The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's great to have a bunch of talented attacking players but you need to earn the right in order to play, and that starts in midfield.

Who is gonna win the ball, battle to give all these attacking players the platform to do what they do best?

The engine room is what it is, and it has not been addressed. The balance is way off.

I agree.  I have repeatedly said (probably from the middle of last season) that we desperately needed a player who can dominate the midfield and allow Doug and McGinn / Sanson to play their natural positions / roles rather than being shoe-horned into a no 6 role that doesn't suit them.  But Smith repeatedly said that he was happy with our midfield - so if the manager is saying that the recruitment priority is elsewhere (and you'd hope that the manager was playing a big role in deciding what type of players he needs to be scouted / signed) then you can't blame Lange if he spends time concentrating on those positions.  I think Bailey was an awesome signing so I think if our recruitment team had been told that a strong centre midfielder was the top priority they would have found and got someone.  My feeling is that Smith wanted a creative player to play down the right so that we were not reliant on Jack and had more options going forward (hence the early signing of Buendia).  For me both of those positions should have had equal importance.  But of course all of this is speculation.  If Lange's remit is to prioritise signings then I agree with you.  He's messed up.

12 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Really don’t think it will be.

Based on the latest rumours I’ve been hoping you’d post the same about Gerrard

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I really wouldn’t mind Gerrard. I think players would look up to him and be quite inspired. 

Do wonders for the likes of the Ramseys Carney and Iroegbunam as well. We would quickly find out how good they are 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m fetching my banning trousers!

trousers? I have a special shirt

Hammer-Press-Play-Back.jpg.

As for the next manager, I have no idea who they'll get. Something feels wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I really wouldn’t mind Gerrard. I think players would look up to him and be quite inspired. 

For a couple of weeks. When the arse goes out of that though, what are you left with. Will his sessions, tactics, man management hit home long term.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

If it's just a case of looking up to someone then appoint Zinedine Zidane. It would be a massive, reckless gamble to appoint Gerrard. Essentially, we need a Tuchel / Conte type. If no such manager is available, then we should have backed Smith with better coaches.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I have no idea why Remi Garde is the one some people go to when talking about former managers. Sherwood was easily the worst in the last 20 odd years. 

Oh no, I don’t mean he was the worst per se, just that it was an awful time to be a Villa fan.

Just now, AvonVillain said:

If it's just a case of looking up to someone then appoint Zinedine Zidane. It would be a massive, reckless gamble to appoint Gerrard. Essentially, we need a Tuchel / Conte type. If no such manager is available, then we should have backed Smith with better coaches.

Because Zidane would love the Villa job?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Right, he’s manager of Denmark’s national team and has a phenomenal record of success with them. 

If that’s your definition of a “nobody” I’m suspecting a touch of xenophobia is creeping in. 🙂

Xenophobia! I am the one saying no more British managers please! Give your head a wobble!