Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

Whether you agree with people saying we should sell him or not, I do wonder what the board are thinking and how they’ll act if he doesn’t have a good season here. 

If he struggles for game time over the 38 games, it wouldn’t surprise me if we try to move him on. 

As much as I absolutely think this was a panic signing without a great deal of thought, he’s still a decent player and he may dislodge Watkins as a starter yet!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

For somebody who hasn’t hit the ground running he still has 3 goals and 2 assists as well.  We need two strikers, when Ollie missed the first couple of games we were thankful for Ings.  I’d doubt we’d move him on to leave us with just Ollie as a senior striker.  

Panic buy or not, he’s here now and a proven striker, I don’t even know why we’d consider selling a goal scorer of his pedigree and he’s a forward line presser like Gerrard likes.  

Yes Ollie does that the best but Ings is a better goalscorer and we need at least two strikers and he’ll get plenty of game time over the season I’m sure.  I doubt Gerrard would want to lose such a quality option.

Yep, all fair points 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Only that some people, for some unfathomable reason, seem to think we can rely on Cameron Archer and Keinan Davis if Watkins is injured again. 

Bizarre, we’re finally building strength in depth, why wouldn’t that be a good thing? Ings is quality and still has a big role to play here.

Watkins is a better  striker and he's not exactly injury prone , Ings needs to play every game to keep his form......don't take a rocket scientist to work out where's this is going to end. Just got to hope Watkins hasn't got a sell out clause..... 

He's a nice to have and I certainly would not entertain selling him unless some exciting deal was to be had to replace him.

That said if Julian Alvarez was still a possibility I'd do it in a heartbeat and see if Everton or Newcastle was interested in Ings. Just don't think Ings is a great fit and not sure he's content with being a bit part player.

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Honestly it shows how small time some of our thinking has become with this idea that we can’t have two good strikers at the club. 

Look at the side Man City put out and the names on their bench during their “injury crisis”. That’s ultimately the level we’re aiming to get to. 

They only have 1 striker (Jesus) and he's asked to be played at RW :D 

For me it's not about just having 1 good attacker, it's about getting someone in who is a better fit than Ings, until we do I've very content with having Ings as a option.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I knew someone was going to say that 😅

Fwiw I'm delighted we are on our way to building a squad with options and not just a starting 11 that always plays and then nothing behind it so I'm with you here.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Honestly it shows how small time some of our thinking has become with this idea that we can’t have two good strikers at the club. 

Look at the side Man City put out and the names on their bench during their “injury crisis”. That’s ultimately the level we’re aiming to get to. 

Man City can afford to carry these players because their income is so much greater than ours. We have to be smarter with our expenditure otherwise we will fall foul of FFP. We have to box clever. I’m sure we would all love to keep Danny Ings around just in case but can we really afford to be so profligate? It’s not small time, it’s sensible.

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

2 games ago Watkins was shit and needs to be dropped.  

I love this place. 

I thought Ings was a questionable fit in the summer too and was very much rooting for us to sign Alvarez. But I'm glad we did get a top attacker in as we need cover.

And for me pushing for Alvarez I had no idea he would explode in the way he has this season so that would have just been a slightly educated gamble from watching him a couple times and reading about him. I thought Cristian Pavón would be a great signing for us a few seasons back after watching him but he moved to LA Galaxy and did very little and is now back to Boca so shows what I know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we tend to see a lot of your only as good as your last game. As soon as Ollie has another poor game this thread will be about how Ings should start next one.

True.

I generally want Watkins to start regardless because of the work he does without the ball since that was so crucial for us last season. He's not really done this to the same extent this season and it's a new situation now with Gerrard in and Smith out so things have changed. Remains to be seen how Gerrard will handle this plethora of attacking talent.

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we tend to see a lot of your only as good as your last game. As soon as Ollie has another poor game this thread will be about how Ings should start next one.

Ings can't press like Ollie can.

That was absolutely crucial for us last season and it haven't changed.

• Like 1

Â