Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

Very Disappointed with that start. Players don’t look sharp from the off after a disrupted pre-season, and we have some catching up to do. We have some of the so called “easier” games first, so we need a drastic improvement before the tougher games kick in.

Hopefully Ollie coming back along with Buendia and Bailey gaining sharpness and a couple more additions in midfield to add some physicality and we will be looking upwards again. 

We can’t afford too many bad ones like today!

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

3-2 Hides a multitude of problems IMO.

Budenia was very poor must have had a about 6 touches in the first half. When he got the ball he just seemed to stand still with and let players surround him. Can't believe he was fully fit

Ings - very poor - sure not much service - but struggled to even make nuisance of himself.

Our iffy players Nkamba, AEG, Cash - all had days to forget.

Worst of all we seemed to have no idea what were doing or supposed to be doing. People go on about missing jack - this much worst than last season without jack. I think we have tried to be to clever replacing jack - all this bollox about replacing him with 3 players - less reliant on him - complete tosh (even if it were true)  - We need somebody dynamic - not tidy players who place a couple of decent passes each game. We need someone that terrifies defences, makes things happen.

My point exactly too much nonsense about making up for stats that Grealish had contributed and all this nonsense, go and get that dynamic electric midfielder that has top talent and able to bring us to that next level, the strategy they chose is ridiculous and im not saying the players we signed are not good but its the philosophy behind it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomC said:

I'm surprised that people thought Cash was so bad. His defending was bad, but I thought he did reasonably well with the ball coming forward.

Running down the wings one thing, doing something at the ends another. I thought he was very poor in the final third. Took ages with his free kick early in the second half and didn’t even beat the first man 

• Like 1

We love a drama on here do we not!

Looking at it clinically, think Deano overestimated the fitness of his players, Beundia, Targett, Young all looked under baked to me and need minutes in their legs.  The Watford game plan worked, they defended deep and use pace down the sides on the counter and it worked for them.  Also, lets be honest, everything that could go for them, did.  For the first Konsa's block could have gone anywhere and Emi usually saves those, it appeared to go under him, the second took a deflection and could have gone anywhere, the third was a perfect finish but the pin ball in the build up could broke to them.

My worry is the difficulty we had in breaking down that defensive line.  Perhaps we went a little gung-ho at the start and should have been more defensively solid, as Watfords legs were bound to tire towards the back of the game if we had kept moving the ball.  A bit of game management.

Anyway, for those going on about relegation after one game, take a breath, let the drama go and we will be fine with more minutes into players legs and them understanding each others game.  Playing away to teams newly promoted is always difficult, see it for what it is and don't panic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't care what he did last season.

It's all about what he is doing right now. 

So you're a total flip-flopper who can only react a game at a time instead of looking at the overall? 

Targett was absolute quality last season and an awful 45 mins against a mint player does not define him as a player. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Might have to agree with you, until Matty gets back to last seasons levels.

What Ash doesn't have in physicality, he makes up for with experience.

Ash had Sarr’s number 2nd half, would like him to start at left back next week

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

My point exactly too much nonsense about making up for stats that Grealish had contributed and all this nonsense, go and get that dynamic electric midfielder that has top talent and able to bring us to that next level, the strategy they chose is ridiculous and im not saying the players we signed are not good but its the philosophy behind it

It smacks of  businessman thinking - not football people. 

In my book this was just a weirdly bad performance by everyone.

Target and cash both horrific. Nakamba should be 3rd choice.

Ramsey looked better than our new 30 mill player.

El goalzy can only take pens and shoot. He is hiding from passes behind opposition players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im not rating him at all  i want him to leave . When he plays we dont have wing its simple as that.

Team clearly needs to gel. 

After 3-1 from70to87minute Konsa Mings and Young just passing the ball between themselves that look pretty weird i got angry not gonna lie. No rush to win the game just passing for the sake of passing. Mings didint do any of his long balls...

Bailey looks great.

I think were fine we got 2 goals just from individual performances from behind!! were fine.

Edited by Tumblerseven

Just now, andyjsg said:

Ash had Sarr’s number 2nd half, would like him to start at left back next week

A 36 year old left back coming in to show an established left back how to defend a plucky winger, would suggest maybe we might have had too much faith in the established left back, to start with.

• Like 2

His hand was forced today with the starting line up so can't really grumble too much at what he selected.

However, there must be instructions for McGinn and Nakamba to go forward though...and for the high frequency of long balls forward. Those are things that we must absolutely sort out pronto because it meant we couldn't do anything to Watford today and will affect us badly in other games.

20 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Fitness fitness fitness. Looked like we had a shit preseason, and we did. Dropped in it during the last two weeks.

We always said it eould be a tough start because of it, and that we wouldn’t see the best of our team for at least a month. So it seems.

That said, we have been banging on about the midfield since before the end of last season, and we’ve been fannying about buying forward players. 

**** bite the bullet and buy a bastard midfielder.

We looked miles off the pace in terms of fitness and conditioning. Clearly evident in tired passes and poor touches from some normally very good players. We'll get better there.

Our midfield needs a leader, and I think we'll get him before the window closes. Watford beat us on athletism as much as anything else today.

Bailey and Traore looked good. Buendia looked far away from what we know he can do. Ollie will make a big difference in pressing from the front, and I'm pleased Ings got off the mark, even though he had a very quiet game.

Opening day, so anything can happen so I'm not reading too much into this.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

So you're a total flip-flopper who can only react a game at a time instead of looking at the overall? 

Targett was absolute quality last season and an awful 45 mins against a mint player does not define him as a player. 

To be fair, when you take Smith games without Jack (wether that was in the PL or Championship) all periods were full of today’s game. 
Targett were good all season. It’s totally different.

Â