Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

4 hours ago, messi11 said:

I was reading the Southampton forum today. Someone reckons they have a more capable/Talented squad then us lol. Reckons we've bought unproven players like Leon Bailey and Buendia.

One poster last few days posted Smith sacked by Christmas and he wouldn't bet against Villa getting relegated

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think he's got every attribute to work well in a 10 role.

We really should not move Buendia or Watkins out of their favorable positions.

I would and did agree with this sentence until Ings turned up at the club. This signing is a bit of a game changer though I think. It's not worth signing someone as good as Ings and then shoehorning him in somewhere he doesn't fit 

• Like 2

Just now, skarroki said:

I would and did agree with this sentence until Ings turned up at the club. This signing is a bit of a game changer though I think. It's not worth signing someone as good as Ings and then shoehorning him in somewhere he doesn't fit 

Well ultimately we'll see what Smith choose to do.

But he isn't a 4-4-2 man. That's for sure.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well ultimately we'll see what Smith choose to do.

But he isn't a 4-4-2 man. That's for sure.

He wasn't really a 5 at the back or 4-2-3-1 kinda manager when he arrived though and Shakespeare might be keen to continue developing options B, C, D and E to surprise opponents and give us and edge. 

I think with the new signings and Grealish leaving we've begun the annual "what's our best XI" discussion without considering form, fitness and the next opposition. It's highly unlikely the same XI will play together each week and in the same shape. 

As long as our best available players are on the pitch in a practised style and shape, I'm happy with any formation next season. 

Interesting to think about the attacking options we have now. In a recent interview - at Villa - Ings talked about the possibility of playing as a false nine. This made me think of the Liverpool team that won the Premier league and Champions league. Firmino is nominal “centre forward” but comes deep to play in Mane or Salah - both of whom start wide but end up in front of goal and scoring! Just imagine having a front three of Watkins, Ings and Bailey with Buendia prompting. Whatever system(s) Dean chooses we will be causing problems for most teams this season.

• Like 2

i may be alone in this, but I keep on trying to justify this deal and I just can’t do it. I don’t doubt he’ll score goals for us in the short term, but I can’t help but think we were fine with wesley as back up to watkins who has earned that starting role up front. the money could have been invested better in other positions and on someone with more resale value.

unless we play 4-4-2 which I highly doubt will happen, the result seems to be a square peg in a round hole somewhere. should’ve signed someone to play in jack’s position who can also provide cover up front in case of injury.

I love the player, but that still doesn’t make it a logical signing.

put it this way…would you catch leicester signing a 29 year old for 30 million with one year left on his deal who has suffered niggling injuries throughout his career?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Interesting to think about the attacking options we have now. In a recent interview - at Villa - Ings talked about the possibility of playing as a false nine. This made me think of the Liverpool team that won the Premier league and Champions league. Firmino is nominal “centre forward” but comes deep to play in Mane or Salah - both of whom start wide but end up in front of goal and scoring! Just imagine having a front three of Watkins, Ings and Bailey with Buendia prompting. Whatever system(s) Dean chooses we will be causing problems for most teams this season.

Liverpool play 4-3-3 though.

With 2 box to box midfielders and 1 dm.

It's the best formation imo and something I'd like us to play.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

i may be alone in this, but I keep on trying to justify this deal and I just can’t do it. I don’t doubt he’ll score goals for us in the short term, but I can’t help but think we were fine with wesley as back up to watkins who has earned that starting role up front. the money could have been invested better in other positions and on someone with more resale value.

unless we play 4-4-2 which I highly doubt will happen, the result seems to be a square peg in a round hole somewhere. should’ve signed someone to play in jack’s position who can also provide cover up front in case of injury.

put it this way…would you catch leicester signing a 29 year old for 30 million with one year left on his deal who has suffered niggling injuries throughout his career?

Would you be frothing if we signed Kane because Ings has near Kane output for 6th of the price. I was dead against Tammy idea because flat track bully lanky Darren Bent type striker doesn't fit but never thought we had chance of Ings who is great press striker. You can stick 3-4 attackers in free roles to an extent and the press is defence in opposition 3rd. Look at Liverpool and Klopp gegenpress

Edited by Kiwivillan

9 hours ago, messi11 said:

I was reading the Southampton forum today. Someone reckons they have a more capable/Talented squad then us lol. Reckons we've bought unproven players like Leon Bailey and Buendia.

Norwich are the same. Had a look on their forum a few days back (Trying to see if there was any Cantwell ITK stuff) and some of the posters think they will be our equals on the pitch this season and we aren't a step up. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Liverpool play 4-3-3 though.

With 2 box to box midfielders and 1 dm.

It's the best formation imo and something I'd like us to play.

It’s a nominal 4-3-3 but Liverpool do not stick rigidly to it. Firmino drops deep regularly to play in Mane or Salah. What happens behind depends upon how you want to set-up. The combination of attacking/box-to-box/defensive midfielders depends on who you are playing but in any case needs to be fluid.

Just now, PerryBarrPet said:

It’s a nominal 4-3-3 but Liverpool do not stick rigidly to it. Firmino drops deep regularly to play in Mane or Salah. What happens behind depends upon how you want to set-up. The combination of attacking/box-to-box/defensive midfielders depends on who you are playing but in any case needs to be fluid.

The front 3 does need to be fluid but Klopp have perfected it.

I am a 4-3-3 man but we'll see how Smith lines up.

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Norwich are the same. Had a look on their forum a few days back (Trying to see if there was any Cantwell ITK stuff) and some of the posters think they will be our equals on the pitch this season and we aren't a step up. 

Newly promoted teams are always bullish because they're used to winning - I seem to remember many of our lot being unduly optimistic (including myself) in our first season back in the league. Fans have short memories. 

• Like 1

To be fair to Saints and Norwich fans looking in from the outside, we have had two seasons back in the Premier League. The first we survived by the skin of our teeth, and the second season was a season of two halves with us dropping off form in the second half with Grealish out injured.

We all think we have bought well during this summer and shown ambition, but we still have a lot to prove in the PL. With Grealish gone, other fans who have seen us struggle without Grealish will naturally assume we will struggle again.

I think that until we see regular top 8 finishes we will be seen as one of the “rest” and a team that could easily drop back into the relegation scrap with a bad run of form.

Hopefully the signings of Bailey, Ings and  Buendia will settle quickly and fire plenty of goals for us. Until they do we are still considered a bit of an unknown quantity.

I think a couple more decent signings to help shore up our numbers in the defensive and midfield side of the squad and we are well positioned to push on. But, we still have to prove ourselves as regular top 8 finishers yet.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

Apart from the bit about Wesley I agree. I see Ings coming on late on in games if we need a goal. Or if Watkins gets injured.

I think any experiment with him and Watkins in the starting 11 will be short lived 

48 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

This might well be the case , Buendia might play as a 8 along with Mcginn with Luiz of Nakamba sitting, we have so many options now , we can pick a team based on opposition rathe than a nailed on starting 11

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think he's got every attribute to work well in a 10 role.

We really should not move Buendia or Watkins out of their favorable positions.

They will overlap sweetly just as a 3 behind Ollie would. 

I like you're 433 comments and we should go with that in many games but revert to other formations if Deano reads the opposition differently. 

Â