The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, useless said:

Spurs were eighth when they sacked Nuno, not many points off top four, of course he didn't fail there, they were just ruthless in firing him because they had the opportunity appoint Conte.

Yep needed to get him before Manure. 

For Gerrard to be considered for the Liverpool job he'd have to do expectionally well with us, h'd probably have to get us into champions league, because Liverpool are too big and ambitious of a club to appoint someone just because they got a club like ours to eight or seventh or whatever. So i wouldn't worry about him going to Liverpool, as that would only happen if he did extremely well for us.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard will be a massive mistake.

Agreed. Every appointment is a gamble of course, but I just don’t see this one as one worth taking. 

Press = spunkfest sold as an audition for Liverpool.

Worst case = He fails, winning a 2 horse race isn’t enough of a CV for me

Best case = He does well then leaves for Liverpool in 2yrs.

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Hassenhuttl has experience of Leipzig and Southampton. His style of play fits with our squad. We play a counter pressing game and we have the players for his 4 2 2 2 system. McGinn and Luiz can try get back to their roles from last season as defensive midfielders, or we can even have Sanson and Luiz in there. His attacking midfield 2 play narrow so we could play Ramsey on left side and Buendia on right side, With Bailey Watkins and Ings for the forward positions.

Southampton haven't invested in their squad in an era when most of the League has been investing. So he's done a good job there, with that terrible run last season the only real blip.

Yep pretty much my thoughts on him.

Weren't Southampton bottom 3 in the league when he took over around this time in 18/19 season. Kept them up comfortably and they finished 11th with 52 points in 19/20 so pretty much what we did last year.

Last season was poor league finish but think they were about 3rd or 4th in January so bit like us, was always going to balance out in the end but poorer run than they should've been on.

Here's one for Nick. When we appointed DS in October 2018 he had zero promotions on his CV compared to however many Steve Bruce had. But his style obviously fitted the squad far more for what we needed at the time. So sometimes that shows it's more than just looking at what a manager has won or achieved. We certainly need a manager who's style can fit with what our squad can be good at when motivated and focused. That matters more to me than how big a name they are in the football world.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No but his signings hasn't worked.

The defensive midfield position still not been rectified.

This was obvious before the season started that it would cause issues, you’d like to think if Dean wanted a DM we’d have signed one. 

@Eastiehas got stuff right before and doesn’t post rubbish, so I’m genuinely concerned by his/her claim that Gerrard is going to get the gig. 

Gutted. 

3 minutes ago, useless said:

For Gerrard to be considered for the Liverpool job he'd have to do expectionally well with us, h'd probably have to get us into champions league, because Liverpool are too big and ambitious of a club to appoint someone just because they got a club like ours to eight or seventh or whatever. So i wouldn't worry about him going to Liverpool, as that would only happen if he did extremely well for us.

Their ownership appointed Rodgers when he'd finished mid table with Swansea.

Depends what happens really. I never thought Chelsea would appoint Frank Lampard but with transfer ban they got him in from championship club when he'd only been a manager for 12 months. 

That scenario far more unlikely than say Gerrard finishing top half with us twice and then getting approached by Liverpool.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Yeah this. He'd only get the Liverpool gig if he was doing really well with us so he'd want to make it work. And if he comes in and has a good enough 2 years to move on then we should be in a good place. Don't see that as much of a downside really.