The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Apparently Purslow is keen on Gerrard. 

I was thinking that, an appointment like that would have Purslow written all over it, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I have a feeling that Purslow prefer to go British, with most things.

I think this is quite restrictive, both with players and managers.

Even when it's the " safe " option.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Purslow got it right when he employed Dean. Why do u not trust him to get it right this time?

The stakes were much lower then and thats only 1 decision. The big decisions being made day to day around the club to me dont look that great. The players we've signed, the stupid video when Jack left, the disastrous coaching changes. I dont know what say he has had in all the things that have gone on and its possibly unfair but im just not confident atm.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Many fans won’t give the new manager a chance if it’s a poor choice.  The names being mentioned are poor.  Sacking Smith and bringing in a poor choice is pointless, I know you were sack Smith whatever but I don’t agree with that.  If they bring in a quality manager I will be fully on board but if they bring in a like for like or a poor manager I will be heavily disappointed  because I don’t see the point.

As usual, whatever, I will be down Villa Park giving full support to any new manager even if I’m not convinced at first.  If I could do it with McLeish, I can do it for anybody.  While we are waiting for a new manager to be announced I can give my judgment on each name that pops up and so far I’m not impressed.

You wouldn't be impressed, cause you were Smith through and through.

To say Nuno is no better than Smith when he got Wolves to Europe and only failed with them cause they lost Jiminez and Jota, is severely biased.

I wouldn't have Nuno, but he is a better manager than Smith. Tottenham don't wanna play for anyone, so don't count.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Most managers have bad runs yet we just sacked ours for just that after three seasons of massive progression.  Your argument doesn’t fly, Hassenhuttl record is no better than Smiths, it would be a poor hire.

We had poor runs in each of Dean's previous seasons so not like we've just got rid of him after his first run. Hasenhuttl also finished 2nd in Bundesliga and managed in CL so that's something DS would probably be a long way from doing if he went and managed abroad in near future.

If we've got Ings and want JWP again next summer then I don't think it's the worst shout to get in a manager who's proven at getting good form out of them and knows how to slot them into an 11.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think it could be someone the media might not even have a sniff of. Most the signings we brought in in recent seasons , they never got wind of. Even Smith was appointed at 10pm on a Tuesday night i think despite the media saying he wasn’t in the frame. Gerrard and Lampard will be linked to most vacancies .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cliffy Biro said:

The stakes were much lower then and thats only 1 decision. The big decisions being made day to day around the club to me dont look that great. The players we've signed, the stupid video when Jack left, the disastrous coaching changes. I dont know what say he has had in all the things that have gone on and its possibly unfair but im just not confident atm.

We were in breach of FFP and about to end our parachute payments. Getting straight back to the PL potentially saved us years of messing about in the Championship. I would suggest the stakes were much higher. If we get relegated this season it would be a big knock for us but we would be massive favourites for an immediate return

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Conte had this possé joining him at Spurs when he arrived (the wife might be a redundant mention :rolleyes:).

FDMaEk_XMA4j85_?format=jpg&name=large

Really hope whoever we bring in also has a setup already in place so we don't have to waste time and resources adding people as we go. Was both disruptive and a embarrassing look that our setup was half arsed and not thought through. Looked amateurish.

Am I the only one who chuckled at the “Elizabetta Conte . . . Wife” 😂😂😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Much lower!? We were languishing in The Championship! The stakes were far, far higher then than they are now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Most important decision Villa have made in the past two decades. Please get it right.

The most important decision they made was appointing Smith. 

They got that one right 

25 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Failed twice? what he did at Wolves was hardly failure was it. They were a newly promoted club and then finished 7th twice and then a disappointing season last season finishing 13th. I just don't see how you can say 10 league games at Spurs leaving them 8th was anywhere near enough games to say he failed. 

OK then, he was sacked twice. Sacked to me is failing. I don't want him anyway.

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

just feels a bit kneejerk this. i thought our owners/purslow were better than that

Really, we’ve lost more PL games this calendar year than any other team. Steve Bruce’s Newcastle have lost less with a far worse squad imo. Smith is a decent bloke and wish him well but it’s not a knee jerk reaction imo.

• Like 2