January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

39 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

cheeky Van de Beek bid in Jan anyone?!

Why? Very expensive wages, likely high loan fee and yet very similar to what we have already and yet no better in quality.

• Like 3

We could arguably do with a back up GK, but it can wait til the summer.

Given how Luiz is performing we don't need the DM a lot of us (me included) were hoping for. 

We should keep our powder dry and resign Doug if we can.

We may not need much business next summer either, assuming no major outgoings, but it will depend a bit if we're in Europe. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I genuinely don't really know what we need at this point. 

IMHO no one

maybe on 1st jan if we're sat 6th right in the middle of everything, maybe have some injuries, then we try and get a ligard esque exciting signing to come in and push us over the line

if we're sat 10th in no mans land then we can try and generate a similar buzz using our own youngsters 

I think we'll go back in for Ward Prowse next summer.

Get the feeling Luiz won't sign a new deal and will fancy going back to play in another euro league so he'd be obvious replacement and Southampton could make it easier by getting relegated. I assume there will be some sort of get out clause in the deal he signed a few weeks back.

Wonder if we can make the Axel loan permanent in January? Can see us doing that if there is an option.

• Like 1

A lot could change between now and January, a couple of bad results and people will be declaring that this and that player isn't good enough, or some other player needs a loan. There's also the possibility of injuries, a couple of seasons back we lost Heaton, McGInn, and Wesley in a short space of time and had to replace them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think we'll go back in for Ward Prowse next summer.

Get the feeling Luiz won't sign a new deal and will fancy going back to play in another euro league so he'd be obvious replacement and Southampton could make it easier by getting relegated. I assume there will be some sort of get out clause in the deal he signed a few weeks back.

Wonder if we can make the Axel loan permanent in January? Can see us doing that if there is an option.

This is my gut feeling too. The Douglas Luiz to Roma rumours don't seem to be going away, and his contract is running down to one year left next summer will make him more afordable to Roma and other suitors. JWP has the same agent as as Grealish, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is a confidential buy out clause inserted, that we know about.

• Like 1

I don’t believe we’ll do any permanent deals in January. Only an injury crisis or surprise departures may change that.  However, next summer an improved back up keeper is a must and a potential young challenger to Targett would be good, ie Aaron Hickey or Lee Buchanan perhaps?

New deals for Luiz and Hause or replace if they decide to move on. Axel coming in permanently would also be good.

• Like 1

Backup keeper is one of those positions you think you can get away with not having - until you need them.
I have no doubt Steer would do a good job if needed for the odd game. If we lost Martinez for months, we'd definitely know about it. It would cost us points. Possibly several league positions.
Also, who is backup to Steer? Children.

It needs sorting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, useless said:

A lot could change between now and January, a couple of bad results and people will be declaring that this and that player isn't good enough, or some other player needs a loan. There's also the possibility of injuries, a couple of seasons back we lost Heaton, McGInn, and Wesley in a short space of time and had to replace them.

This is 100% true but its nice even for a couple of weeks to think we could go a window without having to be glued to this place. 

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

Why? Very expensive wages, likely high loan fee and yet very similar to what we have already and yet no better in quality.

He must’ve been good before Man U bought him? I honestly hadn’t really heard of him I don’t think

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

He must’ve been good before Man U bought him? I honestly hadn’t really heard of him I don’t think

Yeah he is but our midfielders are as good.  I really like him and think the move to Man U was a poor rushed decision for both parties at the time.  I just think he’s in the same ball park as our midfielders in terms of quality.  I think we have to realise our midfielders are top 8 midfielders individually so it takes real quality to be better than them especially given the financial package it would take to bring in him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I don't think there is any option to buy included in the loan deal Chris, however I do agree with you that we should speak to them in January about making a permanent deal once the loan ends if they are willing to listen to offers.

51 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't think there is any option to buy included in the loan deal Chris, however I do agree with you that we should speak to them in January about making a permanent deal once the loan ends if they are willing to listen to offers.

Well he ain't playing for Man. United anytime soon after they signed Varane so guess we'll come to some sort of 20m odd agreement next summer then.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Well he ain't playing for Man. United anytime soon after they signed Varane so guess we'll come to some sort of 20m odd agreement next summer then.

i dunno, Chelsea got 28m for Tomori who was also English and basically a fringe player at Chelsea, and i imagine Manure are in the same vein of getting every penny they possibly can for a fringe player (just like Liverpool have a history of mugging off other teams for their fringe players)

I wouldnt be against us signing him, but maybe not for the price i reckon they might be asking, such as 25-30m.

You just need to look at Lingard, im sure he would have been allowed to leave this summer, but were prob asking 30m+ from Spam who refused to pay it.

We will see though, who knows.

12 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Backup keeper is one of those positions you think you can get away with not having - until you need them.
I have no doubt Steer would do a good job if needed for the odd game. If we lost Martinez for months, we'd definitely know about it. It would cost us points. Possibly several league positions.
Also, who is backup to Steer? Children.

It needs sorting.

I think any backup keeper to Martinez would cost us points though as Martinez is top 10 in the world quality for me and anyone we could get as backup would be a massive downgrade.