Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

If we put Danny Ings or Ollie Watkins up for sale, we would have many suitors.

That flys in the face of their actual performances, and goal returns, so I conclude/deduce, not enough quality ball is getting to them.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Main issue with Ings is how mediocre he is pressing.

I mean he played for a few years under Hasenhuttl who demands that from his forwards so I was expecting him to be as energetic as Ollie generally has been for us off the ball but Ings has been on the fringes of that and so many games he's barely made an impact.

Strange he didn't look that good in a two with Ollie either, last season he played a decent number of games alongside Che Adams who'd do plenty of the running and going back 6-7 years he played in a two at Burnley in the prem as Dyche always plays 4-4-2.

His record really isn't good at all. 3 goals in 15 games. One was last minute penalty at Watford (game he made little impact in), second was that great strike v Newcastle but no forward can score that sort of goal regularly so really that close range header v Wolves is only typical goal you'd expect so far.

I do think he's trying but simply has a feel of another big money striker signing who just isn't going to work out for us in the long run. At least this time we shouldn't be making massive loss on him compared to Hogan  and McCormack in recent times, Brighton would pay 15-20m as that's exactly the type they lack in final third.

Despite Gerrard being with him at Liverpool I do think in six months he'll be ruthless and realise Ings simply isn't the correct fit for us. Very similar to when we signed Darren Bent 2-3 years too late.

Danny, doesn't look fit too me, his work looks laboured, right now.

I always saw him as a good reader, and made sneaky runs in behind the defence....but we are not getting quality ball in to those areas.

Carneys ball in to Ollie was the last I can remember, Danny used to thrive off them....Danny used to have the deft foot of JWP to feed off too, again quality ball provider.

He has a decent goal scoring record, the trick is to get him scoring again and that is as much the approach play as him, himself.

Ollie too has struggled since Jack has left, the provider, he capitalised on.

I think we have 2 very decent forwards, who we are just not getting enough from.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 20:15, a-k said:

I'd like to at least give a chance to Ings as the lone striker flanked by two of Traore, Bailey, and Buendia, with McGinn behind attacking and Dougie and Sanson holding.

Ramsey instead of Sanson, but

About Time GIFs | Tenor

Wonderful goal and a couple of flashes here and there but I don't think the Brentford defenders were breathing too heavily this afternoon.

This guy needs quality service to contribute. He won't get it here very often unfortunately. Equally he won't get it at many other sides of our level. To compensate he needs to offer more in other areas. I don't think he won a single contest against the defender marking him today.

Fabulous goal but he's completely reliant on those around him.

If he's not scoring he's virtually a passenger.

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Wonderful goal and a couple of flashes here and there but I don't think the Brentford defenders were breathing too heavily this afternoon.

This guy needs quality service to contribute. He won't get it here very often unfortunately. Equally he won't get it at many other sides of our level. To compensate he needs to offer more in other areas. I don't think he won a single contest against the defender marking him today.

Fabulous goal but he's completely reliant on those around him.

If he's not scoring he's virtually a passenger.

Doesn't work in a 1 striker system.

We need an outlet up front. Someone who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Ings isn't athletic enough.

Great finish though and some nice link up play but I still would play Watkins every day of the week.

• Confused 3

Good from Ings today, good link up play with Buendia.  Shows when we create he’ll score.  Really good pressing today as well.  Should be enough to keep the shirt ahead of Watkins.

• Like 3

Just now, Richie k said:

most of ings game time has been in a 2 upfront system that didnt work mainly due to watkins. a run of starts and he can give us goals

Yeah with Watkins out of form maybe with Watkins not playing Ings can give us the goals.  Ings has from some quarters given the blame for why the Ollie/Ings partnership hasn’t worked so far but it looks more likely that Watkins was the issue.  Hopefully Ings gets a run of games now.

• Like 2

Hard to call between him and Watkins really as what they offer most generally differs. He's a better footballer though and you could see flashes of it today, there were quite a few moments of quality from him where he was subsequently let down by quite a rusty Traore.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Doesn't work in a 1 striker system.

We need an outlet up front. Someone who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Ings isn't athletic enough.

Great finish though and some nice link up play but I still would play Watkins every day of the week.

Doesn’t work but scores and should have had a second. Ran his socks off and looked better than Watkins has recently.

• Like 2

Â