Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We're paying for the potential. He was very very good in those 20 appearances, and can only get better. If he makes his England debut with us (very likely), that fee automatically doubles. 35m is a bargain. Don't even think Arsenal would accept that. They'd be mad.

No, they can get worse. People take the improvement of young players for granted. Of the top of my head, Dele Alli was his age when he first had that storming season with Spurs and nowadays, I'm not sure we would even take him. Ross Barkley was also of a similar age when he first broke through with Everton and I think most here would agree he's no longer as good as he once was. Neither of them are old too and should be in the peak of their careers.

On average, young players do get better but the variance is larger than people realize. Its certainly not the case that a young player breaking through can "only get better". Some get worse, a significant portion of them stagnate. You can't take future improvement for granted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

No, they can get worse. People take the improvement of young players for granted. Of the top of my head, Dele Alli was his age when he first had that storming season with Spurs and nowadays, I'm not sure we would even take him. Ross Barkley was also of a similar age when he first broke through with Everton and I think most here would agree he's no longer as good as he once was. Neither of them are old too and should be in the peak of their careers.

On average, young players do get better but the variance is larger than people realize. Its certainly not the case that a young player breaking through can "only get better". Some get worse, a significant portion of them stagnate. You can't take future improvement for granted.

It's just an expression mate. I'm well aware there is a chance he can devolve into Aleksander Tonev.

39 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I would love us to pull this one off (awaits KW gif) but think eventually he will sign an improved contract at Arsenal, who'd be crazy to let him go (to us) IMO. 

Not seen massive amounts of him but what I have seen I have been very impressed, reminds me of a poor man's Jack (no shame in that) with his style of play, natural ability, the way he glides past players, comfortable on the ball, socks down etc..

Lots of potential and would be a massive coup to take him from the gunners.  I think him or David Brooks (possibly a cheaper option) would fit in really well amongst this group of players! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's an Arsenal fan, was one of their better players last season, they want to keep him, he wants to stay. He's probably been away for the summer but pre-season training starts for most teams this Monday, I suspect by this time next week he will have signed a new contract and this thread will be either locked or in other football.  Still it's a good sign that we're trying to buy this level and profile of player.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I've seen reports that suggest we will go after Dwight McNeil if we can't get Smith-Rowe. I know we were linked with McNeil earlier in the Summer and Smith-Rowe seems to be a bigger priority for the club since we have actually put in some bids for him, but I am more excited about McNeil personally. Obviously he plays on the left rather than through the middle which would allow Grealish to move inside if we wanted to. I know more about McNeil than Smith-Rowe and he has proved he can produce the goods consistently. How do others feel about it? Would you rather have Smith-Rowe than McNeil?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I've seen reports that suggest we will go after Dwight McNeil if we can't get Smith-Rowe. I know we were linked with McNeil earlier in the Summer and Smith-Rowe seems to be a bigger priority for the club since we have actually put in some bids for him, but I am more excited about McNeil personally. Obviously he plays on the left rather than through the middle which would allow Grealish to move inside if we wanted to. I know more about McNeil than Smith-Rowe and he has proved he can produce the goods consistently. How do others feel about it? Would you rather have Smith-Rowe than McNeil?

McNeil has had 3 seasons in the Prem and scored 2 or 3 goals with 5 or 6 assists in all of them. 7 Goals and 16 assists in 108 appearances all comps.

Smith Rowe has 36 appearances this season with 4 goals and 7 assists.

To me, ESR has a higher ceiling, can cover more positions and in his one year at this level has already produced more than McNeil ever has and he only really played the last 6 months.

I'd be happy with either and it's worth remembering that McNeil is at Burnley whilst ESR is at a more attacking team in Arsenal. But ESR is the better player imo and would fit our team, style and positions of need more than McNeil.

I also think it's highly unlikely Smith moves Jack to a 10 for a long run of games. He sees him as a LW. We'll sign an out and out 10 imo rather than a Lw and move Jack. So ESR becomes a much smarter buy unless we lose Jack. 

Edited by HalfTimePost

35 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

There was a Dwight Mcneil thread a couple of weeks ago, it died down after a while as we seem to have focused more on other targets. People were pretty mixed on him, not that he's a poor player, but rather he would be worth the investment we would have to pay to get him. Not unlike with Smith-Rowe.

Personally, I am of the same opinion on him as with Smith-Rowe. Simply too expensive and would rather look else where. In Mcneil's case he has the other caveat where we've actually seen him play for a couple of seasons for Burnley yet his goals and assists are actually rather low for the amount of minutes he's played. Which is usually countered with the fact that he's playing at Burnley so of course his offensive stats might look a bit shite.

Dwight McNeil doesn't make sense as an alternative to Smith Rowe, McNeil plays on the wing, his biggest asset is his crossing ability, of course people will say that Grealish can be moved into the middle but if we're trying to sign Smith Rowe that suggests we're planning to continue using him on the left I doubt we would change that just to accomadate McNeil, Grealish's position in the team won't depend on who we sign, who we sign will depend on where Smith plans to play Grealish.

