The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

no but it helps if they're on side from the get go and the fans will give the manager more time during dodgy spells.

do you not remember mcleish? the atmosphere was evil from very early stage...extreme example, but goes to show you do need to think about the general feeling amongst the fanbase

Absolutely it does help, but it is a nice to have. The right man is more important imo. 

5 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I would be very happy with Gerrard. He has got a bit of the Ron Saunders about him. He can be morose and pretty monotone but he is a winner plain and simple. 

People saying he is no good need to consider that he is nailed on for the Liverpooljob at some point.  Is someobe who is nailed on for the job at Liverpool no good for us ? 

He’d only be nailed on for the Liverpool job if he did very well for us, or another PL team first. I would imagine he knows he needs to test himself at a higher level before having a chance of the Liverpool job no matter how much he wants it. 

I agree with people who say the Scottish Premiership is rubbish, I live up here! But at least he has done well at Rangers and didn’t just demand his first job in the PL. Rangers are a huge club with huge expectations so he won’t be a rabbit in the head lights. The guy is a proven winner, there are things to like about the idea. The downside is he’s unproven at this level and would run off to Liverpool given the chance. But if he is good enough and gets us up genuinely pushing top 6 and even winning a trophy over the next two or three years then replacing him from a position of strength would be a step up in itself. We’d be fishing in a bigger pond. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

If anyone is expecting us to get a manager that has a better pedigree than Smith has they'll be sorely surprised.

We're not getting a top manager. Pretty much any manager that we could attract we'll have some serious doubts surrounding them. Best not be too picky is my advice.

Mate the Smith era is over , don’t forget he came from high flying Brentford . Better pedigree than Smith ? 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

No disrespect, but Nuno has a better pedigree than Smith, so it won't be that hard. beginning to thing Terry did too!

Eh, not really. Nuno just got sacked by Spurs after not even a quarter of a season and prior to that had a disappointing season with Wolves. Their stock isn't much different to each other.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

no but it helps if they're on side from the get go and the fans will give the manager more time during dodgy spells.

do you not remember mcleish? the atmosphere was evil from very early stage...extreme example, but goes to show you do need to think about the general feeling amongst the fanbase

A string of wins from the new manager will turn the atmosphere around quickly. Appeasing the fan base should be low on the list on factors when considering the appointment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So basically another Dean Smith and has bad long runs of form as well which is why some fans wanted Smith gone, may as well stuck with Smith then.

Most managers have bad runs. Let's say Roma sack Mourinho tonight (they lost 3-2 at Venezia today) and we appoint him. He won about 4 games in 15 at Spurs at one point last season as they dropped down from 1st to 8th.

Klopp had those six straight home defeats at some point last season and Brendan Rodgers ended 14/15 with 5 defeats in 7 (including that FA cup semi to us). Those are two of best premier league managers currently.

What we want to avoid from next manager is having a great win v someone like Man. United....and then losing our next five playing terribly. That's the extreme form we need to avoid if we want to finish top half in near future.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Absolutely it does help, but it is a nice to have. The right man is more important imo. 

well based on this thread it's fair to say that the board aren't going to appease a large % of the fanbase whomever they pick!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

The more I think about it, it really should be Hassenhuttle over Gerrard 

If those are the two actual choices then Hassenhuttl is the clear choice imo 

• Like 4

I think a lot of manager's heads would turn at the amount of resources we have here, especially given our net spend over the last 3 summers..... You'd be surprised how much that is factored into a manager's decision!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

same....if there was a standout, obvious candidate i'd be ok with it. it's going to be either gerrard or potter IMO.

Yep agree, if there was a standout candidate I’d be more relaxed but I’m worried.

Nuno is nothing like Bruce whatsoever, Nuno has a gameplan and tactics, Bruce just sends his teams out and asks them to get stuck in, whilst hoping they can nick a goal from a set piece or hope someone can come up with a moment of brilliance. They couldn't be anymore different as managers. Also Wolves very comortable on the ball and passed it well when he was manager, something that can't be said for a typical Bruce team, or a Pullis team for that matter.

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Eh, not really. Nuno just got sacked by Spurs after not even a quarter of a season and prior to that had a disappointing season with Wolves. Their stock isn't much different to each other.

He got European football with Wolves, Smith can now only dream.

Not that I want Nuno here.

Edited by foreveryoung

Conte had this possé joining him at Spurs when he arrived (the wife might be a redundant mention :rolleyes:).

FDMaEk_XMA4j85_?format=jpg&name=large

Really hope whoever we bring in also has a setup already in place so we don't have to waste time and resources adding people as we go. Was both disruptive and a embarrassing look that our setup was half arsed and not thought through. Looked amateurish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

well based on this thread it's fair to say that the board aren't going to appease a large % of the fanbase whomever they pick!

There are quite a few names on here people appear to be happy with. The ones that stand out as a No are Muno, Lamps, Gerrard and JT. I don't see much objection to the others. We are never going to get 100% support for any manager, even if we got Pep or Klopp

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I just feel I’m going to be bitterly disappointed with the next managerial appointment.  I hope I’m wrong but just got a bad feeling!

That is going to the problem. Many fans won’t give the new manager a chance because they aren’t Dean Smith. Something I find absurd.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Nuno is nothing like Bruce whatsoever, Nuno has a gameplan and tactics, Bruce just sends his teams out and asks them to get stuck in, whilst hoping they can nick a goal from a set piece or hope someone can come up with a moment of brilliance. They couldn't be anymore different as managers. Also Wolves very comortable on the ball and passed it well when he was manager, something that can't be said for a typical Bruce team, or a Pullis team for that matter.

Yeah, Nuno has that over Bruce. The comment was more tongue in cheek in that they both play horribly negative defensive football. I want an attacking manager and not a dull boring football manager

1 minute ago, useless said:

Reminds me of when people used to try and compare Bruce to Mourinho, just because two managers happen to be defensivley minded doesn't mean that they're the same. In the same way that you can have two attack minded managers but that doesn't have to mean they're similar, Sherwood is nothing like Guardiola as a manager, to make an extreme example.