Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

44 minutes ago, tinker said:

No manager wouldn't struggle with what he has lost this window......Disappointed he never strengthened the middle but maybe he has tried and failed but we should have had a back up to JWP. 

Not sure what's going on with the back room staff leaving its all a bit strange tbh there has to fire where there's smoke.

FWIW I think Smith is the manager to bring us through  the undoubted disruption we have suffered.  I just hope that the owners don't think they can bring in a quick fix if we start losing games, that would be a disastrous move.

Keep the faith, Smiths is the man to take us forward but we have to realise that we was a stronger team last season and this season is all about survival UTV 

You and ya pal must be on drugs mate. This season is far from just survival, it's about getting into Europe, Smith's said it himself and the board and I think Purslow will be expecting it!!

Stronger team last season?? Debatable with who we have replaced Jack with.

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

It's the personnel that's the issue, Nakamba is garbage and McGinns should only be on as a sub. This has been apparant since we lost Grealish towards the end of last season. Really hoping he was forced into this, hopefully Luiz back and play anyone else other than McGinn

But McGinn was just named Vice Captain which shows what status he still have under Smith.

He is never getting dropped.

9 minutes ago, supermon said:

If he loses the next two the he should be sacked in my opinion. Don't want to hang around seeing how long its going to take for him to learn how to play without Grealish. 

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

It's the personnel that's the issue, 

Makes sense to me.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Fitness across the whole team looked an issue today. I’d say the disruptive pre-season and lack of games really showed.

Targett was exposed but let’s not dress this up, because he was woeful and rightly replaced at the break. Cash, Konsa and Mings don’t escape criticism here either because none of them were good today.

Buendia was not 100% fit and put extra pressure on Nakamba and McGinn to do the work of three usually. Midfield was better with Ramsey helping but the midfield needs addressing quickly. 

Ings had nothing at all to work with. Lack of support and service. Better when Bailey and Traore came on.

We desperately need a calming influence in the midfield and dare I say it, Ward-Prowse is probably it. 

A player who dominates the ball usually is.

Dean's comments after the game show how unhappy he is, talks about the lack of intensity and pace, says he gave them a dressing-down at half time and will ask more questions tomorrow.

Good enough for me for now.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, tinker said:

No manager wouldn't struggle with what he has lost this window......Disappointed he never strengthened the middle but maybe he has tried and failed but we should have had a back up to JWP. 

Not sure what's going on with the back room staff leaving its all a bit strange tbh there has to fire where there's smoke.

FWIW I think Smith is the manager to bring us through  the undoubted disruption we have suffered.  I just hope that the owners don't think they can bring in a quick fix if we start losing games, that would be a disastrous move.

Keep the faith, Smiths is the man to take us forward but we have to realise that we was a stronger team last season and this season is all about survival UTV 

The owners have never shed s yet sign of being in anyway knee jerk reactionists, so I’m sure they’ll keep the faith. 

The transfer window is still over two weeks away from slamming shut. So we can’t really comment on the overall situation until the panes are shaking and the hinges barely hanging on. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

But McGinn was just named Vice Captain which shows what status he still have under Smith.

He is never getting dropped.

Yeah worrying, decent player but not quite a starter for me. I always felt JWP would be a McGinn replacement, I may be totally wrong as I have no idea of JWP position

Blimey that was tough watching. Nakamba particularly poor, if we want to get better we need a defensive midfielder who can break up play, and pass the ball, and not lose it. Nakamba did not of the above at all today.

I don’t like being too critical of our players but that was shite by a few of them. 

Edited by alreadyexists

58 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Look at all the incoming overreactions...

This was basically a preseason game, missing a couple of players though injury, trying to bleed in the new guys, trying to adopt a new style and adapt without the player everything went through. Away to a newly promoted side. Obviously there were a couple of really bad individual performances as well, but those happen. I'd prefer we get them out of the system sooner than later.

We clawed back two goals, and if you subtract the Mings deflected OG, this would've ended 2-2.

Bailey and Ramsey both looked good. Buendia a debut to forget but we know how good he is.

Cash needs to do some extra work in training because that was not Premier League standard play. 

McGinn MOTM for his goal and industry.

Disappointed of course, but it's not even halfway through August. It's a long season.

I suggest that instead of telling the manager to "Go f*ck himself", we actually support him, support the project and the players. Novel idea, huh?

But dare I say this.....is he really a winger?

6 minutes ago, supermon said:

Yeah that's just me though and of course it won't happen, maybe it's the frustration speaking but really fed up of seeing these tepid Deano displays

Why when we lose is it a tepid deano display? Targett was awful  that's not Deano. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Agreed about full backs, but I don’t think the problem is talent. Fitness and mental resilience. Get Targett a bloody performance coach/psychologist, cos he shat himself today.

Hasn't got the athleticism to be facing a a pacy winger.

Smith got it wrong, he tried something strange and if I'm honest it didn't work.

I do not know why he'd played Ghazi at all, Ashley in a position he hasn't played for a while and most of all have us keep standing off of the opposition and be totally passive.

We played very well second half but the experiment just messed us up to the point we couldn't come back from it.

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

Why when we lose is it a tepid deano display? Targett was awful  that's not Deano. 

Why when we win should we give credit to Deano? If it was a one off display then fine but it isn't, been like this since end of last season

Â