Julián Álvarez

Delphinho123

10 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

We are not in a position to stockpile and speculate on players like City and Chelsea. We signed Ings and Bailey during the time we were linked with him. If he goes on to be a world class player then it's our bad luck, not incompetence.

Should have signed him instead of panic buying Ings to appease the fans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Given that he's moving to city I don't think we should assume we didn't get him due to anything we did / didn't do 

If he made a decision to spend another 6 months at River it's worked out very well for him 

Yeah I’m not convinced by this “we didn’t take the opportunity” on him.  I doubt this was about us.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Given that he's moving to city I don't think we should assume we didn't get him due to anything we did / didn't do 

If he made a decision to spend another 6 months at River it's worked out very well for him 

Probably shows our scouting team are looking in the right direction which is a good sign going forward 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

Probably shows our scouting team are looking in the right direction which is a good sign going forward 

Agreed.

If they could now just focus on players that stop our opposition going forward - that'd be great.

:trollface:

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Just a poor man’s Rashica. 46 pages is pathetic, shut this sh*t down. 

If we really wanted him we would have eclipsed the Bentancur thread.

In truth, both players are dogshit and I never wanted either of them anyway.

Angry Star Trek GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
50 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Did it ever come out how close we were?

I remember a highly rated River journalist tweeting he'd signed for us.

Seemed more agent talk imo just to get a few other clubs interested. That said Norwich have signed a few players from South America since DS went there so perhaps it was legitimate but he just didn't fancy us once Grealish went.

It's a shame as he's exactly the type of attacker in profile we needed in summer 2021 given he can play across the forward line and presses like anything. I actually think them dropping Lauturo Martinez for him is one of the big reasons why Argentina are in the final as their forward line has become so much more direct and threatening.

He's still settling in at Man. City so not sure he'd have hit the ground running anway so would've probably needed JPA level patience.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Seemed more agent talk imo just to get a few other clubs interested. That said Norwich have signed a few players from South America since DS went there so perhaps it was legitimate but he just didn't fancy us once Grealish went.

It's a shame as he's exactly the type of attacker in profile we needed in summer 2021 given he can play across the forward line and presses like anything. I actually think them dropping Lauturo Martinez for him is one of the big reasons why Argentina are in the final as their forward line has become so much more direct and threatening.

He's still settling in at Man. City so not sure he'd have hit the ground running anway so would've probably needed JPA level patience.

He just would have been so perfect as cover/competion/replacement for Watkins.

We lose so much when he does player and Alvaraz seems a very similar all rounder but much better in front of goal!

• Like 1

I genuinley think we were massively in for him, but with how Football transfers work these days I wouldn't be surprised if he was told through intermediaries to stay put for a year because Pep will sign you for Citeh. Sadly, that sort of thing happens these days!!

We were never realistically going to sign him, a previous agent of his might have held talks but it was nothing beyond that. There’s a reason why he turned down the MLS and others - he wanted Champions League. There’s a reason why nobody else picked him despite that ridiculously low release clause. 

Â