January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Is Jed Steer really that bad a backup?

When we will hopefully have regular European football that's an additional load of games and we need a quality No2 who can also fill in if we lost Martinez due to injury. We need the gap between Elite level (Martinez) and back up level to be as small as possible. Heaton for example is the level we should aim for in back up.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I disagree and a lot of the national talk shows and press have been raving lately about him this season.  I’ve been travelling a lot in my car lately and listening to the shows and they have been given glowing reports about him.  So even neutrals have been really impressed by him and generally we get no real recognition from them.

I honestly don't care what neutrals say/think because they don't watch him every game and don't know as well - the same how I'd trust the opinion of a dedicated supporter over my own when it comes to players from other teams. McGinn frequently has highlight moments in games, so it's quite easy to watch him and be impressed. He was very good in the last couple of games, but prior to that I felt that he hadn't been up to snuff and that is reflected in the data from his performances. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

https://fbref.com/en/players/90f91999/John-McGinn#scout_summary_MF

He's been a lot better the last couple of games but his overall performances this season haven't been particularly great. It looks like he's heading in the right direction, though. 

This stats you linking are for last 365 days, not this season.

5 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

This stats you linking are for last 365 days, not this season.

Apologies - if you go into the match reports and look, it reflects what I'm saying, though.

Take attempted pressures, for example, which is a good reflection of work rate for a CM:

- Watford - 10
- Newcastle - 6
- Everton - 8 
- Chelsea - 32
- Man United - 20

A massive difference the last couple of games. 

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Apologies - if you go into the match reports and look, it reflects what I'm saying, though.

Take attempted pressures, for example, which is a good reflection of work rate for a CM:

- Watford - 10
- Newcastle - 6
- Everton - 8 
- Chelsea - 32
- Man United - 20

A massive difference the last couple of games. 

Ok, it's clearly down to the quality of opposition and the amount of ball they have.

Everton game was after Chelsea game BTW.

I think comparing his pressures with JJ and our other players in those matches would be a good assessment of how hard he works/runs

8 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Ok, it's clearly down to the quality of opposition and the amount of ball they have.

Everton game was after Chelsea game BTW.

I think comparing his pressures with JJ and our other players in those matches would be a good assessment of how hard he works/runs

- Watford - 9 (one more but McGinn played 45 minutes more)
- Newcastle -17 (9 fewer, both played 90)
- Everton - 15 (7 fewer but McGinn played 51 minutes less) 
- Chelsea - 21 (11 more but McGinn played 35 minutes more)
- Man United - 21 (one fewer and McGinn played 5 minutes more)

The conclusion is still the same. 

Edited by lexicon

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I disagree and a lot of the national talk shows and press have been raving lately about him this season.  I’ve been travelling a lot in my car lately and listening to the shows and they have been given glowing reports about him.  So even neutrals have been really impressed by him and generally we get no real recognition from them.

It's because he's flashy. His pressing isn't team pressing. It's solo, highlight pressing, like when maguire should have been sent off. It is high reward high risk. The risk is he gets tired and easily bypassed for the next 5 minutes or just they play around him and they have an advantage vs our defence. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I honestly don't care what neutrals say/think because they don't watch him every game and don't know as well - the same how I'd trust the opinion of a dedicated supporter over my own when it comes to players from other teams. McGinn frequently has highlight moments in games, so it's quite easy to watch him and be impressed. He was very good in the last couple of games, but prior to that I felt that he hadn't been up to snuff and that is reflected in the data from his performances. 

I watch him every game as well but come to a different view.  I only see the down playing of him from any source on this forum from a few.  Every player has dips and highs in form but I just don’t see the hasn’t been up to snuff part.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I watch him every game as well but come to a different view.  I only see the down playing of him from any source on this forum from a few.  Every player has dips and highs in form but I just don’t see the hasn’t been up to snuff part.

