Euro 2020 : Group B (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia)

BOF

4 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Massive credit to the quick response from medical teams, players and referees. Very likely saved his life.

His Danish teammates protecting him is an image that will stick with us for a very long time I think.

Yep, Thomas Delaney I think ushering his team mates so that the world can't watch another team mate as he lay dying 

Not a clue how those Danes held it together whilst me at home sat watching on my TV was distraught 

• Like 1

Fantastic all round on the pitch. His teammates who brave and rallied around to guard him. The referee Anthony Taylor who reacted so promptly to get the medics on the pitch, as did the Finland defender and keeper. Finally the medics who we hope to got have saved his life now and he continues to be stable.

1 minute ago, KAZZAM said:

Thought I saw him awake, and the Danish players seemed relieved and more relaxed. 

Hope he gets well and also hope this isn't his career over. 

It's career over mate, defo

Flashes of the Grosjean crash in F1, that was utterly unbelievable too, always stay in my mind.

• Like 1

terrible terrible thing to happen, i really feared the worst watching it live, really happy he seems awake and stable.

best wishes to Christian, his family and anyone impacted by this.

shows just how fleeting it all can be......

• Like 1

Obviously what happened will all come out so this is pure speculation on my part.

I assume it'll be an undetected heart defect like cardiomyopathy but I thought they screened all footballers for that now.

I guess that the medics were able to get there in seconds and start CPR instantly meant it had to be heart related. The use of a defibrillator means the heart was fibrillating because they won't work if they find a pulse. They stop the heart so it can then start beating again normally. 

Doing CPR keeps blood moving around the body to stop organs shutting down and as footballers have such oxygen rich blood, the prognosis of having CPR for minutes is much better than non athletes.

I imagine he'll never play football again though. It could well be the exact same situation as Muamba. This is completely out there and may have no basis in truth whatsoever but I remember a heart surgeon telling me that he gave a heart transplant to someone who had an enlarged heart because they kept running training during a virus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Obviously what happened will all come out so this is pure speculation on my part.

I assume it'll be an undetected heart defect like cardiomyopathy but I thought they screened all footballers for that now.

I guess that the medics were able to get there in seconds and start CPR instantly meant it had to be heart related. The use of a defibrillator means the heart was fibrillating because they won't work if they find a pulse. They stop the heart so it can then start beating again normally. 

Doing CPR keeps blood moving around the body to stop organs shutting down and as footballers have such oxygen rich blood, the prognosis of having CPR for minutes is much better than non athletes.

I imagine he'll never play football again though. It could well be the exact same situation as Muamba. This is completely out there and may have no basis in truth whatsoever but I remember a heart surgeon telling me that he gave a heart transplant to someone who had an enlarged heart because they kept running training during a virus. 

Thank you for sharing Darren.

My neighbour had a heart attack out of the blue a few weeks ago, cause was a small clot of blood blocking part of the heart. 
He had surgery to remove it and is on the road to recovery. They were able to remove the clot in his heart going in via a vein in his wrist.

It's definitely athletic career over. Who cares though, hopefully he goes home to his family and enjoys a long life. 

So shook up seeing that all unfold the way it did. Fingers crossed he recovers well 

• Like 2

Â