Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I think he was the perfect Signing to compete with Watkins 

I was looking forward to this seeing how Watkins deals with the threat of Ings taking his place. Let them fight it out for that striker slot.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem with Ings and no problem if he affects Watkins style of play. If Watkins wants to sulk and not adapt or work for his place that’s up to him. If they can’t work together than it’s Ings over Watkins every time for me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Based on what exactly? 

It was via a Twitter account but this person has been pretty credible over the last year or so.

Smith has never played 2 up top. It didn't make sense to me at the time why he would want Ings.

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

It was via a Twitter account but this person has been pretty credible over the last year or so.

Smith has never played 2 up top. It didn't make sense to me at the time why he would want Ings.

If Smith was happy to go into the season with Davis, Archer & Wesley as our backup strikers he should have been sacked on the spot. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Because you need 2 quality strikers in the squad even if you only play 1 in the first 11.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Because you need 2 quality strikers in the squad even if you only play 1 in the first 11.

Yeah we definitely needed another striker. Couldnt afford to go into another PL season with Davis as back up. Its not hard to rotate the pair, we can play certain games with 2 up top; Ings can always drop a bit deeper. But he should have managed the situation by chosing one until such time they underperformed, then rotate it. In theory having Watkins start and have him press and run around like a lunatic like he normally does, then when he tires second half we can continue with that same intensity because Ings will come on and do exactly the same. It should be beneficial; Smith needs to be more ruthless with his decision making. Seems he doesnt want to upset anyone. Unfortunately the team is mirroring him right now. Just a nice bloke who if he was bumped into at a pub and had a drink spilled down him, he’d go to the bar and buy a replacement for the bloke whos fault it was.

34 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We aren't in a position where we can have 2 x 30m strikers and always have one on the bench, this is highlighted even more when our CM for the last game was Nakamba, Young and McGinn. Nobody outside the top teams has 2 quality strikers, West Ham don't even have a back up for Antonio and Spurs don't have one for Kane.

We needed a really good winger who can also play up front if Watkins got injured. Rashford, Richarlison, Son type players. Ings and Watkins can both only play up front, it's absolutely messed up the entire balance of this team.

39 minutes ago, ender4 said:

You don't buy a 29 year old England striker with the thought of sitting on the bench, Watkins is fundamental to our high press game. The purchase of ings was strange to say the least, it forces us to play 2 strikers  up front which leaves 2 of Bailey, Bert and Buendía on the bench. 

If it was a young striker with potential I could understand the logic of buying another striker, Ings .....doesn't and never did make sense. Unless Watkins had other options ...

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

We aren't in a position where we can have 2 x 30m strikers and always have one on the bench, this is highlighted even more when our CM for the last game was Nakamba, Young and McGinn. Nobody outside the top teams has 2 quality strikers, West Ham don't even have a back up for Antonio and Spurs don't have one for Kane.

We needed a really good winger who can also play up front if Watkins got injured. Rashford, Richarlison, Son type players. Ings and Watkins can both only play up front, it's absolutely messed up the entire balance of this team.

Antonio isn't even a striker... really. 

Ings has to start at Southampton, assuming whatever kept him out of our last game isn't lingering. Covid/ soft tissue...?

Watkins didn't really look any better, and his goal was a scuffed shot that should really have been saved. Ings has shown greater threat this season, and hopefully will want to get one over Southampton to prove he made the right choice.

Only one of them can start and for me it should be Ings if he's fit.

I think he is a top striker, but I was hoping he would be a sub to change things up 60 mins in. A massive improvement on Davies who played that role last season. 

Playing 2 up top doesn't seem to work, and I think Watkins needs to start games and be our long term striker option.

We’ll have £20-30m worth/cost attacking players on the bench whichever formation we play, be it Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Bertie or Bailey. That’s what a squad is supposed to look like.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

Â