle and Watford before he played in us keeping three clean sheets in a row. Then the injuries hit.

If we're saying he's not that great because he didn't close down a cross quickly enough v Watford then I'd take that all day long as Targett was miles worse in 19/20 in defensive play.

Think people need to chill, we'll sign a younger LB in the summer and given it's 5 subs he should get decent amount of minutes.

Meanwhile Matt Targett will sign for someone and they'll lose games and concede goals next season just as was happening here when he was starting every week up to the middle of January.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

His crossing was fine today but he had 2 of the worst offsides I have seen. He might be technically better than Targett but I still have not seen anything that he is better

His crossing is way Gerrard signed him, that's what he wants.

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I said it before the contract Digne got has killed the competition, he is on probably 80k a week more than Targett. Targett could play like Maldini but Digne has to play because of his contract

I think we will also struggle to sign a left back for the same reason as the competition for the left back position is dead now

I really like him and think there’s so much to come from him. He is certainly an upgrade on Targett.

Everton fans were gutted to see him go and we’re starting to see why. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's 28 years old. I have a jumper that is older. 

• Like 1

Due to how well players manage their bodies and diet etc.. we are seeing players perform at top level well into their 30s. So thoughts of 28 being "old" these days is hilarious. 

tbh I don't get the whole criticise a player for his age thing. Look at Ashley Young, imagine saying he was "old" when he was 28 !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Due to how well players manage their bodies and diet etc.. we are seeing players perform at top level well into their 30s. So thoughts of 28 being "old" these days is hilarious. 

tbh I don't get the whole criticise a player for his age thing. Look at Ashley Young, imagine saying he was "old" when he was 28 !

Zlatan would have stomped you if you called him old at 28.

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Zlatan would have stomped you if you called him old at 28.

or James Milner is too old to be signing at 28 !! Cristiano Ronaldo, he's too old at 28

Â