Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Early days, but I'll be interested if there's any nerves when he starts, which I presume will be this week.

The crowd will be itching to get going every time he gets the ball. The sort of buzz that used to go round when you know who got the ball in a bit of space.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wonder if they’ll double up on him like they did to Grealish last year. 

I hate West Ham. Really hope we do them. 

I cant see why. When we had Grealish, the whole world knew we played everything through him. Bailey has barely featured and isn't the same player. If the villa team don't know how they play with Bailey, I doubt west ham will either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

"can't believe he's not started yet, clearly Smith doesn't rate him and he's not good enough!"

Wait, no one's posted that yet? Oh that is surprising, presume the 'write someone off brigade' are too busy plouging into the rest of the squad.

You're way behind mate, we've passed all that.

We are now retro actively worried about being a 1 man team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Early days, but I'll be interested if there's any nerves when he starts, which I presume will be this week.

The crowd will be itching to get going every time he gets the ball. The sort of buzz that used to go round when you know who got the ball in a bit of space.

Think it will really help the atmosphere if he starts. Will get a massive cheer when name is read out as many there on Sunday would've been at Everton game and seen impact and buzz he created then.

• Like 1

Whilst we all want to see him play every minute it is important to get him up to speed and not rush him back. If he has to come on as a sub then so be it. Hopefully it’s not to change the game though. 

Hopefully Smith goes back to 4-3-3 and puts Beundia out right and Watkins or El Ghazi left. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

Surely with a 45 minutes in the bank and ten days or so training Bailey is ready to play at least sixty minutes? I know, got to be cautious but I just want to see him start!

Starting Bailey might make a positive difference to the way we set-up and our mentality as a team whilst certainly lifting the fans inside Villa Park.

• Like 3

Noticeably quiet on this thread. Thought he was completely ineffective today and never looked like creating much.

The comparisons to Grealish and the statements that we’re still a one man team just with Bailey instead of Grealish may have been a bit premature.

I’m sure he’ll improve on today but the anointment of him as our new Messiah was a good example of the knee jerk reactions people make. 

• Like 1

Just now, tom_avfc said:

Noticeably quiet on this thread. Thought he was completely ineffective today and never looked like creating much.

The comparisons to Grealish and the statements that we’re still a one man team just with Bailey instead of Grealish may have been a bit premature.

I’m sure he’ll improve on today but the anointment of him as our new Messiah was a good example of the knee jerk reactions people make. 

Agree, he offered very little but is just coming back from injury. Like many wide players in today’s game though, he doesn’t look like he knew how to beat his man. These type of players are fine if they have space to run into but struggle in tight pockets or faced up by a full back. This is what made Grealish so good, would beat his man without thinking about it, he would just glide past them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

He was a bit sloppy on the ball, some nice touches but risky passes.

Not convinced with him on the left tbh, think he's better other side.

This is why Bailey is a strange signing when we already have Traore and Buendia for the right.

Bailey naturally prefers the right but we are playing him left.

Â