Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

14 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Offload him? Is this a joke?

Why don't we start delivering him some service so we can get the best out of him?

It's been a tough start to the season, the team have been out of form, pre-season was all over the place, we've had a change of manager and Ings has missed some games due to injury. A bit of stability at the club, and a change of playing style to get the best out of him and we'll see Ings bagging goals like he did for Southampton.

Not a joke at all. I am 100% serious. I am certain that we can only play either him or Ollie. Ollie has a better all round game to play that lone striker role. Therefore Ings is back up. I doubt he will want that. We should cash in whilst we can still recover our outlay.

It’s nothing against him. I just don’t think his game suits a 4-3-3 unless he is the CF. It’s the same for Ollie. They can’t both play there.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There are some bizarre comments on here. 

We sign one of the most clinical strikers in the Premier League and its a panic/poor/confusing buy. Get a grip people. 

Where would you play him and what would that mean for Ollie? I can only speak for myself but my view is you can only play one of them. Our need is much greater elsewhere and thus that is why I am confused by his signing. 

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Where would you play him and what would that mean for Ollie? I can only speak for myself but my view is you can only play one of them. Our need is much greater elsewhere and thus that is why I am confused by his signing. 

Footballers get injuries. Should we rely on Davis or Wesley as back up? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Play him upfront when we need to. I cannot get my head around people thinking we LITERALLY CANNOT have more than 1 good striker. It's utterly bizarre

Having more than 1 good striker when your midfield is poor is the point though. Why spend £25m on a bloke who you don’t need as much as a couple of centre mids! It’s literally not that difficult to understand!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Having more than 1 good striker when your midfield is poor is the point though. Why spend £25m on a bloke who you don’t need as much as a couple of centre mids! It’s literally not that difficult to understand!

No, we absolutely needed a second good striker as much as any other positions.

If you're looking for mis-directed spending examine our excess of wingers.  That's where we've spent money we could have better spent elsewhere. 

Buying an excellent striker when we only have 1 is never ever a bad idea and any team with any kind of aspirations outside the top 4 would have signed Danny Ings. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

There are some bizarre comments on here. 

We sign one of the most clinical strikers in the Premier League and its a panic/poor/confusing buy. Get a grip people. 

Plenty of examples of great players moving to the wrong club, and it not working out.

It’s not a criticism of Ings, I just don’t think he has the right attributes to play in the system that suits the rest of our squad. He has played most of his career in a front 2. He also has a shocking injury record.

• Like 2

It’s possible to acknowledge that we needed another striker but also have the opinion that Ings wasn’t the correct one. It did just look like it was a signing to placate the fans following the sale of Greasy. He’s so very different in style to Watkins.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

It’s possible to acknowledge that we needed another striker but also have the opinion that Ings wasn’t the correct one. It did just look like it was a signing to placate the fans following the sale of Greasy. He’s so very different in style to Watkins.

The jury is still out if he will be the correct one, so far he has delivered imo. But what is clear now is that he wasn't signed with a clear idea of how to use him. Or if they had a clear idea, and that was playing two up front, then apparently it failed. Could even say it led or at least contributed to Smith getting the sack. And now we have a new management team that doesn't use him in the same way as when he was bought. I think it's great to have him and Watkins to compete for one place, at times Watkins can play to the left in the front three. I think though that Buendia, Bailey and Traoré should be ahead of Ings or Watkins as the wide players/the two no 10's behind the central striker. If Ings or Watkins should be first choice as the central striker I'm still not sure, but I'm leaning towards Ings. As said, great to have the two of them competing for the place. 

7 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

The biggest question is whether we will play in a way which suits Ings or not. At the moment we haven't, but things can change. If Gerrard doesn't want to then Ings was a total waste of money. 

Hmm.... so buying a second striker (or even first choice striker) was a waste of money because somehow we knew that Gerrard would be replacing Dean Smith when we bought him?

Ings is a quality striker. We have work to do to use him properly - or he needs to adapt. Both of those are possible and both are more likely than not, imo.

6 hours ago, M_Afro said:

The problem there is thinking that we signed ings instead of a midfielder... 

Nothing to suggest it was one or the other, we were still pursuing JWP after the Ings signing 

The list of midfielders we wanted and why we didn't get them would make for interesting reading but I do at least think it's a case of we didn't get them and Gerrard and his team will no doubt add a few more names to that list and we'll try again 

We certainly needed a striker.

Wesley is hardly getting a kick at Brugge and looked way off prem level in his cameos end of last season. Davis already been out for two months and will likely get another injury. So with Ollie not being around in August we could've easily had less points on the board than we do now.

I think point that is being made is type of striker we needed would ideally be able to play wide aswell as CF. That Argentine striker we were linked with all summer up to signing Ings fitted that profile. That way he could've played on left with Ollie remaining as CF and go to that position when Ollie wasn't around so more logical than squeezing them both in to decline of other areas of the team.

Very interesting what front 3 we put out next week.

• Like 1

We have central midfielders - even two different types of deep-lying one in Luiz and Nakamba - what we didn't have was a worthwhile striker other than Watkins.

Ings didn't look particularly sharp yesterday but he's coming back from injury. Give him a bit of time, no surprise it would take a little bit to get back up to speed.

It's good to have different attacking options but we also need back ups to our first team players that are similar in style so our system doesn't shift and change every time someone is rested / injured / otherwise unavailable. 

As an example, if we're too move forward we need need our main striker , I think Watkins (Vardy) and a really good option for a different style like Ings (Ihaneacho) and now we need a similar style back up as well for the primary option. Personally I think we've already got this in Archer (Daka).

Leicester as an example because I think they've done an excellent job of building a solid European squad. 

Can't go wrong buying quality. I would get it if we already had that position sorted. After Ings we don't have 5 senior league goals between our back up options. That's appalling for any club trying to break into Europe. We had to upgrade there. 

Â