Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I like Ings, great footballer, but I don’t see where he fits in a 4-3-3.

He played in a 4-4-2 at Burnley I believe, struggled to break through at Liverpool, and then mainly played in a front 2 at Southampton.

He just doesn’t have the physical attributes to play as lone striker, and he isn’t quick enough to play as a wide striker.

He’s too good to be a total flop here, but I think we’ll regret spending the money on him when we could have strengthened elsewhere.

I'd be surprised if anyone can do that when they're out with a done cruciate, twice

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if Gerrard will stick Ings up front on his own? Watkins is a great player but up front is not working with Ings. 

Would love to see them both in the team, but we bought Ings to replace what we  would be lacking from Jack's side of the game. But Ollie and Ings dont seem that far off to be honest.

Just to put it into context last season Ollie had 119 chances  - 55 were on target and he scored 16 goals, he hit the woodwork 8 times and missed 16 big chances (this is premier league data)

https://www.premierleague.com/players/8658/Ollie-Watkins/stats

Ings had 57 shots - 27 were on target and he scored 12 (he only made 29 appearances) hit the woodwork once and missed 6 big chances

https://www.premierleague.com/players/8245/Danny-Ings/stats?co=1&se=418

So yeah Ollie does squander some big chances but they both have similar ratio's when it comes to accuracy. 

On 12/11/2021 at 22:30, Spoony said:

Based on quite literally nothing, I have a feeling in my balls that he’s going to tear it up under Gerrard 

I'm with you here.

I love Watkins but sometimes I do think he lacks that elite level finishing that the better clubs strikers all have (tin hat on). However i am excited to see if he can be transitioned into that mane/salah role which would mean both these guys could play. 

Hopefully ings can start playing nearer the opposition goal in the new set up. I'm quite excited to see how gerrards tight front 3 works with him spearheading it.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

Ings is an excellent all round footballer, i would guess that he will suit Gerrard and how he wants to play, will be interesting to see how the team lines up once we have a fit squad (fit squad - lol).

For me it is pick one and sit the other.  I don't really mind which one plays, so long as it is because they are playing the best.  We don't have to fit them both in, it just makes the bench stronger and the options better.

• Like 2

Hes got a great goal scoring record but no way should he be first choice down the middle ahead of watkins who was one of our players of the year last year and is critical for our high press game. People have short memories.

What's disappointing me is he's really not pressing much. I'm sure at Southampton in their system he was always on defenders toes and making them kick long.

Bar a few goals he really hasn't often that much at all so think he'll go to the bench next week which will be good from Gerrard to show already he's not afraid to bench underperforming big name players.

• Like 2

Â