Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not getting carried away after 1 game, just as I wasn't after we won 4 on the bounce last season. But today was very poor. I hate when we play at this ground, it's always a thrashing. Was especially disappointed with Cash. I hope Guilbert puts him under pressure. But I feel Nakamba and his partnership with McGinn is what undid us today. Buendia had a bad debut too, but it's only the first game. We've had plenty of great players have awful debuts for us.

There were still positives though. I think we're 1 good CM away from being competitive. We saw when Bailey and Traore came on how dangerous we can be. Ings needs to build up chemistry with his teammates, but once he does he'll be deadly. We still have Watkins to come in. Deano will figure this out. It was always going to take a bit of time for a team that was built around 1 player to adjust to life without him. The good thing is that we have a very good squad now and should be able to cope after some inevitable teething.

Guilbert will never displace Cash, Cash is usually 100% on the button but he just had a bad game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

A 36 year old left back coming in to show an established left back how to defend a plucky winger, would suggest maybe we might have had too much faith in the established left back, to start with.

Nah, I’m not buying it based on last year’s performances. He’s either not fit, or his head aint right. Either way we need to get him right soon.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

A 36 year old left back coming in to show an established left back how to defend a plucky winger, would suggest maybe we might have had too much faith in the established left back, to start with.

Yeah agreed. Seems bad Targett was back although I think he went into panic mode and never made it back. A couple of games on the bench, me thinks

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

It smacks of  businessman thinking - not football people. 

I'm actually more concerned that us " football people " on here, still think flair players are our main issue.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

So you're a total flip-flopper who can only react a game at a time instead of looking at the overall? 

Targett was absolute quality last season and an awful 45 mins against a mint player does not define him as a player. 

No. But this isn't last season.

If he doesn't perform now he shouldn't be in the team.

I would play Young at LB for now.

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

His hand was forced today with the starting line up so can't really grumble too much at what he selected.

However, there must be instructions for McGinn and Nakamba to go forward though...and for the high frequency of long balls forward. Those are things that we must absolutely sort out pronto because it meant we couldn't do anything to Watford today and will affect us badly in other games.

I think having only two in the midfield will keep us losing. We need to either play a proper 442, or choose 3 of Ings, Watkins, Buendia or Bailey. 

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm actually more concerned the us " football people " on here, still think flair players are our main issue.

Well the one gone we scored (from open play) - had a bit of flair about it.

IMO - I think our touted flair players are actually steady eddy types.

2 minutes ago, May-Z said:

and for the high frequency of long balls forward

Drives me nuts, we must be the shortest team in the league outside of defenders but we just lump it up over and over. All comes from a much too static midfield who rarely show for the ball in the right places and put themselves under pressure.

• Like 1

Need time to bed in new players and formations, quite risky at the start of a season where you could lose your first 3-4 games and then you’re chasing the pack.

The biggest problem we are facing now is that we may well be able to spend 40 mill on another player but then you are asking 4-5 new players to hit the ground running and it’s just not going to happen, we’re trying to skip a stage here and we’ll be punished for it.

On another note Targett was absolutely dreadful today, he will do well to put in a worse performance in the rest of his villa career.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Drives me nuts, we must be the shortest team in the league outside of defenders but we just lump it up over and over. All comes from a much too static midfield who rarely show for the ball in the right places and put themselves under pressure.

Yep. So many of our problems seem to stem from midfield.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well the one gone we scored (from open play) - had a bit of flair about it.

IMO - I think our touted flair players are actually steady eddy types.

We could have Messi and Mbappe in our team and still get overrun in midfield.

At least we'd lose more " excitingly "

• Like 1

Bailey starting will make a big difference. Young was there today because of injuries and to try to negate Sarr (didn’t work). AEG gonna be AEG. 

That central area is a puzzle. Without an real shit house enforcer behind him, I wouldn’t be looking to play Buendia centrally. That area of the pitch is v v much a work on progress: I’m not sure the coaching staff can know the answer to it yet. 

I don’t think today is a reflection of the season to come: but it perhaps sounds some warning sirens that we need to heed. 

We had games last season like this - think Leeds. 

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Yep. So many of our problems seem to stem from midfield.

I don't get the obsession with playing with a 10.. really don't

Just play like Liverpool. 3 hard working midfielders who works their socks off to win the ball back and give it to the forward players.

This 2 man midfield project isn't gonna work.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We could have Messi and Mbappe in our team and still get overrun in midfield.

At least we'd lose more " excitingly "

Wouldnt mind trying that pairing for the newcastle game though !

Â