The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Favre under consideration according to Tom Collomose, I think he broke a few stories concerning us in the summer, including being the first to break the Bailey transfer. Say we'd face tought fight to get Gerrard.

Had a good track record with us lately. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Favre under consideration according to Tom Collomose, I think he broke a few stories concerning us in the summer, including being the first to break the Bailey transfer. Say we'd face tought fight to get Gerrard.

Interesting. Collomose used to write about Arsenal for evening standard as lived down in the smoke for a while. Think he's at the I paper now so don't know what connections he has involving us but is a decent reporter.

Favre is that safe hands type and his record is generally good at clubs he's managed in last decade.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Well yeah, but that’s hardly an inspiring list. Terry has never managed, and Lampard underachieved with a great Derby team, before underachieving with a great Chelsea team.

Problem with lampard is his teams are so leaky. 

• Like 2

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

Can’t say I agree with the AVB suggestions myself to be honest, would have Gerrard over him. His average term as a manager is just over a year 

He also speaks a little too freely about what's going on behind closed doors for my liking. Strikes me as being a little unprofessional.

• Like 1

Collomose article is pretty much the same as The Telegrah one from earlier that mentions Gerrard, Thomas Frank, Hasenhüttl, Hjulmand, and Fonseca, but he's also added Favre. So it seems quite speculative

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Well it could be the youth set up isn’t good enough ? And I’m sure Carney, Iroegbunam, Lindley. A&J Ramsey etc would relish learning from Gerrard after all he achieved in the game and I’m sure that will be a pre requisite of any new manager they’d be expected to promote youth… Agree though, I’d also rather have Farve. 

They won the youth cup in 2019 and it is a good league to bring through youth. Having such a massive squad made it hard though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Collomose article is pretty much the same as The Telegrah one from earlier that mentions Gerrard, Thomas Frank, Hasenhüttl, Hjulmand, and Fonseca, but he's also added Favre. So it seems quite speculative

Or, interesting that they chose to add him after the fact. It’s doubtful they suddenly remembered he exists. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

We are supposed to be ambitious, whether that means top 8 or top 6 who knows but Gerrard displays very little in the yes box column to be considered even worthy of a discussion.  If he didn’t have his name profile from being a player he wouldn’t even be in this discussion. He’s a trophy wife or show/media hit at the moment until he proves himself much much more.  If we are serious about having any ambition in top half of the table in the best league in the world we should be expecting a better fit of manager, a better qualified manager and a higher quality manager.  I want a proper manager not a show pony!

That's all well and good Nick, but the minute someone does suggest a more proven ambitious manager like Conte, Benitez etc. They get laughed off the forum and branded insane for even thinking they would even pick up the phone to Villa.

There is barely any happy medium on this forum with posters at times.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, useless said:

so basically..."name all the managers".

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Experience may not be high in their list of priorities. That doesn’t make it a gamble either, at least in so much as every appointment and signing the football club make is a gamble. They’re not just picking names out of a hat, at least I hope not. I expect them to do their due diligence and meet with these guys, if he doesn’t wow them then he won’t get the job. Despite what people may think, Purslow is a serious man, as are our owners. 

You might have a different set of priorities and that’s ok and I might agree with you to a certain extent depending on who is available, but I just don’t think any of this means they “don’t have a plan”.

You say due diligence, but with no track record, that just amounts to his attitude at the interview.

When you compare him with someone who has managed at the top level before it IS a gamble. 

Long term planning by it’s nature involves reducing risk and uncertainty as much as possible. That’s why it’s a plan.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wasn’t Favre heavily linked with Palace in the summer, only to pull out late in the process? I would suggest that makes him “available” to us. 

Yep, was envious of them when it seemed nailed on but that it came so close to happening would give me hope that we could pull it off. He's the ideal candidate for me.