Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

If reports are to be believed then it would seem Villa are sure this is who they want. Don't forget Purslow said that the club have an 'extremely precise' plan for this summer - I don't think we will give up on signing Smith Rowe, even if Arsenal are reluctant.

It does seem like a lot of money but then again, we thought the same about Mings and Watkins who are now worth a lot more than what we paid for them. Besides, it's not my money, and it's not like we need to buy that many players this summer anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

people thought we overpaid for mings

people thought we overpaid for watkins

i trust those in charge of our club that they'll get this right too if it goes through. people will think we've overpaid, but we'll prove them wrong yet again

That's pretty much my point, if he's talented then you pay the fee. Everything else will work it's way out. 

As things stand now I think our two first choice line ups are 4-2-3-1 with Jack-Buendia-Traore behind Watkins, or 4-3-3 with Jack and Buendia either side of him.

If we sign ESR I suspect that becomes 4-2-3-1 with Jack-ESR-Buendia behind Watkins.

Be great to have those options with Traore, Young, El Ghazi, Carney etc all also wanting minutes.

• Like 1

He's not entirely similar to Grealish to be fair, as much as they're not a million miles apart aesthetically and are both attacking players. ESR from what I know of him for Arsenal has been an excellent link man, him losing possession is really a rarity (for example Jack loses the ball more often as it's more his responsibility to take risks and make things happen in the final third) and often comes deep to collect the ball and connect defence to attack. His skillset would very much work in tandem with that of Grealish and Buendia and it perfectly fits the billing of what Smith was reported (by...Percy maybe?) to want this summer in terms of attacking players who offer greater control and consistency in possession as opposed to Traore and AEG, who as much as they contributed in their own right had a fleeting influence over the course of a full game.

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

A 20 year old who looks pretty amazing vs a 23 year old who contributes nothing towards his teams success apart from the goals he is spoon-fed. 

If that’s your sincere description of the trade-offs of ESR versus Abraham, it’s you that’s mad.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

go on AFTV or their forums. no one cared about getting one over arsenal until they started talking about us like some insignificant little bug that should be squashed under their shoe. the way they were absolutely gobsmacked that little old villa outbid them for buendia. the nerve of us to even think about bidding for one of their hot prospects. their absolute certainty at how it means jack is leaving and actually that they should try and sign him. "Aston Villa should know their place" was one of the highlights i saw on arsenal mania.

sorry to sound childish, but they started it.

your right they started it we could finish it

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Both Ghazi and Trez should be phazed out, come next window we should be really selling them if we're a progressing team on the up. Keeping both would be just admitting that were accepting to be happy anywhere we position and be one of the numbers.

Agree but El Ghazi is still an asset due to his goal contributions. Not great in play, struggles to beat a man, create chances and retain possession. He lacks consistency and maybe self belief and confidence, bit of a softy 😆 but he has that knack for getting goals and is ice cool from the spot… there may be more improvement in him.

Trez is such an honest and hardworking player, if he had the talent and technical ability to back it up he would be a genuine star.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

A 20 year old who looks pretty amazing vs a 23 year old who contributes nothing towards his teams success apart from the goals he is spoon-fed. 

Jennifer Lawrence Lol GIF

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Agree but El Ghazi is still an asset due to his goal contributions. Not great in play, struggles to beat a man, create chances and retain possession. He lacks consistency and maybe self belief and confidence, bit of a softy 😆 but he has that knack for getting goals and is ice cool from the spot… there may be more improvement in him.

Trez is such an honest and hardworking player, if he had the talent and technical ability to back it up he would be a genuine star.

i mean......you could say exactly that for a large proportion of players in the world.....

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why bother?

Boyhood Arsenal fan. Arsenal have stated he is not for sale.

Feel like we are wasting our time here.

Obviously our recruitment team know something we dont know, which I hope is the case generally but they certainly arent mugs so there must be something there giving them hope more than just agents trying to increase ESRs salary from Arsenal.

Edited by nick76