Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Stupid argument on here. Wanting to sell a proven goalscorer because afraid to have competition 

Some of the same posters then say the club dont have a winning mentality 

Wanting to sell a proven goalscorer IF we can find a better fit while also making money on Ings from a desperate club like say Everton.

Only speak for myself but I'm not looking to get rid of Ings without a plan. We'll see in the summer how this situation plays out. Until then I'm sure Ings will be useful.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Wanting to sell a proven goalscorer IF we can find a better fit while also making money on Ings from a desperate club like say Everton.

Only speak for myself but I'm not looking to get rid of Ings without a plan. We'll see in the summer how this situation plays out. Until then I'm sure Ings will be useful.

People saying sell him and play Archer is fanciful. End of the day you need good back ups to get stronger. 

Ollie could get injured tomorrow and miss 10 games. I would much prefer Ings to start than Davis, Archer or a January punt for a Samatta type

• Like 3

Just now, Zatman said:

People saying sell him and play Archer is fanciful. End of the day you need good back ups to get stronger. 

Ollie could get injured tomorrow and miss 10 games. I would much prefer Ings to start than Davis, Archer or a January punt for a Samatta type

Totally agree.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we tend to see a lot of your only as good as your last game. As soon as Ollie has another poor game this thread will be about how Ings should start next one.

Yep.

Ollie hasn't even been good this entire season, and literally before this match I saw people saying he should not be starting over Ings in his thread. Now people are already comparing him to Benteke.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ings would leave regardless if he becomes a bench player.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Ings would leave regardless if he becomes a bench player.

Yeh because it’s that easy to leave. He can just clear his locker out one morning and be off.   We have 2 quality strikers that will compete for one place. Why’s that so hard to understand? Don’t give me the pressing bollocks. They can both do it just fine. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh because it’s that easy to leave. He can just clear his locker out one morning and be off.   We have 2 quality strikers that will compete for one place. Why’s that so hard to understand? Don’t give me the pressing bollocks. They can both do it just fine. 

It doesn't work like that.

Ings is an established PL striker.

If he doesn't play he will leave. It's simple as that.

• Like 2

Just now, villalad21 said:

Ings is 29 on a 120k a week. Will be easy to shift

He isnt going to take a pay cut and why should he

• Like 3

Just now, villalad21 said:

No It doesn’t work like that.

You can’t just leave.

It’s not football manager.  

Plus who even said he won’t play. 

• Like 2

I think Ings is a good signing. The biggest problem is trying to start him and Watkins at the same time. We can’t sacrifice our formation to accommodate two players. Watkins can be dropped, he’s not a Jack Grealish in the end. Ings is better at certain attributes. But with the current performances I’d keep Watkins. Against the lower teams I think Ings would be a better choice. More skillful and very intelligent player. While Watkins main attribute is his work rate. We’re lucky to have both, but we lost some points because Smith was trying to accommodate them. 

2 hours ago, sne said:

Why strengthen another premier league team? Gerrard knows Ings , Ings is a good professional and will push Ollie, His opportunities will come

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I’m sure we would all love to keep Danny Ings around just in case but can we really afford to be so profligate? It’s not small time, it’s sensible.

No it’s not… it’s sensible for a team that supposedly aiming for the top ten, top eight…to have two quality strikers on the books, I don’t think that is recklessly extravagant re the “profligate” you are saying.  It’s almost less risky given the options Ings gives us, the goals he will score, already scored, the pressure he will put on Ollie to keep at such a high level and also if Ollie is injured.  He could help us nick higher league placing or a further run in the cup and all the money that brings.  Villa fans have got to stop thinking small time that we can only have 11 players.

• Thanks 1

We haven’t seen the Ings Watkins partnership really work but having two quality strikers is so vital. What if Watkins is injured? What if we actually subbed Watkins off after 75 when he has run the defense ragged? Then Ings’s deadly more technical finishing would make an impact.

I’m not sure we would want to sell to Newcastle if they came in for him. Let them try to splash some cash around in the championship for a bit.

When you think of all the strikers we’ve bought over the years as simple emergency cover instead of an equally good option it’s never worked out. Great to have a choice.

• Like 1

I think if someone offered us what we'd paid for Ings we'd probably take it, it's okay saying that we need a squad and good players on the bench, but in Ings case although it wasn't obvious at the time it has since become obvious that he wasn't bought with the intention of being a backup striker but rather he was brought in as someone to play alongside Watkins. And probably more importanly it's doubtful he would have signed for us if he thought he was going to be second choice only.

Now we have a different manager, and Watkins and Ings playing in the same team almost certainly won't pass the Gerrard vibe check, so we will have a player on the bench who's not exactly going to be happy there, and we'd probably prefer to have a younger player on less wages on the bench as well.

Truth be told, the signing didn't make a great deal of sense to begin, it would have made sense if he was brought in as a squad player as suggested but we since learned that that wasn't the case, and it's doubtful that the player will be happy with that.

The only team I can imagine possibly being interest though is Newcastle but if we're not compeletely out of the relegation picture by January then we will probably be reluctant to sell to them.

All that said he's still a useful player to have on the bench, just saying if someone offered us our money back now I think we'd take it and Ings himself if offered a regular starting place would also take it.

• Like 2

I would also point out we don’t have many attacking options.  So never mind just him vying with Ollie who started off injured, then Ollie in really bad form but looks to have turned that around recently but Bailey is injured, Buendia is struggling and Traore is injured.  We aren’t blessed with many options so while a lot don’t want Ollie and Danny on at the same time we may not have many options over the next couple of months.

• Like 3

Since Gerrard hasn’t had Watkins and Ings fit at the same time it will be interesting to see what happens. With the top of the attack playing a little more compact at times I could see a top three of Ings Watkins and Buendia working a bit better. They all have that bit of skill and trickery for an unexpected pass to slice the defense open.

Hope we don’t sell anyone to Newcastle.

• Like 1

Â