Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think he’s a more intelligent striker than Watkins and I suspect top play makers like Coutinho or Buendia will be able to get more out of that.

He's much more intelligent, but he just looks like every game is a slog for him at the moment.

• Like 1

Give the ball to Ings in the right areas he scores 95% of the time. Give it to Watkins at this moment with him out of form, he turns back and looks for a player, loses the ball or takes a  poor shot on target.

Ings for me, Watkins on his current form would not be missed, he really needs to have a word with himself. That celebration for Coutinhos goal said it all.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, villanmac said:

He's gone from a perfect strike partner in terms of awareness unselfishness and link up play in Che Adams to a nightmare one in Watkins who doesn't have that ability at all.

Yeah this is true.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Give the ball to Ings in the right areas he scores 95% of the time. Give it to Watkins at this moment with him out of form, he turns back and looks for a player, loses the ball or takes a  poor shot on target.

Ings for me, Watkins on his current form would not be missed, he really needs to have a word with himself. That celebration for Coutinhos goal said it all.

Yep, this all day!

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What happens when we can't get the ball to Ings in the right areas?

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

What happens when we can't get the ball to Ings in the right areas?

Then we don’t score!  

Same for Ollie, I don’t get your point!

If we do create chances Ings will score more than Ollie.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Then we don’t score!  

Same for Ollie, I don’t get your point!

If we do create chances Ings will score more than Ollie.

Exactly, when we are in transition Ollie is either on the left or right he hasn’t got the skill or intelligence to play in a creative position, central holding up the ball he’s fine, but with the quality of Coutinho and Buendia feeding intelligence balls Ings would thrive , in a good attacking team with the likes of Buendia , Sanson , Digne and Coutinho, Ings works better in a team lacking quality then Ollie is probably the better option. It’s good to have both but Ings is the better  option but that doesn’t mean by any stretch Ollie can’t push him and start instead of him from time to time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Can’t believe he got took off instead of Watkins.  

Watkins is so poor at the moment.  

Just play Ings up front next game and leave Watkins on the bench.

Ings will love the Coutinho and Buendia combo.

What does Ings offer though?  He is so flat footed. Don't think theres anyway Gerrard will start him ahead of Watkins

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

When Watkins isn't scoring he's a pest for defenders, he holds up clearances, he contributes to the build-up (despite what many on here proclaim). This creates space and opportunities for the rest of the attack.

Last season, yes definitely! This season, I don’t agree.  He in fact has a habit of breaking down build ups with incredibly poor decisions.  He’s not holding up like he used to, and he’s not pestering defenders like he used to.  He’s not the same Ollie as last season and actually hinders some of our play.

14 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Ings does non of this as demonstrated in the past few games. His team contribution is lack luster to Barkley levels. His general inaction makes our forward play blunt. 

This is just not true, just because you seem not to like him doesn’t mean he’s doing these things.

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

What does Ings offer though?  He is so flat footed. Don't think theres anyway Gerrard will start him ahead of Watkins

The goal scoring threat like the other game when he got the chance from a slide pass from Buendia he slotted it away.  With Coutinho and Buendia creating the opportunities going forward the better clinical finisher has to start.  If we didn’t have the creativity I might start with Ollie but now Buendia is starting to get some form and the magic of Coutinho them Ings is ahead in the best player to play with them.

19 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Exactly, when we are in transition Ollie is either on the left or right he hasn’t got the skill or intelligence to play in a creative position, central holding up the ball he’s fine, but with the quality of Coutinho and Buendia feeding intelligence balls Ings would thrive , in a good attacking team with the likes of Buendia , Sanson , Digne and Coutinho, Ings works better in a team lacking quality then Ollie is probably the better option. It’s good to have both but Ings is the better  option but that doesn’t mean by any stretch Ollie can’t push him and start instead of him from time to time.

Completely agree, I think Ings is the best placed for most of the games but if Ollie can regain some form then he can push Ings, if not even take the main role.  Ollie would be also more suitable against teams we are completely outmatched against if he can get some form back but teams outside the elite then Ings is the better choice with Buendia and Coutinho behind him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Last season, yes definitely! This season, I don’t agree.  He in fact has a habit of breaking down build ups with incredibly poor decisions.  He’s not holding up like he used to, and he’s not pestering defenders like he used to.  He’s not the same Ollie as last season and actually hinders some of our play.

This is just not true, just because you seem not to like him doesn’t mean he’s doing these things.

It's true, I'm not a fan of players who don't perform the basic requirement of working hard.

If Ings was this master finisher, as is being declared, and he coupled it with something approaching a work ethic he'd be some player indeed.

Alas, the more I watch him the more I'm pursueded that he's got his big payday transfer and that's enough.

Edited by jimmygreaves

I think we should start Ings next match and let Watkins rest on the bench. To see what Ings can do as a lone striker with our new exciting midfield (with that, I mean with both Samson and Buendia getting better for each match and with Coutinho coming in). And to give Watkins a small kick up his arse.

• Like 2

Â