The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

27 minutes ago, Hiney said:

Sacking Dean and replacing him with Steven Gerrard would be massively underwhelming 

It would be incredibly stupid.

For all Purslow's faults, I don't think he usually makes stupid decisions.

Hjulmand would be the worst appointment from the list. Was nothing special as a club manager and his team did well at the Euros.

Gerrard would be risky, he could be great but he could flop. It's the lack of experience and the fact Celtic went into dramatic decline last season and so how big are his achievements at Rangers. It'll be more learning on the job and I think that's not what we need.

Hassenhuttl has the experience and style of play to suit our players and would be a good appointment.

Potter would also be good as Brighton are well coached side and play good football. He would probably take the job but is he a blue nose? heard he might be a Villa fan? 

Nuno plays defensive football and isn't a fit for our players or what we want as a fanbase in terms of playing style.

Fonseca has lots of experience, has won trophies and his style of play would suit our squad. 

I'd like us to go after Emry too, he turned down Newcastle as it's a difficult project in FFP world and the owners look like they will be a disaster in terms of decision making

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I just hope we don't try to penny pinch.

The one job to get right, is the manager/Head coach.

Absolutely this.

We can chuck another £100m at the squad in January and still go down if we try to cut corners with the managerial appointment.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Absolutely this.

We can chuck another £100m at the squad in January and still go down if we try to cut corners with the managerial appointment.

Never been very good at cutting corners, long corners or short corners :)  

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Any new manager will have to instil a sense of belonging in to the players. They seem to be better in empty stadiums. I don’t think they can perform to the best of their abilities in front of the crowds. 

I completely agree. Lockdown saved us and then a full season of it was our best in years. Not a coincidence imo

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Absolutely this.

We won't. We will go all out for a name...unfortunately I don't think even with our spending power and ambitions we are quite the level we need to buy to get one of them.

It's a sticky situation  now. I hope we have already sounded someone out along with their backroom staff

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Well Gerrard will piss off to Liverpool first chance he gets anyway.

keep seeing this and don't get it. that's the way it is for a team like us.

emi would piss off to utd first chance he gets

ollie would piss of to arsenal if he had a chance

konsa, cash, mings, dougie...any of our players will get poached by a bigger name at some point. why does no one say when we're signing these players "nah don't want them...just using us as a stepping stone"

for gerrard to be offered the liverpool job, do you not realise that he will probably have to get us into europe before being offered that job? surely that's a good thing? i'd rather that than a manager whose stock is high enough that they could be a catastrophic failure and still get a job after. gerrard knows he needs to give 110%

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I'd like us to go after Emry too, he turned down Newcastle as it's a difficult project in FFP world and the owners look like they will be a disaster in terms of decision making

villarreal are a decent team, might get out of the CL group, might drop in to the EL where Emery seemingly has everyones number, despite them doing not a fat lot in the league there's still enough footballing reason to stay where he is

also think that the media would sharpen their knives for him again and it would royally piss me off, he'd be the arsenal failure

thats the only silver lining to gerrard, they'd be lining up to pucker up

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

for gerrard to be offered the liverpool job, do you not realise that he will probably have to get us into europe before being offered that job? surely that's a good thing? i'd rather that than a manager whose stock is high enough that they could be a catastrophic failure and still get a job after. gerrard knows he needs to give 110%

whilst i agree with the sentiment the danger is that we are a club with owners who will put money in but a top class academy

any manager coming here to make a 2 year audition will pick the former over the latter and im not sold on where that could leave us, look at say rodriquez at everton, as soon as ancelotti had gone he wanted out

we need a manager that even if he does leave due to being successful after say 2 or 3 years he leaves us with the academy lads looking like the next decade of the club

• Like 1