Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because he is a very similar player to Jack. If we are that adamant to sign him I think it means Jack is off. 

He might be off, but not necessarily this year. ESR might have been brought as a successor in 12 /24 months time and and will develop as Grealish's understudy before then.  If we were to wait that amount of time turn ESR would be worth 2 to 3 x the current price. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

i would not be surprised if we managed to get ESR.

I would also not be surprised if all of the reported bids are click bait paper talk and all absolute nonsense created to generate clicks for trash rags! 😜

Edited by MaVilla

I'd love this. If we've identified ESR as a key signing this summer then I hope we do whatever it takes to get him. 

If its true we are going back with a 3rd bid, then clearly we've been told a deal can be reached at some price. 

Arsenal can claim they want stupid money but with 2 years left on his contract they're not in the driving seat as much as they'd like to be. 

• Like 1

He turned Arsenal's season around and was one of their best players at the age of twenty, he's one of the best English players in his position in his age group, other than Phil Foden I'm not even sure if there is better, Arsenal are well within their rights to ask for a lot of money, if he was a Villa player I wouldn't want to sell him but if we had to I would want at least £50m, anything around £30m would seem cheap to me.

Also signing him wouldn't tell us anything about Grealish as they play different positions, for example if he did sign and then Grealish was to leave, I'd expect us to sign another player to play on the left as a replacement for Grealish.

I'd be dubious about these stories of a third bid though, seems like there's an element of people believing what they want to believe, when the sunday mirror said we wanted Abraham there were many dismissing it out of hand, stating the source as one that can't be trusted, and you can imagine the same would have happened if they wrote today that we wanted to sign a player that's deemed to be not very good, but because people want this to be true there's less scepticism...

What also makes the story dubious is that I doubt we'd bid just a few million more and I doubt that Arsenal would accept such a bid let alone entertain it, they will want a lot more, probaby talking £40m plus at least... If we have have put in a third bid then surely Ornstein or Percy would have reported as they've been first with news on this story up until now...

All that's not to say I don't think we will put in another bid, would just wait for someone more reliable to report it.

39 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

You are mad then. 

Inexperienced 20 years old with less than a one PL season under his belt, a very risky gamble, versus a 23 year old whose record is already better than Ollie’s?

Not mad, no. An element of playing devil’s advocate against the narrative here yeah maybe, but not mad at all.

How many offers will Villa make before walking away? Three rejected bids would seem the end of it. Hopefully this mooted 32.5 bid with probable add-ons seals it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Majority of people in this thread wanting us to sign him just to 'do one over' on Arsenal.

Nah. I think it's a fringe benefit and it weakens a direct competitor. Most people want the signing to improve the team, obviously.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KAZZAM said:

Majority of people in this thread wanting us to sign him just to 'do one over' on Arsenal.

Its nearly as sad as the Leeds fan's trying to promote a faux rivalry with us.

go on AFTV or their forums. no one cared about getting one over arsenal until they started talking about us like some insignificant little bug that should be squashed under their shoe. the way they were absolutely gobsmacked that little old villa outbid them for buendia. the nerve of us to even think about bidding for one of their hot prospects. their absolute certainty at how it means jack is leaving and actually that they should try and sign him. "Aston Villa should know their place" was one of the highlights i saw on arsenal mania.

sorry to sound childish, but they started it.

• Like 1