Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Just now, Tom13 said:

Just comparing the options we have in our current squad.

yeah, fair enough.

I just dont think traore is the answer for us, he has his strengths, but we really need to be trying to buy the next level of players, not persisting with the traore's, mcginns, konsa types etc, we really need to just buy some genuine quality.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently, Bert isn't even performing in Turkey at the moment.

As much as I love Bert, i don't think there is a question of who the better player is when both are on form.

That’s a big call JV - I have been totally underwhelmed by Bailey to be honest with you.

Bertie is a mercurial talent and so typical of wingers in so much that the only thing they are consistent at is inconsistency.

I have watched Villa since 1975 and can say in all honesty Bertie is one of the most gifted footballers we have had in the claret and blue - Unfortunately he is also extremely frustrating in equal measure - however I also think of football as a form of entertainment and when on fire, Bertie is right up there with our finest entertainers imo    

• Like 1

Quiet I think but a lot of it to blame on Spurs. 

Bailey plays the more creative role to help progress up the pitch but Spurs often had a rest defense of 5 - > 3 CB’s and 2 CDM’s. Meant they couldn’t create but hard for Bailey and Watkins to go 2 vs 5 in the first half. 

Still worked hard in our half and only a shame he wasn’t a sub instead of Ings because he could’ve really ran at them when we were 2-0 up. 

• Like 1

Wingers like him tend to be players that are the least consistent just by the nature of their role, it's why even the best clubs around still have players that can be tarred with that brush.

Just kind of highlights that we could do with another player with similar attributes to him as currently he's more or less the only player in the squad that has pace and can threaten defenders 1-on-1.

Think he’s a dud. Only works for himself and not the team. Takes too many touches, never releases the ball and when he inevitably loses it he throws a hissy fit and takes himself out of the game for 10 seconds minimum. I’d sell whilst he has any value. He’s like Wesley and N’Zogbia combined. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

I thought he did OK today, brought us up the pitch in a first half we digged in. Times he did have a chance to put a cross in it was just Ollie in the box outnumbered

So did I. We sat quite deep at times so when he did get the ball he didn’t have much support.

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Think he’s a dud. Only works for himself and not the team. Takes too many touches, never releases the ball and when he inevitably loses it he throws a hissy fit and takes himself out of the game for 10 seconds minimum. I’d sell whilst he has any value. He’s like Wesley and N’Zogbia combined. 

He broke up a counter attack in the first few minutes with a selfless foul that should have got him booked after he was dispossessed a few seconds before. Hardly the sign of a guy who doesn't care about the team

• Like 1

Seems to lose confidence to early in games when things don't go his way. Needs to dig in and keep going rather than letting his head drop. 

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

Sometimes I wonder if he would be better on the left as he keeps cutting back inside and losing the ball. He's got the pace I'd like to see him be more direct 

Might help him if he can change over during the game, there's definitely a player in there it's just getting it out of him more consistently.

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

Sometimes I wonder if he would be better on the left as he keeps cutting back inside and losing the ball. He's got the pace I'd like to see him be more direct 

Definitely. For me his best performances have come from the left. 

I guess the issue is that Emery likes one of his fullbacks to get forward which seems to be Digne so needs the hard work of Buendia to cover it. So whilst I think Bailey is better on left (also think Buendia is better on the right FWIW)  we’d need to completely change the fullback setup because Bailey doesn’t offer the same amount of defensive cover. 

His attacking output in the Prem this season has been relatively good. He's in the 70+ percentiles for xG and Goals, xA and Assists, also successful dribbles. It's his atrocious pass completion % which is most telling. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Unfortunately this is it. Just doesn't cut it in this league. 

If it was up to me he'd be the first out the door if we have a replacement lined up.

You can tell he doesn't enjoy the tracking back or pressing but he still does it.

He's never going to skin a player and hit it on the run when played on the right, every single time he will cut back which loses any yard he may have gained.

This is why he is not as exciting as everyone initially hoped. Play him on the left and he can hit it in his stride on the run or cross it in his stride on the run.

It's a team game and while I think he is wasted on the right, and emi b less effective on the left, I do have trust in an elite manager and tactician.

Maybe for the more open games he will switch them round where the risk is less in Cup games against teams in lower leagues.

• Like 1

Â