Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

I know it’s early days but it’s very hard to see how this can be a successful signing. There’s a reason why Southampton were prepared to sell him for £25m but fought tooth and nail to keep JWP. With the salary that he is earning we can’t afford to take a chance to see if it works out, which I’m certain it won’t.

If we don’t try and offload him quickly, his age, salary and injury record will really work against us. We could end up loaning him out and still paying a large percentage of his wages. Any opportunity to offload him now and I would take it. He just brings more questions than answers for us at this stage. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I know it’s early days but it’s very hard to see how this can be a successful signing. There’s a reason why Southampton were prepared to sell him for £25m but fought tooth and nail to keep JWP. With the salary that he is earning we can’t afford to take a chance to see if it works out, which I’m certain it won’t.

If we don’t try and offload him quickly, his age, salary and injury record will really work against us. We could end up loaning him out and still paying a large percentage of his wages. Any opportunity to offload him now and I would take it. He just brings more questions than answers for us at this stage. 

He turned down a new deal at Southampton and was in the last 12 months

I can see him being fairly successful in games we're on top in.

He's technically far better than Watkins. I can see him scoring plenty in a flowing side making more chances.

Doesn't have the physicality though and should be either on the bench or one of the 10s in this shape at the moment.

Edited by Tomaszk

I love him to bits and think he is the better striker than Watkins. But is it ever gonna work, an can we drop Watkins without him having a strop.

Tout him to Newcastle maybe, now they are desperate for a striker, could get out money back at least.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Proven top quality Premier league striker. I'm willing to have some patience with him. 

It's been such a disruptive season so far. 

I agree.

His record speaks for itself, you don't do what he has done and be no good.

Something is wrong for sure, but to me it looks more like a fitness issue, but I an just speculating.

He has played 9 games, thats nothing.....you are right, SG et al....just need time to sort it out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I love him to bits and think he is the better striker than Watkins. But is it ever gonna work, an can we drop Watkins without him having a strop.

Tout him to Newcastle maybe, now they are desperate for a striker, could get out money back at least.

On Paper its a dream combination.....The manager and players, just have to work it out.

Danny has played 9 games for us and SG has been with us a wet day.....it needs time.

We could sign another striker and still the same outcome.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Ings is a better footballer than Watkins, there's no doubt whatsoever about that.

However, Watkins style suits our system better.

Ok so we can rotate depending on the game or especially if Ollie continues his poor form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Ings is a better footballer than Watkins, there's no doubt whatsoever about that.

However, Watkins style suits our system better.

This is the thing.

Certain players just don't suit certain clubs.

Ings is a good striker but he just don't fit the way we like to play.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

My worry is at the moment, Watkins does not look like interested in playing with Ings, or anyone else for that matter.

I don’t think he’s not interested in playing up top with Ings, he just works better up front by himself, he proved that last season

I think Watkins looks terrible in midfield - when he's been the striker he's been fine.

Ings is a decent striker, but he struggles a bit for supply when we limit the midfield by putting Watkins in there.

Either of these players are capable of doing a great job for us up front.

Either.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

when he's been the striker he's been fine.

He hasn’t though, that’s the problem.  If it was just the Ings/Watkins partnership then fine just drop one of them but even when he’s been on his own, Ollie has even poor.

Both strikers are in poor form whether playing together or alone.

Edited by nick76

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He hasn’t though, that’s the problem.  If it was just the Ings/Watkins partnership then fine just drop one of them but even when he’s been on his own, Ollie has even poor.

Both strikers are in poor form whether playing together or alone.

I thought he was class against City, and has generally looked much better when played in the centre on his own, but I appreciate he hasn’t hit the heights of last season.

• Like 1

Â