The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

19 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Managed two clubs in the PL, got club record points haul with Spurs just missing out on CL spot, 2nd place in Ligue 1 with Marseille, managed in five countries, won the league in two (admittedly not top leagues), got european coach of the year one year.

He’s got more of a track record than Gerrard for sure.

He does, but ask Chelsea or Spurs fans how they feel about him. If we thought Dean Smith was carried by Jack Grealish, Gareth Bale put AVB on his shoulders.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Who said it on MOTD, as I didn’t see it?

Can’t have been Linekar, cos he has come out and slammed the decision on twitter.

Said on MOTD 2 tonight...at the end.

Thats hardly and endorsement, Lineker.....He doesn't want to see us succeed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TRO said:

Said on MOTD 2 tonight...at the end.

Thats hardly and endorsement, Lineker.....He doesn't want to see us succeed.

I take it as bantz, I remember the old Leicester Villa rivalry during the 90’s when we nicked Brian Little and Julian Joachim from them.

• Like 1

Have to say I don't even mind Lineker but he and all the armchair experts that don't pay any mind to Villa for the vast majority of the year have wound me up today by acting as though Smith has been sacked purely due to the 5 losses and the club is now representative of how short-sighted and soulless modern football is. And I say that as someone that has been gutted all day about him leaving.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think I like the leap of logic of "if Gerrard sees us as a stepping stone, then that means he must have done exceptionally well with us". Yes that's true, but it says nothing of his likelihood of actually achieving this and shouldn't be used as an argument in favour of him.

I completely agree, and am not meaning to suggest otherwise. It's just irrelevant, it's not a reason to hire him or not hire him.

10 minutes ago, Indigo said:

If you could tell me before we appointed a manager that he'd do a good enough job for Liverpool to eventually steal him away then I'd say you'd be mad not to go for it.

It reminds me a bit of when we were linked to Solksjaer just before we got in Lambert. Of course he went and relegated Cardiff and still got Man. United job a few years later!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think I like the leap of logic of "if Gerrard sees us as a stepping stone, then that means he must have done exceptionally well with us". Yes that's true, but it says nothing of his likelihood of actually achieving this and shouldn't be used as an argument in favour of him.

Agreed, might not have come across in my post but that was essentially what I was suggesting as it's a totally hypothetical scenario and shouldn't be a reason for or against him really.

Saying that if Gerrard goes to Liverpool after being uor manager then it would mean he will have to have done very well with us, isn't a 'leap of logic'.

If anything to suggest otherwise is illogical, of course he would have to very well with us to get the Liverpool job, he isn't going to get it if he was to do an average job, or even what might be considered a very good job relative to what we're normally used to, he'd have to do extremely well for Liverpool to consider him.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also it's not an argument for Gerrard, it's an argument against those who submit that he'd be off to Liverpool at the first opportunity as a reason to not want him, I don't particularly want him, but if he was to come and eventually get the opportunity to manage Liverpool then it would be because he would have done extremely well for us, so that scenario isn't something that worries me, in fact it's pretty much a positive.

• Like 3

Still don’t understand how we are going to be ambitious with our managerial targets, but Gerrard is the one that we’ll go for.

Being ambitious is not really appointing someone who has only managed one club, in a league that isn’t that great.

As a player he was class, but it’s not exactly ambitious to go for a manager that would probably say yes at the earliest opportunity.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Who said it on MOTD, as I didn’t see it?

Can’t have been Linekar, cos he has come out and slammed the decision on twitter.

Maybe Lineker agreed with the Smith sacking as about 90% of what he says IRL is said in a sarcastic tone.

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The other issue is I just can’t be ****ed with the media acting like every week is another Liverpool audition. Was bad enough when they obsessed over JT v Lampard, imagine the actual manager being a “Liverpool legend” and all the absolute crap that comes with that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

spot on.

when a player like Jack, who has been so invested in our club, gets lured, what the hell are we worried about.....as you say, they all will until, we get believeable.

Unless you're Real Madrid or Barca, that doesn't really end. Hence United losing CR at his peak, and Liverpool losing Suarez.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The other issue is I just can’t be ****ed with the media acting like every week is another Liverpool audition. Was bad enough when they obsessed over JT v Lampard, imagine the actual manager being a “Liverpool legend” and all the absolute crap that comes with that.

Media would be obsessed with us for all the wrong reasons. If he was an exceptional manager it could be ignored, but all that drama for some guy who will probably finish midtable. Nah, not for me.

• Like 1