Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, skarroki said:

Anyone suggesting Ings will be sat on the bench, playing second fiddle to Watkins are in dreamland. Absolutely no chance. 

This.

No way would he have joined us to sit on the bench. He could have held on for Spurs who I’m sure would have gone in for him when / if Kane leaves.

Has he played in a no 10 role for Saints? When you look at his goals many of them are made when he is on the shoulder of their last defender, then makes darting runs behind their defence and scores. In a no 10 role he wont be the one doing this, and if he plays there, don't we loose his perhaps best attribute and wont score as many as before?

Perhaps he and Watkins can interchange. It's harsh on Watkins, but perhaps it's better to play him as wide forward instead of playing Ings as no 10. But I haven't watched enough of Saints, perhaps Ings works well as a no 10 as well. 

38 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Has he played in a no 10 role for Saints? When you look at his goals many of them are made when he is on the shoulder of their last defender, then makes darting runs behind their defence and scores. In a no 10 role he wont be the one doing this, and if he plays there, don't we loose his perhaps best attribute and wont score as many as before?

Perhaps he and Watkins can interchange. It's harsh on Watkins, but perhaps it's better to play him as wide forward instead of playing Ings as no 10. But I haven't watched enough of Saints, perhaps Ings works well as a no 10 as well. 

This is absolutely what I was thinking. Of the two Ings has to play up front. Watto could be a 10, a SS or out wide, but Ings in any one of those positions makes no sense. Most of the goals i’ve seen from Ings have been from 6-10yards. He’s a poacher.

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

This is absolutely what I was thinking. Of the two Ings has to play up front. Watto could be a 10, a SS or out wide, but Ings in any one of those positions makes no sense. Most of the goals i’ve seen from Ings have been from 6-10yards. He’s a poacher.

Moving Watkins from the CF would be a mistake imo. 

I think there is a degree of overthinking here.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Moving Watkins from the CF would be a mistake imo. 

I think there is a degree of overthinking here.

Only other option is 2 up top

55 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't think it's harsh on Watkins if you look at how he played last season. His fitness and workrate means he can work the channels either side of Ings and will be an absolute menace for the opposition. 

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't think Smith will do either of those things. 

So what are you thinking? Ings out wide? Bench?

No way would he have signed for those prospects, which makes me think we have a way of playing him sussed out and have done for some time.

Watkins is not a bog standard centre forward, he's more than that. If you ask him to just get on the end of things in the box and put the ball in the net you're wasting 70% of his talent.

He's at his most dangerous between the half way line and level with the penalty spot, because he's got pace and energy as well as good control of a football.

Ings is an out and out poacher/finisher. He works hard for the team outside the box but comes alive in and around the penalty area. There's a role for both of them with plenty of interchanging happening during 90 minutes.

Neither of them is an old fashioned number 9, but their particular skills definitely complement each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

Watkins is not a bog standard centre forward, he's more than that. If you ask him to just get on the end of things in the box and put the ball in the net you're wasting 70% of his talent.

He's at his most dangerous between the half way line and level with the penalty spot, because he's got pace and energy as well as good control of a football.

Ings is an out and out poacher/finisher. He works hard for the team outside the box but comes alive in and around the penalty area. There's a role for both of them with plenty of interchanging happening during 90 minutes.

Neither of them is an old fashioned number 9, but their particular skills definitely complement each other.

Couldn’t agree more.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Yes, and one problem for me is that if we dont play Watkins as CF we lose his best attribute which is his pressing and running in the channels.

I guess the best solution is to play Ings as CF and Watkins wide forward. Watkins could still do some of his pressing, but it’s not his optimal position and not even sure he would be first choice there.

It’s really good to have different options and it’s a luxury problem, but I can’t really see how to fit in Watkins and Ings to make it optimal 100%. Or in other words, both are best suited as CF, both can play in other positions, but we have other players who are probably better in those positions.

Over a whole season we need two top class CF, we now have that, let’s see them compete for it.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

12 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Yes that could work, with Buendia out wide then perhaps? Otherwise isn’t Buendia better suited in the no 10 role threading through balls to Ings/Watkins?

Ings also allows us to got 4-1-3-2.

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Nakamba / Luiz

Bailey - Meatball - Buendia

Watkins - Ings

• Like 1

Â