Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

13 minutes ago, villaslash said:

Since Gerrard hasn’t had Watkins and Ings fit at the same time it will be interesting to see what happens. With the top of the attack playing a little more compact at times I could see a top three of Ings Watkins and Buendia working a bit better. They all have that bit of skill and trickery for an unexpected pass to slice the defense open.

Hope we don’t sell anyone to Newcastle.

Ings as one of the 10s in that case though right?

14 minutes ago, villaslash said:

Since Gerrard hasn’t had Watkins and Ings fit at the same time it will be interesting to see what happens. With the top of the attack playing a little more compact at times I could see a top three of Ings Watkins and Buendia working a bit better. They all have that bit of skill and trickery for an unexpected pass to slice the defense open.

They both played in his first game.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

No it’s not… it’s sensible for a team that supposedly aiming for the top ten, top eight…to have two quality strikers on the books, I don’t think that is recklessly extravagant re the “profligate” you are saying.  It’s almost less risky given the options Ings gives us, the goals he will score, already scored, the pressure he will put on Ollie to keep at such a high level and also if Ollie is injured.  He could help us nick higher league placing or a further run in the cup and all the money that brings.  Villa fans have got to stop thinking small time that we can only have 11 players.

Nobody is thinking that Nick. Spin it like that to suit your narrative if you like but it’s not representative of the reality 

25 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Nobody is thinking that Nick. Spin it like that to suit your narrative if you like but it’s not representative of the reality 

Mate, it certainly reads like that quite often from peoples comments.  I can only comment based on what is written by others. I have no narrative honestly.

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

They both played in his first game.

Sorry forgot the first bit of that game and that Ings was out then back then out. Thanks. Perhaps better said is too early to know how Gerrard could use the two.

The signing of Ings surprised me but I’m thinking back to when we bought Heskey in the chase for top 4. 😉 Top half teams really need more than one striker who can do the business.

Certainly more depth at the top of the pitch then we have had for quite a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Ings as one of the 10s in that case though right?

It’s a tough call for sure. With Watkins regaining form I’d play him in the “11”but I think letting the two rotate fluidly during the game could cause some havoc. 

Ollie's got his mojo back so don't see him shifting from CF unless he gets injured. Although of course rotation will be needed over xmas with the two games in 48 hours part e.g. Ollie starting Chelsea game and Ings then getting Leeds away perhaps.

I don't see the point in selling him in Jan, end of season perhaps.

Would be so much easier if he could fill in on the left. Would've been more logical signing a striker who could do that in the summer.

7 hours ago, villaslash said:

You are Keinan Davis and I claim my five pounds.

9 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

A couple seasons ago samatta and borja baston were panic striker signings and now we are complaining about ings, a proven consistent Premier League striker, being a panic signing? 

It's mental. I find this thread very hard reading there are so many nonsense comments on here. 

If you're not happy having Ings on our books you're better off going and watching a different sport. 

Then they'd probably start moaning if Warwickshire signed Joe Root. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Crazy thought, but I'd bet Danny Ings wants to go and play football in Newcastle about as much I want to go on holiday there.

Would you be up for that holiday if you were payed £150k-£250k/week with some nice bonuses?

Not that he's on chump change here with supposedly £120k/w

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Would you be up for that holiday if you were payed £150k-£250k/week with some nice bonuses?

Not that he's on chump change here with supposedly £120k/w

Too cold. I am born and bred Birmingham but the coldest i have ever been is in the away end at the Stadium of Light. I remember that i only started to thaw out by about junction 42 of the M1. I wouldnt want to be that cold for an extra £100k a week. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Too cold. I am born and bred Birmingham but the coldest i have ever been is in the away end at the Stadium of Light. I remember that i only started to thaw out by about junction 42 of the M1. I wouldnt want to be that cold for an extra £100k a week. 

Can't say I blame you, I'm the same. Never go on holiday to anyplace colder than where I life. Then again I live in the middle of Sweden so most places are warmer than here.

IF Ings and Watkins can play in the same team (would still be keen to see Ings play in the AM midfield role off the left of Watkins) then keep.

If not, would definitely sell. I understand the concern around who fills in if Watkins is injured, but ultimately we could get a younger up and comer to deputise Watkins. The current top 4 hardly have 1 striker let alone 2 (Man City, Liverpool, West Ham). Chelsea kind of has 2 but I’m still not sure if Havertz is an actual striker.

15 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

IF Ings and Watkins can play in the same team (would still be keen to see Ings play in the AM midfield role off the left of Watkins) then keep.

If not, would definitely sell. I understand the concern around who fills in if Watkins is injured, but ultimately we could get a younger up and comer to deputise Watkins. The current top 4 hardly have 1 striker let alone 2 (Man City, Liverpool, West Ham). Chelsea kind of has 2 but I’m still not sure if Havertz is an actual striker.

Havertz is a midfielder, Werner is a attacker thou.

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

If not, would definitely sell. I understand the concern around who fills in if Watkins is injured, but ultimately we could get a younger up and comer to deputise Watkins.

So make the team/squad weaker? I’m not sure that makes sense.

Why do we need sell Ings? Are we broke or something? Yes he earns a very good wage but if we are serious about a top half of the table push why would we sell a proven PL striker for a young unknown? Plus aren’t we hoping the “young” is the likes of Archer and co.

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

The current top 4 hardly have 1 striker let alone 2 (Man City, Liverpool, West Ham). Chelsea kind of has 2 but I’m still not sure if Havertz is an actual striker.

They have players that score goals whether they are defined as attackers, strikers, wingers, attacking midfield….whatever!

Liverpool have Salah, Mane, Firminio, Jota and Origi…all players that can score plenty of goals in forward positions.  Who are our players that could score plenty of goals?  Ollie, Ings and maybe Bailey.  El Ghazi could but won’t get much game time, but the likes of Buendia are unlikely to be massive contributors to goals.

This focus on the word “striker” is just silly in modern analysis because the Liverpool 5 for example (mainly 4) all score goals in traditional striker areas but technically are classified as a different position.  They are just forwards

• Like 1

On 05/12/2021 at 22:13, nick76 said:

So make the team/squad weaker? I’m not sure that makes sense.

Why do we need sell Ings? Are we broke or something? Yes he earns a very good wage but if we are serious about a top half of the table push why would we sell a proven PL striker for a young unknown? Plus aren’t we hoping the “young” is the likes of Archer and co.

I think you answered your own question here:

On 05/12/2021 at 22:20, nick76 said:

They have players that score goals whether they are defined as attackers, strikers, wingers, attacking midfield….whatever!

Liverpool have Salah, Mane, Firminio, Jota and Origi…all players that can score plenty of goals in forward positions.  Who are our players that could score plenty of goals?  Ollie, Ings and maybe Bailey.  El Ghazi could but won’t get much game time, but the likes of Buendia are unlikely to be massive contributors to goals.

This focus on the word “striker” is just silly in modern analysis because the Liverpool 5 for example (mainly 4) all score goals in traditional striker areas but technically are classified as a different position.  They are just forwards

I didn’t say anything about making the team weaker. The problem is all those players you mentioned above can play together. If Watkins and Ings can’t play in the same team then we should sell Ings and find a player who can without weakening the squad. 

Â