Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's a really good thing to have two players of this quality competing for one spot in the team and covering each other in times of injury. It's a sign of our strength.

Trying to shoehorn them both into the team is a daft idea.

There's a massive gap between Ings and Watkins and the rest of our strikers - we're going to need both over the course of the season.

Show's a weakness in our coaching team not to drop Watkin's for couple of games and give Ing's a chance to prove himself.  Look at what Rodger's and Tuchel did with Maddison and Mount. They were a little bit out of form and both came back flying.

if they can drop Ming's they can drop the golden boy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The likes of Archer and Davis would have been absolutely fine backup options for Watkins.

I echo the thread. Didn't need him.

Absolutely fine if Watkins was injured and out for the season? 

archer none of us really expected but Davis has proved he can go a season without a goal. How on earth is he considered a viable option for a side that should have been pushing for top half.

We needed to enhance the quality of our squad, if not Ings it still needed to be another senior addition who could contribute goals

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Show's a weakness in our coaching team not to drop Watkin's for couple of games and give Ing's a chance to prove himself.  Look at what Rodger's and Tuchel did with Maddison and Mount. They were a little bit out of form and both came back flying.

Personally at the moment, I'd put Watkins a little bit ahead, he has a bit more athleticism that we need at the moment as we don't have a lot of control of things.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Personally at the moment, I'd put Watkins a little bit ahead, he has a bit more athleticism that we need at the moment as we don't have a lot of control of things.

See I would say we need Ing's experience. He used to playing in a shit team😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Absolutely fine if Watkins was injured and out for the season? 

archer none of us really expected but Davis has proved he can go a season without a goal. How on earth is he considered a viable option for a side that should have been pushing for top half.

We needed to enhance the quality of our squad, if not Ings it still needed to be another senior addition who could contribute goals

Sure the poster has said that Watkins is the type of player that never gets injured 😂

I think he's a great player, just ironic that he comes into a side when there is zero service.

If he was playing last season when there was Grealish, Traore, even Targett and occasionally Anwar providing service he would be banging them in.

Instead we put him with a lone striker who looks as though he has no idea how to play with another striker and remove all service.

If he was fit and we started with wide players - any two from Buendia, Bailey, Traore, hell even Anwar or Bidace in wide positions I would start him instead of Ollie.

It sounded like he would be out for a few games though.

I don't think we needed to spend 30 mil on a 29 year old, but we definitely 100% did need more striker options.

I don't think anyone would be moaning had we not tried to shoe horn Ings into this stupid 3:5:2 formation, we can't blame Ings for that.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I wouldn't worry. If we finish any lower than midtable this season Watkin's will be gone anyway, so we will defo need Ing's

Where? He has been really poor this season and cant imagine many suitors on current form

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like Ings, great footballer, but I don’t see where he fits in a 4-3-3.

He played in a 4-4-2 at Burnley I believe, struggled to break through at Liverpool, and then mainly played in a front 2 at Southampton.

He just doesn’t have the physical attributes to play as lone striker, and he isn’t quick enough to play as a wide striker.

He’s too good to be a total flop here, but I think we’ll regret spending the money on him when we could have strengthened elsewhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I wouldn't worry. If we finish any lower than midtable this season Watkin's will be gone anyway, so we will defo need Ing's

Can't imagine the queue for him would be very long given his current form. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

he may follow Smith out if he goes?  Tottenham, I doubt Newcastle are going to attract huge names?

At the moment Watkins form is poor that he is still seen as a one season wonder. He is no different than Bamford at the moment 

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

What is going on here?! 😐 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I like Ings, great footballer, but I don’t see where he fits in a 4-3-3.

He played in a 4-4-2 at Burnley I believe, struggled to break through at Liverpool, and then mainly played in a front 2 at Southampton.

He just doesn’t have the physical attributes to play as lone striker, and he isn’t quick enough to play as a wide striker.

He’s too good to be a total flop here, but I think we’ll regret spending the money on him when we could have strengthened elsewhere.

I think he'd be fine in a 4-3-3 as the striker, but it would require a difference in play. What you get with him is great positional sense and predatory finishing, so if you can find him in the box, you've got a good chance of scoring. With Bailey, Buendia and Traore, we do have people who can do that. It would require a bit of a change, though.

As for your final point about spending money - perhaps, but it really depends on who was available at the time and for how much. We got a good price for him and he's a very good striker, the problem is that he's a bit too good to be on the bench, same as Watkins... 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Where? He has been really poor this season and cant imagine many suitors on current form

Anyone with half a brain would realise that Watkins's poor form this season is a mixture of formation and playing in a misfiring team. Do you think a club like Liverpool would be so blinkered just to look at this season in isolation?! Watkins has lots of skills that would be in demand elsewhere, regardless of performances this campaign. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Anyone with half a brain would realise that Watkins's poor form this season is a mixture of formation and playing in a misfiring team. Do you think a club like Liverpool would be so blinkered just to look at this season in isolation?! Watkins has lots of skills that would be in demand elsewhere, regardless of performances this campaign. 

I dont think so especially on current form. His finishing isnt great and his touch is very average. Clubs will also look at him without Grealish in the team

Â