Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

Smith got it wrong in the first half, but the changes made in the second half helped us get back in it. 

The biggest change was taking Targett off. Young is a very fast player, he might not be as good as Targett at left back, but pace vs pace makes complete sense. Targett didn't get done by Sarr repeatedly because he's shit, he got done because he's slower.  

Had we played as we did in the second half for the full 90 I think we'd have won. It wouldn't have been a showy performance by any stretch, but Ramsey, Bailey and Traore changed the game. They gave us avenues to attack and they gave us creativity.

Buendia didn't have the greatest match of his career. I do wonder if he's struggling for fitness, but AMC is also not his best position. He definitely had more impact when he was moved to the right which makes sense of course.

Not the greatest start to the season, but it is only the first game hopefully another week of training as a unit will make us more cohesive ahead of Newcastle. 

Too little too late. We can talk about soft goals conceded, but it was a very disappointing performance. More questions were raised than were answered. 

Does that mean this is what we’ll be this season? No, let’s not doom monger just yet. We’ll come back stronger, I’m sure. 

But this? This was ****.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Troglodyte said:

I'm sure we'll never start with that midfield again. That's one of the few positives (along with Bailey) that came out of that game.

It was a terrible performance but we'll be good once the attacking players click, especially when we can factor Watkins back into that. Buendía looked too lightweight at times but once he knows where the runners are, I think he'll make things happen. Today, he needed a little more time and got caught in possession too often as a result, considering he doesn't have the strength to hold it up when crowded out.

El Ghazi isn't good enough and if we can get a decent fee for him then I'll be glad to see him go. I'll always be thankful for his playoff goal and he seems a decent lad, but doesn't offer enough. Always looking to shoot.

Main problem was at full back - both were abysmal today. Hopefully they can come back from that but will also need better support from the wingers. They're good players. Young did a far better job than Targett today though. I'm hoping we keep Guilbert for extra challenge/cover.

We also need to be stronger in central midfield but this was better when we had Ramsey on. We need a solid three in the middle. Fingers crossed Sanson can get fit and find his way into the team, and that Dougie won't be too shattered from this summer.

Agreed about full backs, but I don’t think the problem is talent. Fitness and mental resilience. Get Targett a bloody performance coach/psychologist, cos he shat himself today.

3-2 Hides a multitude of problems IMO.

Budenia was very poor must have had a about 6 touches in the first half. When he got the ball he just seemed to stand still with and let players surround him. Can't believe he was fully fit

Ings - very poor - sure not much service - but struggled to even make nuisance of himself.

Our iffy players Nkamba, AEG, Cash - all had days to forget.

Worst of all we seemed to have no idea what were doing or supposed to be doing. People go on about missing jack - this much worst than last season without jack. I think we have tried to be to clever replacing jack - all this bollox about replacing him with 3 players - less reliant on him - complete tosh (even if it were true)  - We need somebody dynamic - not tidy players who place a couple of decent passes each game. We need someone that terrifies defences, makes things happen.

• Thanks 2

What a miserable start to the new season! We really should not have lost that and with a few more minutes, we might not have. I had hoped that we would have broken the habit that we developed last season, of losing games away from home, that had look winnable on paper. We knew a newly promoted team would be up for it and to go three goals behind to them was embarrassing. Still at least we're above Arsenal and Leeds. :rolleyes:

That was the Targett against Traore. Young looked at lot better. 

The team that started won't be the team we play. El Ghazi shouldn't be anywhere near the first team with Bailey looking good. 

Would like Guilbert to start the next game to put some pressure on Cash. 

I can see Ings scoring a few from Bailey crosses. 

Traore was great when he came on. 

Konsa and Mings were poor. 

Watford got their tactics spot on. 

18 minutes ago, calcifer said:

After one game? Seriously? Our pre season was a mess with the whole Greedlish saga, games getting postponed etc. Arsenal got beat by Brentford 2-0, Leeds got thrashed 5-1, I bet their fans are not as wet as some of our 'fans' 

I agree we cant get too emotional after one game, players barely know each other especially up top some haven’t even trained properly , however the first half was extremely poor, i dont even know who to say our best player was 🤷🏾‍♂️ Nakamba if he didnt pass so carelessly at times, taking off Targett would have done his confidence no good however i dont disagree with the decision but its abit harsh. I felt like Carney or JPB should been thrown on imo and not JR , even though Ramsey didnt play too bad, we missed that Watkins nuisance presence up front tbf... go get Bernardo Silva and we will be fine. I felt like Buendia showed some magic but was nowhere near involved in the match as he should have been. Bailey should have been played at RW but circumstances i guess changed the dynamics 

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 1

Smith’s record without Grealish last season was relegation form. It continues into this season. Defensively we were shocking too - I hope last season’s defence wasn’t a fluke.

I believe Watford will be down there by the end of the season so he has to turn it around and quick.

The subs actually made a difference and brought energy and pace we massively needed, but it was too late. Too much wrong in the first half and McGinn + Marv deep not a functional combination. Outmuscled, outpressed and outpaced at every turn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Lol, is any one really surprised?

Looked better second half, it’s going to take until November to find our feet.

By which time European qualification will look a distant memory

That team selection was ridiculous today. El Ghazi shouldn’t be anywhere near our starting 11. How he started in front of Bidace today is beyond me. 
Young was completely ineffective on the left in attack and provided no support for Targett. 
Targett and Cash were shocking, worst game I’ve seen Cash play for us. 
JJ got MOM for me, if he’d have started in a three in the middle things would have been different from the start. We need an upgrade on Nakamba and we’re going to get turned over by any team in this league if we start with him and McGinn in the middle. 
We’re so slow on the ball and are unable to move up the pitch without lumping it. Buendia is wasted when we can’t get him on the ball. Ings is also wasted when we can’t create anything for him, he’s not as mobile as Ollie and isn’t going to stretch defences. 
Traore looked lively when he came on, and Bailey looks like a talent. Huge game next weekend. 

• Thanks 1

Highlights:

• Bailey with an assist
  • Ings with a debut goal
  • Dean making subs early
  • it took only 4 minutes for "Mings to Ings" by the commentators 🤣

Lowlights:

• Both Fullbacks
  • Both starting wingers (Young redeemed himself a little as a left back)
  • Dean's starting line-up

Things to address:

• Since they are allowing more physical play this year, we really need some presence in midfield

I predicted only 3 points from the first 5 games. We are going to take some time to gel with so many attacking changes.

No need to panic - leave that to Arsenal (because they should be)

• Like 3

I put this one only partially on Dean because there were some abysmal performances by some of our better players last year. 

Targett was a non-entity. I have never seen a FB get done that many times in one half. What made it worst was that once Young went to LB we didn't hear from Sarr for the rest of the game. 

Nakamba is the other with a 0/10 performance. Truly awful. Douglas please hurry back from vacation. 

Honorable mention to Matty Cash. How could a former RW have that many poor touches. I guess we see why Forest moved him to RB. 

On to the manager.  Dean starting with Young as a winger was poor. Maybe he didn't have a choice given the fitness concerns of our other wingers but that put us under the cosh from the get go. Hopefully Bailey and Traore are ready for next week because we can never do that starting lineup again. 

• Like 1

Â