Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

Just now, thunderball said:

It was always a very long shot for me. So much to do this season, lots will yet happen this season, so many stories and dramas. It’s next season we are setting up for because Jack leaving is massive.

Yeah, that’s why Jack leaving pissed me off. Totally wrecked the prep for this season. 

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

who starts instead of Targett then?

Sorry what I wrote didn't make sense, Young in place of Targett at left back.

Young shouldn't be starting as an attacker though when we've got Bailey and Traore on the bench. Even Ramsey or JPB.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

You didn't even get the score right 🙄

Terrible first half, but Watford's second goal was very flukey.

We looked the better side when Bailey (especially) and Traore came on, and with Young dropping to LB.

I think Smith will find a formula, but it will take a few games.

I would really like that, but so far, Smith haven’t perform without Grealish. In the Championship it was 2-3 wins out of 15-17. Last season I think 3 wins out pf 14. 
The thing is our form in both season been unbelievable with Jack.

I’m not so sure that Smith would have the answer. I very much hope that he does though.

It’s not just the attack, but it’s the same defending when we played them before they went down and won 3-0.

Good to fight back, giving us some hope, Bailey seem good, Ings scoring, Traore. But other than that I don’t know where are the positives. Maybe now we’ll to get Kamada and the other Sarr?

Ramsey looks much stronger physically this season. Dean Smith is a 4 3 3 manager. 4 2 3 1 doesn't work when one of the 2 is McGinn. He's evidently better as an 8 although when properly fit Sanson and Luiz to play ahead of him. Bailey looks mint and Traore had everyone in knots. 

Ashley Young looked solid at LB but poor at LW as he didn't track back. Everyone looked off the pace especially Targett ,Cash and Buendia. Buendia looks like he needs the Grealish fitness and strength plan but the touch is there. Danny Ings' movement was good but we were slow with the ball.

However what was with the refereeing?? I'm all for letting games flow but there was about 6/7 blatant pushes from behind on our players which weren't given.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

Managers performance poor? Literally changed the game with his subs.

Took of targett made us more solid.

Subed in traore who got pen.

What the hell do you want from him seriously....

Get it right from the start maybe?

Martinez 5 should have done better but left exposed to often

Cash 4 terrible, worst I've seen him play. No passing poor positioning terrible control and just woeful today.

Konsa 6 did OK the majority of the time

Mings 5 must just accept, he is never going to be great in the air, even free headers he can't pass to a team mate.

Target 5 punished by Watford secret weapon, who knew sarr was strong and rapid ? Just about everyone. Left exposed time and time again.

Nakamba 5 just no good today, playing against Big strong players he is ineffective, just like most of today.

Mcginn 7, looked very poor until he was rightfully moved forwards in the second half

El ghazi 4 every man and his dog knows he is far less of a threat on the right, so we play him on the right ?

Emi 5, star right sided midfielder, plays middle of the park with zero protection from our team. Who would guess he would be out muscled by a larger more powerful midfield ?

Young 6 useless in the first half and better in the second when not expected to sprint past people 16 years younger.

Ings 6 little to no service, poor balls around the box, scored a penalty 

Subs

Ramsey 6 more urgency but tried to do too much too often losing the ball. At least he battled for it and had an impact.

Bailey 7 came on, did what he's here to do got an assist. He will start next game.

Traore 6 same issues, won't pass the ball and when he crosses it its without thought, wasting chances several times by delaying it or over hitting it. Created the penalty with good footwork.

Smith 3, really have no idea what he thought he was doing. El ghazi on right where he can't play, young and targett on left against sarr ? Don't think a kid playing footy manager would make that sort of mistake. Emi in the middle with powderpuff protection ? You want emi in the middle you spend the 90 million it will now cost and get JWP and bissouma otherwise, leave him where he plays, on the right.

There are no excuses for just how poor we played, we would have lost to most teams today playing that poor.

He better get the 2 midfielders we very clearly need or sort his tactics and formations better if we don't want a shitshow season.

• Like 4

Just now, ThunderPower_14 said:

Sorry what I wrote didn't make sense, Young in place of Targett at left back.

Young shouldn't be starting as an attacker though when we've got Bailey and Traore on the bench. Even Ramsey or JPB.

Might have to agree with you, until Matty gets back to last seasons levels.

What Ash doesn't have in physicality, he makes up for with experience.

• Like 2

This performance could be a blessing in disguise. Owners will want to protect their investment. Midfield is a glaring problem. Nakamba is not the answer. Not quick enough or strong enough to be the starter in that role. 

1 minute ago, TomC said:

I'm surprised that people thought Cash was so bad. His defending was bad, but I thought he did reasonably well with the ball coming forward.

Because defending is his main job? lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yes two of our best performers last year too. You'd think they can't both play that bad again...

I wouldn't like to think so, but form and confidence can make things very different. Hopefully with a bit more cover - from the wings and having a more robust midfield three - they'll be fine.

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

It was always a very long shot for me. So much to do this season, lots will yet happen this season, so many stories and dramas. It’s next season we are setting up for because Jack leaving is massive.

The big question to ask is....did Jack cover for so many of our players and in fact helped them look over valued.

Judging by today's game.... we may soon have some answers.

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

No manager wouldn't struggle with what he has lost this window......Disappointed he never strengthened the middle but maybe he has tried and failed but we should have had a back up to JWP. 

Not sure what's going on with the back room staff leaving its all a bit strange tbh there has to fire where there's smoke.

FWIW I think Smith is the manager to bring us through  the undoubted disruption we have suffered.  I just hope that the owners don't think they can bring in a quick fix if we start losing games, that would be a disastrous move.

Keep the faith, Smiths is the man to take us forward but we have to realise that we was a stronger team last season and this season is all about survival UTV 

The money spent on this squad to say this season is all about survival does not cut it at all - he will need a decent start or will be out the door long before Xmas - don’t be surprised to see stevie G in the hot seat pretty soon . `

Edited by Eastie
  • Confused 1

Again don’t get the overreactions, my best mate is a Watford fan and I said it was a great time to play us as we have some injuries and general lack of fitness although even I didn’t see Such poor performances from Cash and Targett coming. Buendia also gets a mention for being terrible but again doesn’t look fit. McGinn was good and Nakamba was fine once playing a a ball winner in front of the defence. Too far to come back from in the end but at least there was improvement and gives me hope for next week. Looking forward to my first trip to VP since the last time we played Watford.

• Like 1

Â