Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

He's in there instead of a creator, which is a problem as we can't get him the ball in the positions he needs it.

If we had Bailey/Buendia behind a striker and decent full backs that can actually create then I'd rather we have Ings up there as he's a better finisher. Most of our games aren't going to be like that though and Ollie's work rate/style of play seems to work better with the rest of the team.

Ollie doesn't deserve to be benched but we also shouldn't have signed Ings to stick him on the bench. One thing for sure is that they do not work together.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I wonder if they get on back stage. I dunno but Ollie seems a bit of a sulker to me. Just speculating.

I pick up this vibe as well. But I think he's a laid back guy generally anyway, he's never desperate to join in celebrations either, and neither is El Ghazi.

I really rate Ings as a footballer, but I don't think he's right for us at this stage. If we had genuine wide forwards of the Mane/Salah/etc ilk, then you could probably play Ings in the Firmino/Jota role and he'd do a good job.

Given we don't have wide forwards like that, we really need our CF to be more of a workhorse and target man, who can bully defenders, win headers, hit the channels, and also score a few goals.

For those reasons, Watkins is the one who should be starting at CF every week, and I only see Ings as a squad player. And that's a lot of money to spend on a squad player who must still have England ambitions. Just don't think this is going to work out at all, unless we bring in some real quality in January.

5 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We need to try him instead of Watkins to have a proper opinion on him. As it is we can’t judge.

We already have. He doesn't have the qualities to lead the line in a 4-3-3 with wingers. Too lightweight. No aerial threat. Not quick enough.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, meregreen said:

With the poor delivery of our wing backs any striker would struggle. Not enough quality coming in from the wings. Needs addressing.

Under Steven's system almost all the quality crosses have to come from the full backs. Big reason our xG has been pretty abysmal since his arrival. 

As you stated not near enough quality there. Liverpool have 2 world class FBs. Trying to put that level of responsibility on our FBs will only lead to failure. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Felt like a panic signing at the time and still does. Panic signings still work out from time to time but so far this one has not.

Sadly there's an air of panic, a degree of misfortune and poor judgement about all 3 summer signings.

Not working for Ings at the moment but there's still plenty of time.

For me he hasn't looked fully fit since his injury early in the season, and so yesterday more than anything was a good run out for him.

I'm pretty sure that he will come good, we created chances for him yesterday which is something we hadn't done early on in the season. A couple of balls through to him had a bit too much on them to come off, but it's now starting to look likely. Once he's off the mark again he'll start firing, I'm almost certain of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Not working for Ings at the moment but there's still plenty of time.

For me he hasn't looked fully fit since his injury early in the season, and so yesterday more than anything was a good run out for him.

I'm pretty sure that he will come good, we created chances for him yesterday which is something we hadn't done early on in the season. A couple of balls through to him had a bit too much on them to come off, but it's now starting to look likely. Once he's off the mark again he'll start firing, I'm almost certain of it.

The Ollie one that he had to play with the outside of his foot that didn't have enough on it was the one, that was so close to putting him through on goal but didn't have enough on it 

Also thought Chelsea had some big blocks on him 

He didn't look good but then we didn't as a team, thought the biggest most noticeable thing last night though was he's not in the same league as Watkins when it comes to pressing

Edited by villa4europe

Â