47 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

McNeil has had 3 seasons in the Prem and scored 2 or 3 goals with 5 or 6 assists in all of them. 7 Goals and 16 assists in 108 appearances all comps.

Smith Rowe has 36 appearances this season with 4 goals and 7 assists.

To me, ESR has a higher ceiling, can cover more positions and in his one year at this level has already produced more than McNeil ever has and he only really played the last 6 months.

I'd be happy with either and it's worth remembering that McNeil is at Burnley whilst ESR is at a more attacking team in Arsenal. But ESR is the better player imo and would fit our team, style and positions of need more than McNeil.

I also think it's highly unlikely Smith moves Jack to a 10 for a long run of games. He sees him as a LW. We'll sign an out and out 10 imo rather than a Lw and move Jack. So ESR becomes a much smarter buy unless we lose Jack. 

Yeah agreed. Jack and AEG have the left side covered. It's not an area to strengthen. We've now got Buendia and Traore for the right. We need the replacement for Barkley now in 10 / second striker.

• Like 1

I have a feeling we’ll get this done, but if not the De Arrascaeta and Alvarez links might get some more traction again as not so terrible back up plans. 

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

I have a feeling we’ll get this done, but if not the De Arrascaeta and Alvarez links might get some more traction again as not so terrible back up plans. 

De Arrascaeta hasn't been mentioned anywhere in weeks. I think maybe it was never a legit link to begin with. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

De Arrascaeta hasn't been mentioned anywhere in weeks. I think maybe it was never a legit link to begin with. 

No idea, but as the “best No 10 in S America” I could imagine us running the rule over him as the back up alternative to a young English talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Dwight McNeil doesn't make sense as an alternative to Smith Rowe, McNeil plays on the wing, his biggest asset is his crossing ability, of course people will say that Grealish can be moved into the middle but if we're trying to sign Smith Rowe that suggests we're planning to continue using him on the left I doubt we would change that just to accomadate McNeil, Grealish's position in the team won't depend on who we sign, who we sign will depend on where Smith plans to play Grealish.

He plays on the left wing for Burnley because their tactic is to cross to Wood but he looks like he has the ability to adapt to be a right winger.  Most of his goals seem to come from that position.  I reckon Dean just wants a variety of adaptable attacking/wide midfielders who can rotate.

7 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Why are we suddenly talking as if this is happening? Has there been an update I’ve missed? 

You need to take things in the context they were posted.  Those are replies to a poster that says £35m for a player who has 20 senior appearances is a rip off.

I didn’t suggest that the transfer is happening, and quite frankly I don’t think it will happen, and even if it did it would be for a lot more than £35m.  

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

There was a Dwight Mcneil thread a couple of weeks ago, it died down after a while as we seem to have focused more on other targets. People were pretty mixed on him, not that he's a poor player, but rather he would be worth the investment we would have to pay to get him. Not unlike with Smith-Rowe.

Personally, I am of the same opinion on him as with Smith-Rowe. Simply too expensive and would rather look else where. In Mcneil's case he has the other caveat where we've actually seen him play for a couple of seasons for Burnley yet his goals and assists are actually rather low for the amount of minutes he's played. Which is usually countered with the fact that he's playing at Burnley so of course his offensive stats might look a bit shite.

It’s a different case…

ESR is due for a contract renewal & we are trying to nab him for what we deem a good deal. It certainly fits our transfer strategy - young, hungry, improving/developing and value will rise. I can’t see us going too far over 35m for him, prob 40 tops. 35 with add ons might be doable if he is not signing a contract with Arsenal… Or we look elsewhere and for better value…

Would be a fairly high profile or attention grabbing signing, taking a highly valued youngster away from a so call top 6 club (yeah right).

McNeil is on a long contract, fairly established and highly valued by Burnley who have no need or desire to sell. The asking price could be 50-60m and that’s a no go for me. Imagine the kind of players you could sign at those kinds of sums…

• Like 1

It's getting rather stupid now if these bids are right. Arsenal are not going to give him up are they?

I think it's obvious to Arsenal that we want the lad and they will hold out again and again.

If they do somehow give in third time I can see the papers coming out with the title of "Third time Lucky" or " If you don't succeed try, try and try again"

We should give up because to Arsenal fans were just making ourselves look stupid over this and I must say if we fail they are probably right.

Only way I seeing this working is if they go to ESRs agent and offer and unbelievable price to the point it most likely eclipses anything we already pay any of our existing stars, that would be very stupid to make that happen.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/07/04/report-aston-villa-really-think-arsenal-will-now-sell-emile-smith-rowe/%3famp

If they wouldn’t sell him at 30 mil, why would an extra 2 mil make the difference?

Im dying to know what the hell is going on behind the scenes on this one that is making us so confident.

Also, if we really were just spending the Grealish money, surely we’d just knock their socks off with an offer they couldn’t refuse, not these tiny increments.

• Like 3