January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can't see us spending big money in the next couple of years. CDM probably the only position we would pay 30-40m for the right player next summer.

We'll have a reduced wage bill if we can move on some players and we can bank fees for a few players too. New contracts for Martinez, Luiz and Hause will increase the wage bill somewhat though.

I don't disagree with all this.

I suppose my point was not clear ... I am enjoying Villa at the moment.  I don't want them to change (much).

Sam Johnston is available on a free next summer. Would he have the balls to come back and fight for a starting place against Emi. He could also play in the Europa games. The Baggies may be a bit pissed if we got him on a free. They thought they would get 25m for him in the last window.

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Sam Johnston is available on a free next summer. Would he have the balls to come back and fight for a starting place against Emi. He could also play in the Europa games. The Baggies may be a bit pissed if we got him on a free. They thought they would get 25m for him in the last window.

Anyone coming here to try and compete with Emi isn’t going to play much. 

• Like 3

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Anyone coming here to try and compete with Emi isn’t going to play much. 

I would suspect you are right but I think SJ would be an excellent backup and if he has the confidence to try and take Emi's place then all the better. A 5 year contract on 50k a week and we would have (barring serious injury) our GKs sorted for the next 5 years. It would also be good to keep EMi on his toes with some competition and we could give him a break occasionally

27 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would suspect you are right but I think SJ would be an excellent backup and if he has the confidence to try and take Emi's place then all the better. A 5 year contract on 50k a week and we would have (barring serious injury) our GKs sorted for the next 5 years. It would also be good to keep EMi on his toes with some competition and we could give him a break occasionally

Agreed but 50k a week for a back up keeper is an insane amount of money. I don’t think we’re there yet. Much more sensible to get a young keeper in who is competent and happy to learn from Emi on 5-10k a week. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed but 50k a week for a back up keeper is an insane amount of money. I don’t think we’re there yet. Much more sensible to get a young keeper in who is competent and happy to learn from Emi on 5-10k a week. 

I think we need a good backup GK more than any other position on the pitch. If Emi is out injured for 4 or 5 weeks that could cost us big time if we don't have a high quality replacement. 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think we need a good backup GK more than any other position on the pitch. If Emi is out injured for 4 or 5 weeks that could cost us big time if we don't have a high quality replacement. 

To add to that. Steer is apparently on 20k a week and he is not strong enough to be Emi's backup in the PL. 5k to 10k a week will not be good enough. I also think we can easily afford it, it would be about 12.5m over 5 years. We must have spent 25m+ on GKs in the 3 or 4 years before spending 17m on Emi and that doesn't even include wages. 

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

Personally I have an emotional dilemma.

Some part of me would like to see how the existing team might grow and blossom. There is always a Chemistry risk with bringing new players. 

To me it does not make much sense spending big money to compete with the big boys' model.  Villais on its way to becoming a super attractive club again. 

I understand we will have to keep an eye on those with short (or little time on their) contracts. 

I agree. I like our players. They all seem a decent bunch who love playing here and I'm proud of our youth team and would love to see them blossom at the club. That would give me more satisfaction than spending £50m on a player from France or Spain. 

I think we all need to appreciate the chance of cracking the top 4 is going to be very very tough. Even Spuds and Arse will struggle to get back there. I don't want us to bankrupt ourselves going for it and then fall back down. Much prefer a more sustainable way of producing the best youth players and introducing them.

I do agree we are still short in some areas though and if wing backs are the way forward for us, even for 50% of the time when we need a left footed Cash there. Targett is better in a four... maybe Rico Henry? 

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I have honestly never rated Johnston. He doesn’t command his area very well and was prone to the odd clanger. He would also want massive wages. I think we could get a cheaper alternative.

I think you need two serious back ups; an experienced keeper and a young up and coming one. By next season hopefully one of our youngsters will be able to fill one of those roles. We just need to get the experienced one too.

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I have honestly never rated Johnston. He doesn’t command his area very well and was prone to the odd clanger. He would also want massive wages. I think we could get a cheaper alternative.

I think you need two serious back ups; an experienced keeper and a young up and coming one. By next season hopefully one of our youngsters will be able to fill one of those roles. We just need to get the experienced one too.

I think SJ has improved a lot since his time with us though, I do agree he did have the odd clanger and yes I agree an experienced GK and a youth would be perfect. I think as SJ will be available on a free he could be a very good value back up as the experienced GK

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We have one already in our squad and his name is super john mcginn !!! I know he will never play there but my god in this system his aggressiveness great crossing ability and relentless running and strength would be a nightmare to deal with

Can we please stop with this SJM relentless running. Even though he's been better this year his pressing is fairly average for a CM and he doesn't track back well at all. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

He's on 28k a week atm. 50k for a backup keeper is bananas plus he's not that great and would probably want to play for club where he starts every week which could be WBA who strong contenders for automatic promotion 

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's on 28k a week atm. 50k for a backup keeper is bananas plus he's not that great and would probably want to play for club where he starts every week which could be WBA who strong contenders for automatic promotion 

If he is on 28k now then we may be able to pay less than 50k. But a decent wage may attract him to Villa as it would be his last big contract. We have spent far more than 12m/15m on GKs over 5 years and it has been a disaster. Sign SJ would give us a really strong GK setup

12 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He will have a year left on his contract next summer and he will be playing next to no football unless we get injuries. He won't sign any extension and then we keep him around with Trez and run down the last years of their contracts? That makes no financial sense. AEG is a saleable asset in a position we are well stocked in, he's the 5th best wide player at the club after Bailey, Buendia, Traore and JPB. 

He needs to move on with our thanks and he's fully capable of regular first team football in any of the top 5 leagues.  

Maybe 5th best in your opinion, but best right now, together with Bailey, in terms of output....

50k is too much but the truth is if you sign somebody on a free you boost their wages as a result. To upgrade on Steer we'd need to be paying £30-40k. If you sign a player worth that on a free it's not totally insane to say you make up the fee you've saved on signings bonuses, agent fees and wages and end up nearer £50k per week.

It wouldn't be my favourite option either but is not as batshit as it initially sounds

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha

https://fbref.com/en/players/90f91999/John-McGinn#scout_summary_MF

He's been a lot better the last couple of games but his overall performances this season haven't been particularly great. It looks like he's heading in the right direction, though. 

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

https://fbref.com/en/players/90f91999/John-McGinn#scout_summary_MF

He's been a lot better the last couple of games but his overall performances this season haven't been particularly great. It looks like he's heading in the right direction, though. 

I disagree and a lot of the national talk shows and press have been raving lately about him this season.  I’ve been travelling a lot in my car lately and listening to the shows and they have been given glowing reports about him.  So even neutrals have been really impressed by him and generally we get no real recognition from them.

Edited by nick76

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Heaton was on that last season lol