The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If it will be Gerrard and he does well he will only be using us as a stop gap.

For where we are at the moment there is no problem with that.  It is a bit like the fact that most of the players we should be signing are those that have the potential to be playing for the elite clubs and need somewhere to prove that they are good enough for the next big transfer.  It is going to be a while before the top players see Villa as the ultimate place to end up.  I would far rather be a stepping stone to the top clubs than a final pay check for non-elite players on their way down.

• Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

and the other 212 games? 

Its a gamble but pulling a bad game out isn’t really justification for not bringing someone in.

Well those games are in the Premiership so...

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I don't really have an issue with the idea that a successful manager, whoever they are, might become a target for others to pinch.

My issue with Gerrard is... Well, the SPL is a 2 horse race and Celtic's wheels have fallen off. That CV doesn't fill me with confidence and this appointment has to be one that gives us the best chance of improvement and getting to that next level. That's not Gerrard. He might do it, he might be the greatest manager ever in it making, but you'd be taking a punt, a big punt. Any appointment is a gamble but he would be an enormous one. One we shouldn't make.

The other stuff, the Liverpool fawning stuff, would also count against him. but would be secondary to the gamble he represents.

Even if Gerrard rocks up somewhere else and is a rollicking success, we still shouldn't have appointed him in the current position we find ourselves.

To be fair Scotland was a one-horse race for a decade and he changed it, going unbeaten from what I remember.  Not that I really want him as my first choice.

• Like 2

no one minds the fact that the likes of martinez and watkins are just here as a stepping stone before a bigger club comes in. why is does that only become an issue when it's a manager we're recruiting?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I guess one thing is, he would be respected, doesn't appear to take any shite, and being the player he was, wouldn't accept anything less than 100 percent.

You make a good point i agree

However I Want Spaniard Diego Martinez Ex Granada Manager To Take Control, He Fits the bill everything needed in modern football and brings a unmatched philosophy , he would certainly do well have a look at his profile and mentality, he is my top pick out of the bunch

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, allani said:

Almost every manager has been sacked at some point in their career.

Yeah I know. But let's get somebody on the up though, rather than somebody off the Merry-go-round.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Lange should probably leave too.

The signings haven't worked and he takes a big part of the blame in the position we find ourselves in.

Let's wait and see whether the new signings work under the new manager first.  On paper signing one of the most exciting players in Germany (outside their top teams), the second top scorer in the Premier League over the last 2 seasons and the second most creative player in England (goals / assists / key passes) outside the top 6 are not bad signings.  There are plenty of player that "failed" at Villa in recent seasons that have gone on to much bigger and better things including playing in the Champions League, winning silverware, etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Yeah I know. But let's get somebody on the up though, rather than somebody off the Merry-go-round.

Someone like Lambert when we got him?

Remi Garde? Di Matteo? Tim Sherwood?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I don't really have an issue with the idea that a successful manager, whoever they are, might become a target for others to pinch.

My issue with Gerrard is... Well, the SPL is a 2 horse race and Celtic's wheels have fallen off. That CV doesn't fill me with confidence and this appointment has to be one that gives us the best chance of improvement and getting to that next level. That's not Gerrard. He might do it, he might be the greatest manager ever in it making, but you'd be taking a punt, a big punt. Any appointment is a gamble but he would be an enormous one. One we shouldn't make.

The other stuff, the Liverpool fawning stuff, would also count against him. but would be secondary to the gamble he represents.

Even if Gerrard rocks up somewhere else and is a rollicking success, we still shouldn't have appointed him in the current position we find ourselves.

Didn’t Gerrard get them to the round of 16 in the Europa League?

Edited by Aston_Villan4

1 minute ago, allani said:

Let's wait and see whether the new signings work under the new manager first.  On paper signing one of the most exciting players in Germany (outside their top teams), the second top scorer in the Premier League over the last 2 seasons and the second most creative player in England (goals / assists / key passes) outside the top 6 are not bad signings.  There are plenty of player that "failed" at Villa in recent seasons that have gone on to much bigger and better things including playing in the Champions League, winning silverware, etc. 

It's great to have a bunch of talented attacking players but you need to earn the right in order to play, and that starts in midfield.

Who is gonna win the ball, battle to give all these attacking players the platform to do what they do best?

The engine room is what it is, and it has not been addressed. The balance is way off.