The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Most managers have bad runs. Let's say Roma sack Mourinho tonight (they lost 3-2 at Venezia today) and we appoint him. He won about 4 games in 15 at Spurs at one point last season as they dropped down from 1st to 8th.

Klopp had those six straight home defeats at some point last season and Brendan Rodgers ended 14/15 with 5 defeats in 7 (including that FA cup semi to us). Those are two of best premier league managers currently.

What we want to avoid from next manager is having a great win v someone like Man. United....and then losing our next five playing terribly. That's the extreme form we need to avoid if we want to finish top half in near future.

Most managers have bad runs yet we just sacked ours for just that after three seasons of massive progression.  Your argument doesn’t fly, Hassenhuttl record is no better than Smiths, it would be a poor hire.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Conte had this possé joining him at Spurs when he arrived (the wife might be a redundant mention :rolleyes:).

FDMaEk_XMA4j85_?format=jpg&name=large

Really hope whoever we bring in also has a setup already in place so we don't have to waste time and resources adding people as we go. Was both disruptive and a embarrassing look that our setup was half arsed and not thought through. Looked amateurish.

They have a Rehab coach. Arsenal could have done with one of those in the 90s

• Haha 1

To expand on my previous post, let's look at some of the managers that are doing great jobs right now outside the big 6. Moyes, Potter and Rodgers. All 3 had serious question marks when they came in for their clubs for one reason or another.

That's the level of quality we have to and probably are forced be looking at and we can absolutely succeed with these kind of hirings. So don't be too negative if we pick up a manager at that kind of level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Most managers have bad runs yet we just sacked ours for just that after three seasons of massive progression.  Your argument doesn’t fly, Hassenhuttl record is no better than Smiths, it would be a poor hire.

u don't know that is why we sacked him. Yes it was no doubt the catalyst but the last year has been awful. You can't continue to ignore this

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jim said:

That is going to the problem. Many fans won’t give the new manager a chance because they aren’t Dean Smith. Something I find absurd.

From my perspective, it's not about Smith, per se. When we brought him in, we were at the wrong end of the Championship, we're now lower mid-table  in the PL. By sacking him, the board are saying this is not a good enough position, so fans are going to expect an appointment that reflects that ambition.

Whoever they hire needs to have experience and potential that demonstrates they're a good pair of hands to get up comfortably upper-mid table, or what was the point?

I'll give any reasonable appointment a chance, but if it's JT, I'm going to be raging.

• Like 4

Hassenhuttl or Potter for me, not had spectacular careers so far, however both have a clear identity to their style of football and done quietly decent jobs so far. 

Both are far from faultless, but I believe both would improve this team and are good coaches who have potential to do more with better resources.

Gerrard, Lampard et al are all too risky and have yet to show any real identity to their teams style of play.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

I'd have rather stuck with Smith if our options are John Terry or Steven Gerrard. If the owners appoint either one of those then serious questions need to be asked of them. 

Apparently Purslow is keen on Gerrard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cliffy Biro said:

This is a dangerous time for the club now. Get this wrong and it could be another downhill spiral for us and tbh i dont really trust Purslow and Lange to get it right.

Purslow got it right when he employed Dean. Why do u not trust him to get it right this time?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well based on this thread it's fair to say that the board aren't going to appease a large % of the fanbase whomever they pick!

Let's wait until they make an appointment before making that assumption.  There is nothing to suggest that we are even looking at any of the names that have been put forward on this thread.  That might be good / might not be good.  But until we get a name it is pointless to speculate.  After all if we appointed Klopp we would all be delirious.  And to be honest it is as likely that he is our target as it is that most of the names being discussed are.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Weird reading BBC and seeing other teams fans reactions to this, probably shows how little fans watch other teams.

I mean it's obvious dean has done a good job here and no villa fan would even argue with that(well maybe some...) But the PERFORMANCES since about Jan/Feb this year really haven't been good, and this year in particular we have put out a number of our worst displays on recent memory.

I'd imagine most villa fans would be sad to see him go but feel like this is probably a decision for the best for the club, the only difficult question is who is the right person to replace him

To be fair, we do the same thing when other clubs managers are sacked, and we like them.

3 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Hassenhuttl or Potter for me, not had spectacular careers so far, however both have a clear identity to their style of football and done quietly decent jobs so far. 

Both are far from faultless, but I believe both would improve this team and are good coaches who have potential to do more with better resources.

Gerrard, Lampard et al are all too risky and have yet to show any real identity to their teams style of play.

giphy.gif