Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

Well, that was underwhelming.

Loss due to tactic naievity and poor team selection from Dean.

Sure i've said this on more than a few occassions...

Watford are widely expected to be in and around the relegation places, and on that display, we are going to struggle.

Fingers crossed we get a couple more in before the window closes and they settle quickly, because we don't look up up it based on today.

So this one game doesn't mean Targett is shite. He is a solid player. But as I have always maintained he is limited by a lack of pace and agility. Sarr was the perfect guy to expose his limitations. Quick, direct, strong, with a quick change of direction. This will happen again against similar players.

Young wasn't a good enough left winger for a Man U in decline while in his prime. Hasn't played left wing for god knows how many years. He should not be starting for us at left wing.

Everyone on this site knows El-Ghazi is alway rubbish when played on the right wing. We had Bailey and Traore available,  both right wingers by trade, but played El-Ghazi there.

Nakamba and McGinn is not a quality double pivot pairing. Neither are reliable enough with their passing.

Buendia looks like a playmaking 8, rather than a 10. Which when you consider his back up Chukwuemeka is probably also the same is good. 

The intensity wasn't good enough particularly in the first half. Cash's crossing was poor, and he crossed from deep far too often. 

We need a top class 6. If I'm playing two 6's Luiz is the first pick currently. Meaning if we get a top class 6 McGinn gets benched. McGinn scored a good goal today, but for me he is the man for when we set up to counter. Unless we play 2 8's

Nakamba was out muscled by Kuco and Dennis. They jumped on him and bullied him. Kuco should have seen red BTW.

Konsa and Mings were overrun at times. Every time they countered our fullbacks (not so much Cash) and DM's were bypassed with ease.

Ings movement is different from Ollie. Need Ollie back.

12 minutes ago, May-Z said:

His hand was forced today with the starting line up so can't really grumble too much at what he selected.

However, there must be instructions for McGinn and Nakamba to go forward though...and for the high frequency of long balls forward. Those are things that we must absolutely sort out pronto because it meant we couldn't do anything to Watford today and will affect us badly in other games.

That's where I'm at. If he persist with that lineup then I will definitely be the first one to call him on it. 

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

The big question to ask is....did Jack cover for so many of our players and in fact helped them look over valued.

Judging by today's game.... we may soon have some answers.

I have been thinking about this, I think Jack leaving is in fact a net positive: During Jack's England appearances I was screaming at the TV "get it to Jack" but realising that there are 11 very good players on the field, all capable of something. I feel thats what we evolved into and what I always expected, everyone deffered to Jack and perhaps didnt dig deep into themselves. We have very talented players, I think they will be better for not always looking to getting it to Jack. I even think Jacks personal stats were great at the expense of others in the side, because he demanded the ball all the time.

I think we need to find a new way of playing, the second half showed we have talent, with more to come. I thought we gave the ball away too cheaply and had not idea on our outlet ball: no triangle or link up. Maybe thats why the kids shone in pre-season because they all played together and found their rythmn and colleagues. I thought Ransey really matured today.

I am not surprised by today, I was cringing last night at our fan base ridiculing Arsenal as I thought the same fate awaited us. Watford had a terrific home record last season and have built on that, we were half strangers to each other. We need to learn new patterns of attack, but we have the talent to make the most of it, but it doesnt happen over night.

We've had a a turbulent summer, shortened by the Euros somewhat with players returning late and the saga that played out. I think we are going to have teething issues for the first few weeks maybe much longer whilst players bed in to this team. The season imo started 2-3 weeks too early for us with the amount of incomings and lack of integration time they've had. 

From the game.....I'm not sure Ings and Ollie will work as a pairing and tbh I prefer Ollie as a solo. For the physical battle against defences, his speed at covering ground and his overall movement in the channels. Also, if McGinn is too stay in the middle then he needs more than Marv next to him, a great ratter he is but little else. They both got bypassed time and time again with Watford playing through them and I think we need a real boss in there. I thought Marv lost many of the 1-1s today and looked clumsy at times. Cash.....Dreadful, needs to liven up his shit after that showing or I'd be putting Freddie in his place or Axel. Targett off the pace. Bailey, excellent considering the very little time he's had to readjust since landing. Traore, also looked great when he came on.  

I also think this should be our 3 behind Watkins...

Buendia      Traore    Bailey

Ollie

I think this will give us the most balance going forward. Bailey looks the most adaptable to the LW position after todays cameo. 

Anyway one game and although disappointing nothing to be too concerned about but we must start next week better in our first home game in front of a packed VP. 

Image result for ruined my christmas gif

Oh brother, poor prep, fitness not there and we were against Watford who have made that place a fortress.

Circumstance brought Deano to make what turned out to be a poor team selection, but when most of the team do not click and they are against an 11 that over achieved, then you will get this. Credit to Dean for highlighting and making the changes. 

With a better squad the pressure is on to keep your shirt and it will take a game or two for some of them to settle down and relax in to a solid unit.

We WILL get better. So cheer the **** up and stop overeacting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As terrible as we were, if we can get unlucky here at Villa, you can safely bet we will.

Their first goal was poor defending all round. But what are the odds that the blocked shot goes straight back to Dennis to give him another chance?

Their second goal was deflected. It could have ended anywhere, but it just lobbed Emi instead.

Their third goal was a wonder strike. Now let Him take the same shot 10 more times. How often does he score?

This isn't to cover up what was a very poor performance, but this should also be taken into account.

Didn't see the game but our pre-season was disrupted, I guess we see that in our performance against Watford.

One thing that yet again seems to be highlighted is the midfield. Last season it was an issue and it's still not been fixed after many people thought was a MASSIVE problem!

40 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Selection was all wrong and we looked miles off it.

Much better second half with changes. Lots of WORK to do.

are we saying tha pre -season was a washout.

blimey, it sounds like the player with the biggest excuse, due to a late induction, LB was our best player......Bizarre.

• Like 1

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Didn't see the game but our pre-season was disrupted, I guess we see that in our performance against Watford.

One thing that yet again seems to be highlighted is the midfield. Last season it was an issue and it's still not been fixed after many people thought was a MASSIVE problem!

so why did our arguably best player have the most feasible excuse.

I think its clear that we need someone who starts moves from defensive midfield. A physical beast who surges forward, encouraging the rest of the team to make runs and get behind the defence. Get Cheick Doucoure or Anguissa in and the midfield will be so much better and reliable.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Wow people are voting McGinn MOTM!!!!!!

I've been tough on McGinn, but he was OK today, stepped up, but the midfield was generally over run by the pressing tactics. His goal was worthy of it alone in anotherwise forgettable game.

17 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Nah. It’s moneyball thinking.

Moneyball can never work in football because of the number of variables involved. There are more potential decisions made and actions undertaken during a match than there are stars in the universe.

23 minutes ago, May-Z said:

His hand was forced today with the starting line up so can't really grumble too much at what he selected.

However, there must be instructions for McGinn and Nakamba to go forward though...and for the high frequency of long balls forward. Those are things that we must absolutely sort out pronto because it meant we couldn't do anything to Watford today and will affect us badly in other games.

I don’t agree. If he had started a three with Bailey, Ings and Buendia and an extra man ((Ramsey I guess) in the middle of the park, we would have had a much better chance of getting a result. He messed up badly. He under estimated them and paid the price.

Â