He's been a lot better this season, which is what I've said. But the fact he'd been so inconsistent and poor for the previous 18 months, is a concern. He doesn't defend well enough for my taste, and offensively he is too often looking to play a high light pass rather than keeping it simple and maintaining possession. 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It's easy to under and overrate players tbf Nick - we're all humans and can be guilty of confirmation bias, in that we see what we want to see to a degree and gloss over the bits that don't fit what we think of a player. It's natural and works both ways. In any case, I'm trying to give him credit as and when I think he deserves it, and I have been very complimentary of his last couple of performances and I really hope they continue. At the end of the day, though, it's important to recognise the importance of data too - how many times have we seen someone post about a player 'giving the ball away time and again' when in reality it happened just once or twice in a game? The data is far from the be all and end all, sure, but it's come a long way in the last few years and it's important to analyse it to see where players are under and over performing. 

• Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

It's easy to under and overrate players tbf Nick - we're all humans and can be guilty of confirmation bias, in that we see what we want to see to a degree and gloss over the bits that don't fit what we think of a player. It's natural and works both ways. In any case, I'm trying to give him credit as and when I think he deserves it, and I have been very complimentary of his last couple of performances and I really hope they continue. At the end of the day, though, it's important to recognise the importance of data too - how many times have we seen someone post about a player 'giving the ball away time and again' when in reality it happened just once or twice in a game? The data is far from the be all and end all, sure, but it's come a long way in the last few years and it's important to analyse it to see where players are under and over performing. 

I enjoy reading your posts on him, it makes me look at him more and questions my views.  It’s great reading differing views backed up by data that supports their(your) views.

• Thanks 1

Just now, nick76 said:

I enjoy reading your posts on him, it makes me look at him more and questions my views.  It’s great reading differing views backed up by data that supports their(your) views.

Cheers Nick 👍 - I find the analysis of it all really interesting tbf. I was very sceptical of xg and all that sort of stuff up until the past few months or so, then I started really looking into it and tried to see how it translated to what I think I see in games. Sometimes it matches up, sometimes it doesn't - if it doesn't, I really try to work out why and will watch the player more closely the next game etc. There is a very good chance that I just have too much time on my hands 😅

• Like 1

On 28/09/2021 at 12:27, Czarnikjak said:

As you said we don't need to buy anybody, unless major injuries happen. But we don't have "load of cash", there's been no cash injected by the owners this season and we had to take a loan from Barclays last month to cover our operating expenses. We are not cash rich.

Don't think we needed a loan, the Owners could of easily supported operating costs given the fact we aren't in any debts.

Our Owners have so much money its unreal, the only thing that challenges is us is FFP as it makes it harder to compete.

Selling Grealish is really beginning to be the perfect solution to a season we really have not had to buy anyone out of the Owners pockets,the first season Villa itself has been without the need of financial backing from its Owners. We probably won't be able to be that efficient again for some time, though you do look at the way were playing and it's easy to suggest that many of our players could be quick targets for other clubs. Watching those players of ours on the pitch is fantastic as you know if clubs come sniffing it's those above us who are more successful and they will offer more.

That's part of the project though isn't it?? creating a club where its players play with belief and they then in turn go and play regular beautiful football that's wanted by more successful clubs. Its when it's time to sell, we can quickly trade and not rely on the Owners and we did this for the first time in how long by selling Grealish and bringing in three players where two could be sold for profit down the line.

Edited by Dave-R

50 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Don't think we needed a loan, the Owners could of easily supported operating costs given the fact we aren't in any debts.

Our Owners have so much money its unreal, the only thing that challenges is us is FFP as it makes it harder to compete.

We clearly needed more cash to operate. Otherwise why take the Barclays loan?

You are right to point out that our owners  could have injected the cash themselves, but for whatever reason decided not to (my guess is they want the club to be self sustainable from now on).

I was only responding to one poster who claimed that we were "loaded with cash" for January spending, when we are not.