Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

3 minutes ago, maxjackle said:

I feel like Ings was a panic buy and we should have gone for a younger back up to Watkins. I would drop him and play 433.

Ings is a good player but not good enough to change formation for.

I don't think we'd have persisted with 352 had Bailey, Bertand and Buendia been available most of the season. 2 or all 3 have been out pretty much every game. Im not sure the formation change was planned at all. Maybe to 442 with wingers. I don't for a second believe we ever planned on going from 433 with everything going through Jack to suddenly 0 width from attacking players. It's driven by circumstance

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Everyone and their mums sees it

I disagree - I don't think Ings gives you the amount of consistent press that Ollie does (although he does press) and he definitely doesn't run the channels as well.

Shoe-horning Ings into the team has taken a lot away from Ollie's game. Ings was used a lot from the bench by Southampton last season! To protect him as he's 29 and has had 2 serious knee injuries - he can't start every game.

I think we should use Danny from the bench when we need to change it up or when we are chasing a game. Front three in a 4-3-3 has to be:

Traore/Buendia      Watkins          Bailey

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I disagree - I don't think Ings gives you the amount of consistent press that Ollie does (although he does press) and he definitely doesn't run the channels as well.

Shoe-horning Ings into the team has taken a lot away from Ollie's game. Ings was used a lot from the bench by Southampton last season! To protect him as he's 29 and has had 2 serious knee injuries - he can't start every game.

I think we should use Danny from the bench when we need to change it up or when we are chasing a game. Front three in a 4-3-3 has to be:

Watkins benefitted hugely from Jack's game, and now we see what he's about by himself. He's good in many ways, but he's not a real goal scorer. He needs too many chances to finish one. We need a goal scorer, which Ings is.

• Like 1

I always thought the signing of Ings was an odd one. We need to revert to one up top in a front three. Ollie is the best player to play this role for us but it has to be one or the other and not both. If we continue shoe horning them both in, it will end in the sack for Deano. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Most definitely not a panic buy.

Ings is a better striker and we lost the best chance creator in the Prem over the summer. The front office probably assumed we would get less chances per game and needed someone who had a better conversion rate. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, maxjackle said:

I feel like Ings was a panic buy and we should have gone for a younger back up to Watkins. I would drop him and play 433.

Panic buy? Two notes on this:

1. If we hadn't bought Ings, we would have been playing Archer or no striker up front when Ollie was out. Fans would have been calling for blood.

2. If you take Harry Kane at the end of this season, then (assuming his form picks up) his stats, age and injury record will be incredibly similar to Ings at the start of this season. It was a coup to get him. Opportunities for a team that finished 11th to pick up that kind of quality are few and far between.

Whether Deano finds a way to play Ings and Ollie together or if he rotates them, it was still a great piece of business.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

4-3-3, Ings in Watkins out for me at the moment.

This although I would be happy to put Watkins out on the left if both Bailey and Traore are missing.

That being said El Ghazi, Buendia & JPB are fine as options for wingers right now and will provide Ings a lot more ammunition for goals than we are currently creating.

On 17/10/2021 at 06:33, TheAuthority said:

He made 3 sub appearances last season

• Haha 1

On 17/10/2021 at 00:29, Wainy316 said:

4-3-3, Ings in Watkins out for me at the moment.

the only thing i disagree with is the "at the moment"

who's the front 3 based on what we had available Saturday? bearing in mind that due to previous injuries and international breaks buendia and traore werent fit enough to play 90 mins

im guessing we'd have gone el ghazi - ings - buendia vs wolves, who then comes in as the 3rd CM? again sanson isnt fit enough for 90 mins and ramsey and nakamba were both really poor on saturday

the 2 up top, 5 at the back doesnt work but i can see why we do it, we dont necessarily have an injury problem but we definitely have a fitness one, i dont even think watkins is 100%

1 minute ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Terrible today and rightly taken off IMO. Hardly looked like he broke a sweat!

Hopefully with Bailey starting more games he can offer more than he has today.

Obviously wasn't great (no one was!) but I thought he hassled more than Watkins tbh and did a couple of nice bits at the start of the second half (inc one shot which was blocked I think?).

Personally think he's our #1 striker at the moment.

26 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Obviously wasn't great (no one was!) but I thought he hassled more than Watkins tbh and did a couple of nice bits at the start of the second half (inc one shot which was blocked I think?).

Personally think he's our #1 striker at the moment.

Yeah - neither Watkins or Ings were great - personally thought Watkins offered a little more today but in poor form. Hopefully both players will improve as we (hopefully) get our attacking players such as Bailey in the team.

On 16/10/2021 at 23:48, maxjackle said:

I think he was the perfect Signing to compete with Watkins 

• Like 1

Â