The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Gerrard would not be good for bringing youth through either, don't think there is any regular starters for them who came through their academy apart from Nathan Patterson who is still 2nd choice right back. The likes of Favre would be different level entirely with a proven track record when it comes to bringing though our youth.

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Why are some people acting like hiring Gerrard would be similar to Derby with Lampard and Rooney, or if we hired Terry, or even when Rangers signed Gerrard?

I think for some (and this part isn’t really an issue for me) it’s probably also the fact that from a media perspective he’s bigger than the club. We become “Steven Gerrard’s Aston Villa” like Derby were “Frank Lampard’s Derby”… every match report or commentary or whatever becomes about the manager proving himself for a bigger job. Which is just tiring in the same way as every comment on every game for the last few years was “but will Grealish stay in the summer?” 

As you say he clearly knows how to manage. I don’t think SPL adds any more credibility than if we appointed someone from League 1 though and that’s the other side of what I think you’re hearing from people. But then on the other hand we did that with John Gregory and it was fine! _Starts studying League One table_

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

The same bloke who learnt his trade in the swedish league? It seems strange that a bloke with what two years at Brighton and half a season at Swansea is the right man for Villa. But if you think of Villa as a small club youll get a small manager.

Which big name manager do you want to come and manage 16th place Villa then?

If Gerrard's plan is to come to us in order to use us as a stepping stone to get the Liverpool job, then he'd have to do awfully well with us for that to work, because they aren't going to appoint him off the back of getting us around top seven or whatever, they're a club competing for titles and European Cups, he'd probably have to be our most succesful manager since Little, maybe even Atkinson to be considered for the Liverpool job.

In a strange way he'd almost be better off staying at Rangers than joining us if the Liverpool job is his ultimate aim, because he'd far more likely get the Liverpool job owing to constantly succeeding with Rangers than he would with finishing around seventh or eight with us.

In other words if he was to join us and eventually end up at Liverpool it would be because he would have been extremely succesful.

Edited by useless
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Why would Gerrard turn down the endless riches of Newcastle then choose us a couple of weeks later ?

Because Newcastle is a really shit job right now, even with those riches. Sure you have a load to spend in Jan, but that's the only positive, you also have -

- A shit squad

- A relegation fight

- Shit facilities

- a fanbase expecting them to become the next Man City/PSG

- A new board expecting them to become the next Man City/PSG

- did I mention they have a really shit squad?

Whoever was the first to take that job was always going to be set up to fail, as they basically need someone to come in, steady the ship and build a platform to push on from (ironically, what Bruce did with us) but with an expectation and funds to do much more, no ambitious manager is going to risk **** that up and having it on their CV with all the pressure involved, much better to wait for the first sap to do it and then come in when it's a fun job.

It's like some people forgot that despite the takeover, they are still Newcastle.

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I think for some (and this part isn’t really an issue for me) it’s probably also the fact that from a media perspective he’s bigger than the club. We become “Steven Gerrard’s Aston Villa” like Derby were “Frank Lampard’s Derby”… every match report or commentary or whatever becomes about the manager proving himself for a bigger job. Which is just tiring in the same way as every comment on every game for the last few years was “but will Grealish stay in the summer?” 

As you say he clearly knows how to manage. I don’t think SPL adds any more credibility than if we appointed someone from League 1 though and that’s the other side of what I think you’re hearing from people. But then on the other hand we did that with John Gregory and it was fine! _Starts studying League One table_

Most sensible post in hours, this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

If Smith was overachieving with a growing rep and a top dog came calling, he'd have been off.

I wonder if we as Villa fans perhaps dont see how others view us. Dean Smith might be looked at more like Chris Wilder than a Klopp 2.0

anyway i was agreeing with you. Nobody PL team ever did come calling for him even as we were flying high.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That seems terribly unfair. He is an actual football manager who appears to be doing a very good job at present. You might not like it, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be appointing him without knowing why they’re doing it. 

In a third rate league. 
I don’t dislike him, or think that potentially he could be a good manager, but there is no way you could convince me that his track record proves or even hints that he’s up to a Premier League job, because it objectively does not. The PL is the most competitive league in the world, with the best managers. The Scottish League, sad to say is not.

If that is the case, then the appointment has to be a gamble. They may feel it’s a gamble worth taking, but it is a gamble. 

For my part, I don’t think we should be gambling right now. There is too much to lose.

Plus, honestly, i’d like to think that we were at least getting rid of DS because we had seen an opportunity to move forward, not just to take a gamble on the possibility that SG might work out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Which big name manager do you want to come and manage 16th place Villa then?

I think people are being harsh on the club when they keep saying things like this.

We are like a huge business with billionaire owners and big ambition. It's what managers look for. 

There's no proof Newcastle will or can spend and attract decent players, much more of a risk than us.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Why would Gerrard turn down the endless riches of Newcastle then choose us a couple of weeks later ?

Because Newcastle aren't like playing Championship Manager on cheat mode just yet.   They've got a poor squad, and they won't be able to attract Champions League players who can get £200k a week for not being in a relegation battle.   If things go to plan for Newcastle then the guy who follows Eddie Howe (presuming he actually takes the job) is the one who gets to have the fun.   That's two years away minimum, and that's why Gerrard wouldn't be interested in the job right now.  He's trying to build a reputation and that probably doesn't involve becoming the next Mark Hughes.  

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Or Steven Gerrard’s resume managing *checks notes* Glasgow Rangers. 

I’m not saying he’s the right guy, I’ve no idea, but I’m finding the reaction to his name puzzling. This isn’t Tim Sherwood, he’s a serious human being. 

I guess a lot of it is based upon him from his playing days rather than based on the realities now as an up and coming manager. I don't have a strong opinion on Gerrard and if he is appointed it was because they believe he was the best candidate and I’ll trust that. 

All candidates will be carefully considered and due diligence undertaken. 

The suggestion of Gerrard didn't exactly inspire me when it was first mooted; the Scottish league is not great and he's only got competition from one other side.

But, even then, to go a whole season unbeaten and only conceding 13 goals is still a fine achievement.

He also got to last 16 of Europa League, with a group of players that people would laugh at if any were suggested as potential signings for Villa.

This is his 4th season of management now so he's not a complete rookie.

It's not really an upgrade on Smith on the face of it, but then i'm not sure it would necessarily be a downgrade; as much as i've backed Smith, i couldn't see him doing as well in Europe even with our (better) squad for example.

There's more potential of Gerrard having a higher ceiling, but we'd basically be relying on that to actually bear fruit, so ultimately it would be a gamble.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I wonder if we as Villa fans perhaps dont see how others view us. Dean Smith might be looked at more like Chris Wilder than a Klopp 2.0

On most outlets I’ve seen today, most neutral fans have put us on top of the ‘most hated and hope they go down’ list, because of the sacking. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Because Newcastle is a really shit job right now, even with those riches. Sure you have a load to spend in Jan, but that's the only positive, you also have -

- A shit squad

- A relegation fight

- Shit facilities

- a fanbase expecting them to become the next Man City/PSG

- A new board expecting them to become the next Man City/PSG

- did I mention they have a really shit squad?

Whoever was the first to take that job was always going to be set up to fail, as they basically need someone to come in, steady the ship and build a platform to push on from (ironically, what Bruce did with us) but with an expectation and funds to do much more, no ambitious manager is going to risk **** that up and having it on their CV with all the pressure involved, much better to wait for the first sap to do it and then come in when it's a fun job.

It's like some people forgot that despite the takeover, they are still Newcastle.

And of course when it comes round to giving the manager the chop......gulp....