Julián Álvarez

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Will never happen but pay the 22mill and flog Watkins. Love(d) his pressing but I'd like us to start getting in players in who can trap a football on a consistent basis. 

I personally wouldn’t sell either of Watkins or Ings, I just wouldn’t start them both in every match but if I was forced to get rid of one of them, it would be Ings. Watkins has proven himself here, is much younger and has greater growth in him.
I’ve always felt a little uncomfortable with the Ings signing for some reason. Probably because I thought we had glaring deficiencies elsewhere that needed to be addressed first. I don’t ever want us to sign another player until our midfield is sorted out first! It’s the key thing holding us back.

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I personally wouldn’t sell either of Watkins or Ings, I just wouldn’t start them both in every match but if I was forced to get rid of one of them, it would be Ings. Watkins has proven himself here, is much younger and has greater growth in him.
I’ve always felt a little uncomfortable with the Ings signing for some reason. Probably because I thought we had glaring deficiencies elsewhere that needed to be addressed first. I don’t ever want us to sign another player until our midfield is sorted out first! It’s the key thing holding us back.

We can't keep signing players for c £30 mill, find they are not functioning and sell them for c £15 mill.

We've already failed with Samatta, Hogan and Wes, albeit for less money and many more....but the trait is there.

That is not a sustainable model....and one I would be surprised the owners would tolerate.

Edited by TRO

• 2 months later...

The only good I see out of this is that we seemed to have identified him and atleast shown a strong interest last summer. 

Doesnt mean he wasnt on the radar of others but hopefully means we are scouting other top talents* and we wont let the next one get away. 

* I actually know nothing about him or if hes any good.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Very real possibility we never had interest at all or we did and he had no interest in coming to us. 

In order of things to get worked up about with such little and dubious information to go off this is on the nano scale. 

Completely this!

The way this club operates if we had wanted somebody we go and get it done.  So either we never had interest or the player wasn’t interested in us.

This is not a f### up by the club, given what we know how the club operates, under this leadership, we know that’s not true.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2021 at 08:01, villanmac said:

Will never happen but pay the 22mill and flog Watkins. Love(d) his pressing but I'd like us to start getting in players in who can trap a football on a consistent basis. 

From what i have read from Tim Vickery and he actually said this , Alvarez is a Gary Shaw type player. Doesnt lead the line or have the physicality to do so. So in terms of playing in a Gerrard team i would say no.  Saying that Pep will probably play him as a DM 

1 hour ago, Jono62 said:

Would love it if he played on the left for City.

Well, Alvarez won't be playing instead of their golden-boy Foden so it is possible he is competition for Greal-hiss. 

Edit, well turns out Alvarez is a striker so perhaps not....I thought he was predominantly a winger but looks like he can play across the front three positions.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Â