Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Nakamba / Luiz

Bailey - Meatball - Buendia

Watkins - Ings

Nakamba better put in a shift if so. Quite vulnerable down the flanks there

Just now, HKP90 said:

Nakamba better put in a shift if so. Quite vulnerable down the flanks there

Defensively Buendia puts a shift in, unsure of Bailey as not seen enough of him. But Ings could drop back and also McGinn drops to make a 4-2-3-1 without the ball.

I don't think it's far fetched to think we'd line up in a 4-4-2 of sorts, it's basically the shape we played out of possession for most of last season with Barkley pushing up to press with Ollie, in fact I remember people questioning why we were playing Barkley as a striker. I'd expect Ings to replace Barkley in that position only he'll likely be much more effective. I think the fact we appear to have been in for JWP supports this idea as well as it's a similar system to the one Soton play.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

I don't think it's far fetched to think we'd line up in a 4-4-2 of sorts, it's basically the shape we played out of possession for most of last season with Barkley pushing up to press with Ollie, in fact I remember people questioning why we were playing Barkley as a striker. I'd expect Ings to replace Barkley in that position only he'll likely be much more effective. I think the fact we appear to have been in for JWP supports this idea as well as it's a similar system to the one Soton play.

https://video.avfc.co.uk/video/dm9kJTdDMF96MjJybmZ1NiU3QyUyRnNlY3Rpb24lM0ZzbHVnJTNEaG9tZSU3Q2hvbWUlMkZoZXJvX2Nhcm91c2Vs?lang=en

Interestingly at around 0:50 Ings and Ollie appear to be discussing playing together, with Ings sayig 'just let me drift'.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Moving Watkins from the CF would be a mistake imo. 

I think there is a degree of overthinking here.

After the season Ollie has had you could argue that. But DS played Jack out of position for the best part of two seasons to great affect and it's not like Ollie hasn't played a wide position before?

Edited by zab6359

31 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

After the season Ollie has had you could argue that. But DS played Jack out of position for the best part of two seasons to great affect and it's not like Ollie hasn't played a wide position before?

Yeah but Jack thrived being out wide - and I believe he hopped between the two positions for a while.

I think this might be one that sorts itself as we go along. 

I think we’ll go 4-3-3 ;

Martinez

Nakamba/Luiz - JWP/Sanson

Buendia/Mcginn

Bailey - Ings - Watkins

or?

Martinez

Nakamba/Luiz - JWP/Sanson

Ings/Mcginn

Bailey - Watkins - Buendia

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Contrarily, one could argue that DS found Jack's best position which led to where he is today. I trust DS to find the right balance in positioning between Ollie and Danny

• Like 4

Grealish has played left wing for most of his career including for the U21s, so Smith wasn't playing him out of position, he only played centrally for one and a half seasons in the championship.

• Like 3

Random and far fetched theory I heard today:-

Ings was offered a whopping signing on fee on the proviso the deal was completed on the day. Purslows motivation ?  as spurs had an eye on Ings as a Kane replacement. This makes Kane to Man city harder.

Bit convoluted but the mood purslow was in in that statement and the other rumour that we tried to sell Grealish to Man U .......who knows !!!!!

Don't mess with CP !!

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Random and far fetched theory I heard today:-

Ings was offered a whopping signing on fee on the proviso the deal was completed on the day. Purslows motivation ?  as spurs had an eye on Ings as a Kane replacement. This makes Kane to Man city harder.

Bit convoluted but the mood purslow was in in that statement and the other rumour that we tried to sell Grealish to Man U .......who knows !!!!!

Don't mess with CP !!

Was the figure 6m or something like that? saw something similar mentioned from a saints page.

Highly likely and i think i like him even more for it. Purslow is also a minor owner of Villa so he has long term interests in making sure there is as even a playing field as possible. Makes sense why it was silent . They probably made Ings sign an NDA which is why he couldnt even tell his dad. 

Its good because the owners and Purslow are thinking long term even when they take a hit short term. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Grealish has played left wing for most of his career including for the U21s, so Smith wasn't playing him out of position, he only played centrally for one and a half seasons in the championship.

You mean Gresford?  I don’t recognise that name

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Liverpool play 4-3-3 though.

With 2 box to box midfielders and 1 dm.

It's the best formation imo and something I'd like us to play.

It isn't. You have to have a special player to make it work. Every good attacking team these days has a player in the hole. You need one to dominate possession and create good chances. It just so happened Liverpool had a player who is also among the most relentless presses in the game and the 2 most prolific wingers in the Premier league. That formation doesn't work unless you have those 2 things. Or serious world class talent like Messi. 

22 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Interesting Ings has specifically said he is looking forward to playing alongside Ollie. Really exciting to see what the club are cooking up here. 

I think we'll be playing more like the Liverpool front three than the Villa front three.  I mean we played two wingers and a striker in the front three whereas Liverpool played three forwards.  I think Watkins, Ings and Bailey could play that really well with Buendia behind in my middle three

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think we'll be playing more like the Liverpool front three than the Villa front three.  I mean we played two wingers and a striker in the front three whereas Liverpool played three forwards.  I think Watkins, Ings and Bailey could play that really well with Buendia behind in my middle three

That's good, because I think Ollie plays like Firmino but with more pace. Should be a beautiful fit as being the engine in the middle.

• Like 1

Â