Julián Álvarez

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

Very real possibility we never had interest at all or we did and he had no interest in coming to us. 

In order of things to get worked up about with such little and dubious information to go off this is on the nano scale. 

Who’s getting worked up? Just said it was a big mistake not signing him last year. The links were coming from the River Plate end, and they often do come from the selling club if we’re genuinely interested in a player. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villaglint said:

Very real possibility we never had interest at all or we did and he had no interest in coming to us. 
In order of things to get worked up about with such little and dubious information to go off this is on the nano scale. 

I don't think you write off him playing for river, huge team, from what I read when we were first linked to him he was used sparingly, they played him in big games but he didn't start every game, was in and around the argie team but again not playing every game

He's played his first full season at River and broken in to the national team after our supposed interest and he's been a star and now it looks like he'll get a bigger move

It sounds like good scouting by us to see what he was but every danger that he wanted this full year at river to continue developing and fair play to him he has, he's exploded 

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Well, Alvarez won't be playing instead of their golden-boy Foden so it is possible he is competition for Greal-hiss. 

Edit, well turns out Alvarez is a striker so perhaps not....I thought he was predominantly a winger but looks like he can play across the front three positions.

If he is a striker he wont be playing games either at City 😉

56 minutes ago, Awol said:

Who’s getting worked up? Just said it was a big mistake not signing him last year. The links were coming from the River Plate end, and they often do come from the selling club if we’re genuinely interested in a player. 

You said the club had monumentally f*** up. Which I realise is just words and not your emotional state. But really I wasn’t aiming it at you, just saying I don’t think it’s something I should get worked up by. He may be the next Messi but even though our name was linked we will never know at this point if we ever held a real interest or stood a real chance. 

• Like 1

I'm 99% sure he was gettable in the summer. 

It's his form this season that has made him a priority target for the big boys, he's been stupendous since September and scoring like crazy playing as a central attacker.

Before that he was a talented young right winger/second striker/ACM who scored a couple goals a season playing a bit part role for River. It was the injuries to Matias Suarez that cemented him in the starting 11.

He was absolutely on the radar for the bigger clubs in the summer too but so is hundreds of other players. Very possible that he would not have been interested to come here either way but with Buendia and Martinez I think we'd been in a favorable position to get him had we tried. We went with Ings instead.

Fwiw there is no guarantee that he'd had the same development had he moved to Europe in the summer.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

so another Man City bench warmer, or long term loanee.

nice.

With such a low release clause they'll have quadrupled his value just by signing him. Even if he never plays for them (I'm sure he will) he will earn them £50m at least should they move him on in 2 years.

I think we must remind ourselves that there is no substitute for the best playing abilities on offer. It's what transpires on the field that determines who wins and who is crowned come seasons end.

For that reason I think it would be a monumental credit to our club if we have identified and pursued this guy. If he is as good as what I'm reading then the likes of City and other clubs already established in the race for silverware and offering the height of remuneration were always going to be in the hunt for him also.

If he didn't buy into our vision so be it.

Â