Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

Just now, TheMightyVillans said:

too many players not match fit.

I wonder if a manager like Tuchel would have taken off targett in the first half. Sarr won the game in the 1st half. 2nd half looked better. Ramsey made a difference and traore/bailey looked bright.

This is why we should be cashing in on el ghazi if we have the chance. 

Sarr looks so much better than two years ago. He'll be off to City/ United/ Chelsea for 100mm within a year...

Fitness fitness fitness. Looked like we had a shit preseason, and we did. Dropped in it during the last two weeks.

We always said it eould be a tough start because of it, and that we wouldn’t see the best of our team for at least a month. So it seems.

That said, we have been banging on about the midfield since before the end of last season, and we’ve been fannying about buying forward players. 

**** bite the bullet and buy a bastard midfielder.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Leeds got thrashed by Man Utd not Watford? And Arsenal should be panicking they looked awful. 

The Grealish saga was known about behind the scenes for months, Purslow made it clear we had been planning for it. For the past 5 seasons we've struggled with answers without Jack when he's been injured, and it should have been solved by now. 

I'm sorry but there were no positives from that utter garbage. Bailey looked decent I guess when he came on. 

So there was one positive then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sure we'll never start with that midfield again. That's one of the few positives (along with Bailey) that came out of that game.

It was a terrible performance but we'll be good once the attacking players click, especially when we can factor Watkins back into that. Buendía looked too lightweight at times but once he knows where the runners are, I think he'll make things happen. Today, he needed a little more time and got caught in possession too often as a result, considering he doesn't have the strength to hold it up when crowded out.

El Ghazi isn't good enough and if we can get a decent fee for him then I'll be glad to see him go. I'll always be thankful for his playoff goal and he seems a decent lad, but doesn't offer enough. Always looking to shoot.

Main problem was at full back - both were abysmal today. Hopefully they can come back from that but will also need better support from the wingers. They're good players. Young did a far better job than Targett today though. I'm hoping we keep Guilbert for extra challenge/cover.

We also need to be stronger in central midfield but this was better when we had Ramsey on. We need a solid three in the middle. Fingers crossed Sanson can get fit and find his way into the team, and that Dougie won't be too shattered from this summer.

• Like 3

Better second half, but only after we had killed ourselves in the first half. Seen plenty of stick for Young on here, but him replacing Targett was the reason we weren't embarrassed. He was my MOTM from a field of one. Bailey showed he has potential. We are very much a work in progress and at this precise moment in time, all the crowing from players about Europe looks utterly ridiculous. I like Ings, but Buendia was anonymous. Well played Watford, excellent performance.

• Like 1

1st Half was terrible but I think it showed a group of players who have had a disrupted pre-season. I thought we ended the game strongly and perhaps got a draw if we got the 2nd early enough. Lots of work to do, but the team needs more time before we write the season off.

Lol, is any one really surprised?

Looked better second half, it’s going to take until November to find our feet.

McGinn looked ok, Ramsey looked good, Bailey and Traore looked like they will offer something more this season. Buendia needs to find his feet and where his team mates are going to be.

Watkins will settle us down too. I think two ho e games will help, but don’t see more than 4 points from our “banker” 9, and TBH am not surprised at all. It’s a season of transition.

• Like 2

Just now, HKP90 said:

Fitness fitness fitness. Looked like we had a shit preseason, and we did. Dropped in it during the last two weeks.

We always said it eould be a tough start because of it, and that we wouldn’t see the best of our team for at least a month. So it seems.

That said, we have been banging on about the midfield since before the end of last season, and we’ve been fannying about buying forward players. 

**** bite the bullet and buy a bastard midfielder.

Ramsey looks good though, really liked him today. A lot more to come from him but you're right I think we need a top class 6 to go with all the options we have for an 8.

• Like 1

I don't understand the negativity towards the players today?  We have new players that need to gel and perform based on their transfer value.  This was the beginning of the season it was not 3-0 but 3-2 so that shows some character. 

it's not how we start at the beginning but how we finish tbh I'm excited for team over the season damn lighten up a bit.

• Like 2

Pretty rubbish overall. Watkins was a big miss and well the midfield is still an issue for us. 

Buendia just couldn't get going whatsoever. Norwich fans were adamant he wasn't a 10 and well judging by todays effort that idea to play him in that role might have to change. Ings had a stinker as well but at least he's already got his goal. 

Shit start but it's 1 game in, no need to absolutely freak out. 

Fitness across the whole team looked an issue today. I’d say the disruptive pre-season and lack of games really showed.

Targett was exposed but let’s not dress this up, because he was woeful and rightly replaced at the break. Cash, Konsa and Mings don’t escape criticism here either because none of them were good today.

Buendia was not 100% fit and put extra pressure on Nakamba and McGinn to do the work of three usually. Midfield was better with Ramsey helping but the midfield needs addressing quickly. 

Ings had nothing at all to work with. Lack of support and service. Better when Bailey and Traore came on.

We desperately need a calming influence in the midfield and dare I say it, Ward-Prowse is probably it. 

Â